Feral With Worms?

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the ferals I'm feeding has worms. Actually saw one on his butt. :climbcat: Also, he has lots of bald spots, someone told me it could be from the worms.

I purchased the PetArmor 7 way Dewormer. It says one pill for up to 12lbs. Problem is I don't know how much this cat weighs. He is an average sized adult male that has been neutered. Do I give 1 pill or 2?

Thanks.

RA

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's an average size cat, then he probably weighs about 12 pounds, that's exactly what my boy cat Demi weighs. I would stick with one pill just to be safe.
Bald spots can be from mites or fleas. I use Frontline Plus for both of those. Are you using a flea topical?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to touch him, but I was able to get a topical on him a couple months ago, but I didn't see any change in the bald spots, so that's why I assumed worms?

The reason I'm asking is because I tried 1 pill about 6 weeks ago, but he still has the bald patches and I'm not sure what else to do. I thought maybe it wasn't enough medication?

Also, how often do I need to give the wormer? I'm not sure what the life cycle of worms are and if 1 dose is enough?

Thanks.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is eating rabbit at all, and almost all ferals do, he will need worming at least twice a year to keep the infestion down. I always gave 1 1/2 pills to my ferals because I figured even at the top end of twelve pounds they could use it, and that is what my vet gave my housecats. It should give a chart on the medicine themselves, they all vary. Can you get a picture of him on your phone and and take it into a vet? They have seen a LOT of cats and can most likely estimate the weight easier. Make absolutely sure any wormer you are using is for tapeworms, THAT is the 'segments' you usually see hanging from animals. roundworm and hookworm medicine will not work on tapeworms. Bald spots can be from old injuries too, abscesses, or cat fights.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used that specific dewormer, but with Drontal I have to give a second dose 2 or 3 weeks later to get the eggs that hatch. For the bald spots, usually Frontline Plus works because it kills mites. Some people use Revolution, but I think you're supposed to get the cat a Heartworm test before using that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. This is what the package says, "treats and controls seven species of worms: two tapeworms (Dipylidium caninum and Taenia pisiformis), two roundworms (Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina) and three hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum, Ancylostoma braziliense and Uncinaria stenocephala)."

So hopefully this covers all the worms. I will try the 1 1/2 pills. I didn't know about giving it 2 or 3 weeks later to cover eggs that hatch.