Feral With A Badly Cut Ear

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A neighbor of ours went to the doctor to have a cut on her arm cleaned out & otherwise cared for. While they were cleaning it, she suggested using hydrogen peroxide to help prevent infection clean it up. However, she was told to *never* put hydrogen peroxide on abraded skin or otherwise open wounds. . . . I just found the reason behind that, online, and feel it should be seriously considered. So, below I post quotes from the article :

"Hydrogen peroxide is an effective antibacterial solution that should *never* be used on ... cuts and wounds.
It *disrupts* healthy tissue and *prolongs* healing. . . .

How Hydrogen Peroxide Kills Bacteria [& Healthy Cells As Well]

"Hydrogen peroxide works against bacteria, breaking the cell membranes open by attracting electrons. Inside the bacteria is an enzyme called catalase, causing the fizzing you see when the hydrogen peroxide reacts with the enzyme and releases one oxygen molecule.

"Hydrogen peroxide is a very good antiseptic *but* it is *NOT ABLE* to distinguish between ... healthy cells and those of the bacteria in [wounds]. The peroxide will attract electrons from ... healthy cell membranes, killing them, and react with the catalase in ... cells, producing the same fizzing.

"Low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide are actually produced by your body after metabolizing sugar or carbohydrates, promoting wound healing. Your cells have catalase to *inactivate* the hydrogen peroxide *produced-inside* the cells, BUT are *powerless* against the hydrogen peroxide you *add* to your cut from the outside.

"Excessive *oxidative damage* to ... cells from external hydrogen peroxide will *slow* wound healing and *increase* ... risk of scar formation. . . .

"Most clinicians today do *not* recommend using antiseptic solutions to clean a cut or wound for the same reason hydrogen peroxide is not recommended. The antiseptic will often *destroy* ... healthy cells, *slow* healing, and *increase* ... risk of scar tissue formation."

"Hydrogen Peroxide or Soap and Water to Clean Your Wound?"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/06/11/hydrogen-peroxide-wound-cleaning.aspx

(I post the following info about the author, because I've received warnings in past for posting links on this site, to information that was written by people whowere referred to in the warning as basically 'not really doctors' . . . when they *definitely are* doctors . . . just not accepted by conventional-only mindsets.) . . .

The author of the above is Dr. Joseph Mercola, a licensed osteopathic physician (DO) who, similar to an MD, can prescribe medication and perform surgery in all 50 states. DOs and MDs have similar training requiring four years of study in the basic and clinical sciences, and the successful completion of licensing exams. DOs help patients develop attitudes and lifestyles that help prevent illness, as well as fight it.

Dr. Mercola is board-certified in family medicine and served as the chairman of the family medicine department at St. Alexius Medical Center for five years. He is also TRAINED in BOTH traditional and natural medicine.

In addition, he was granted fellowship status by the American College of Nutrition (ACN) in October 2012. The requirements for this honor include: (1) co-author 5 or more publications relevant to nutrition in referred medical or scientific journals, (2) demonstrate significant experience in patient care, (3) hold a doctoral degree from an institution that is accredited by the Regional Accrediting Organizations, and (4) maintain status with the ACN.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great post. I usually use Betadine for an open wound. Yes it stains, and stings, but I have found the benefits are worth it. (I use it on myself....a lot)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very bad news.

My feral was diagnosed with feline aids and something called Large Granular Lymphocytic Leukemia. The cancer had affected his nasal passageways and his gi tract. He's an intact male and only weighed a little over five pounds.

My vet said that his cancer was very advanced and that he's been suffering badly.

She didn't think he would live another two to three weeks so I had her euthanize him this afternoon. She gave him a sedative first and then put him to sleep. I brought him home with me and I'm going to bury him in my yard.

I can't even begin to describe how bad I feel.

I know that if I'd caught him months ago he would still be sick but at least I could have alleviated his suffering for the time he had left.

I'm not a religious person, and I know that life is random and that nothing is really fair, but still. For an innocent animal to live a life of nothing but suffering . . . it breaks my heart and hurts my soul.

