Feral/Stray terrorizing my indoor/outdoor cat in yard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yemiya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention this, but the problem with relocation of a cat that looks healthy is that you dont actually know its not someones cat. If you take him for TNR and the cat isnt spayed/neutered, it becomes a safer assumption. And sometimes even with a spayed or neutered cat, a vet visit will reveal that the cat isn't being cared for, also making it a safe assumption.

yemiya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Several times, I've posted description of cat on local social media but no responses. I don't think he has an owner & was probably dumped. For all I know, he could already be neutered--can't get close enough to him to determine anything. Thanks!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try one of the apps like next door and see if someone would be willing to take him rather than returning him to your home after neutering? I don't know what else to suggest.

If It's your property though you shouldn't have to deal with nuisance animals living there.

yemiya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've thought of that but figured that no one would make a commitment, sight unseen, especially given his problematic behavior--even though it could improve after TNR, but no guarantee.

Regarding nuisance animals, there's nothing that can be done. Animal Services does not get involved in situations like this--it's totally the responsibility of the person who's at the effect of the behavior. Thanks though!

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying about cat being enticed once again after TNR--it's helpful to know and thank you for taking the time to respond!!
Hello! I’m hoping you will see this after so long- I was wondering whatever happened in your situation. I have almost the exact situation going on at my house, I have a former feral as a pet that will never be indoor only.
She has been terrorized by a cat coming around for almost 6 months now and I can’t take it anymore! I want to TNR it but like you I don’t want to release it anywhere near my place. I was hoping you came up with some brilliant ideas! Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, I would never relocate a cat that looks healthy & well fed. Some cats travel further than others, so the neighbors wouldn't necessarily recognize a cat even if it has an owner. And I feel like social media is a pretty lousy way to identify whose cat someone is. The most I would do is take it to the vet for spay/neuter, and if the vet feels the cat hasn't been cared for, then you can rehome or relocate.

We have public land behind my house, with a drainage pipe that comes from somewhere in a nearby massive development. For years, it was like a cat superhighway. And some of the cats caused problems. We were never able to find out whose cats they were, even though at least two were so big they were obviously well fed and not strays.

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again, I would never relocate a cat that looks healthy & well fed. Some cats travel further than others, so the neighbors wouldn't necessarily recognize a cat even if it has an owner. And I feel like social media is a pretty lousy way to identify whose cat someone is. The most I would do is take it to the vet for spay/neuter, and if the vet feels the cat hasn't been cared for, then you can rehome or relocate.

We have public land behind my house, with a drainage pipe that comes from somewhere in a nearby massive development. For years, it was like a cat superhighway. And some of the cats caused problems. We were never able to find out whose cats they were, even though at least two were so big they were obviously well fed and not strays.
We have a lot of ferals around where I live- I fed and TNR’d them in my yard for 9 years and never had a problem. Now after they’ve all aged out and I quit feeding everything this one is coming around just to pick fights and probably isn’t fixed and wants to mate with her. It crosses the street and is funneled down into my yard because the other neighbors have fenced yards- they said there’s a lot of cats living in the woods across the street. If it wasn’t looking to fight I’d just have it neutered and release it, but I’d really like to find someone with a farm that needs a barn cat- once I trap it I need to have a plan!

I do as much as I can- last year someone had a tiny kitten up under her car while she was driving out the road