I'm thankful that he didn't have to suffer another two or three weeks, but that's about the only positive thing I can take away from this whole event. You are so right, RLG. Sometimes Mother Nature sucks.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your little friend. He probably hung in there for as long as he did because of you. He did not die alone, you were there for him.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
. . . I usually use Betadine for an open wound. Yes it stains, and stings, but I have found the benefits are worth it. (I use it on myself....a lot)
I use Organic Virgin Coconut oil. I find that it doesn't hurt, and rather than causing any harm or imbalance, it is a natural anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, & antiprotozoa. I've used it for eye infections, just before going to bed ... very soothing, & fights the infection too! Plus, I once used it to neutralize the burning in my eyes after working with a Euphorbia plant! (Supposedly, the pain should have lasted a few days, but it was gone in minutes!)

One of our semi-feral cats, a young male ('Grady'), last year developed an infection at a puncture wound on the side of his back. (I think his 'papa' had bit him there, trying to run him off, before they were fixed.) He rarely let me near him, and began loosing hair at the site, until the wound itself was over 1 sq. in. in size. At that point, the infection-debris had dried over the wound, with dirt & some plant debris stuck in it. One day while the cats ate, I put some semi-melted Coconut oil over 3 fingers, was able to wander over to the bench this cat was eating under, reach under & dab some CO on the crust over his wound . . . whereupon he jumped away. . . . I was disappointed, but the next day was happy to see that the crust was totally gone, & his wound looked totally clean & open to the air! . . . I continued putting CO in the food for all the cats, but they eat their food if I only use a fraction of the amount recommended as a daily dose. This was helping keep infection at bay, but the wound was not healing. So . . . I began adding Grapefruit Seed Extract to their meals. (I later learned I should have hidden it in a very smelly treat!) I couldn't use as much of this as recommended, either, or they would not eat the food. But, he got enough of it to make a difference. (When he occasionally missed a dose, the wound stopped healing -or regressed- until he got another dose.) His wound slowly healed up all the way, & is totally covered with fur again! :)

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your loss. Don't feel horrible. At least you gave him the things he needed as best you could. You also didn't allow a painful, awful death which he would have suffered if not for you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was kind of afraid of that. . .ferals don't usually look that bad unless something is very wrong. You did what you could; try to feel good that you helped him avoid a lot of pain and suffering instead of feeling bad about the lot he drew in life. Poor fella.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the diagnosis . . . but not surprised, due to your descriptions.

You did a LOT more than many would ever think of doing for him! And, at a great distance, no less! You have a Very *BIG* heart! You certainly did the right think in letting him go sooner rather than later! ):

Someday you'll find you're using all the things you've learned through your experiences with him, to help other cats or animals in need. In that way, he will continue on with you.

He's in pain no more . . . I wish you weren't!

I've gotten emotionally involved before, too, and aim to keep that to a minimum in future because of the extra pain involved when we have to part with them. But, I do understand that you just wanted to make things up to him, after those many terrible things that he'd gone through!

I think if I was you, I'd try to find a picture of a cat that he would have looked like if he'd not had such a rough life, and try to think of him looking like that when thinking of him in future.

Were you going to name him . . . ? I think of him as, "Hero".

{{{HUGS -&- TEARS}}}

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, please don't feel bad. You were there right when the cat needed you the most. Another couple of weeks and the kitty would have died alone. And now look at you, preventing him from suffering and giving him a decent, honorable burial in a place where he will never be forgotten. That is wonderful of you. :hugs:

I'm not a religious person, and I know that life is random and that nothing is really fair, but still. For an innocent animal to live a life of nothing but suffering . . . it breaks my heart and hurts my soul.
Now don't think like that. The cat did not know that things could have been better "on the inside". I'd bet he was a fairly happy cat for most of his 15 years on earth, until cancer and health problems made him feel bad. He went wherever he wanted and saw what he wanted to see when he wanted to see it. I expect his life was quite an adventure!

A 15 year old indoor cat is like an 76 year old human. A 15 year old feral cat is like a 128 year old human. Seriously! That was one tough old cat. He had a good long run. He led a charmed life even at the end, when such a kind human as you helped him to the bridge. :angel3: Bless you, and may the kitty rest in peace.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost him. :hugs:. That outcome unfortunately isn't surprising, given he was an intact male feral, but so sad. You spared him a lingering, frightening end. May he rest in peace.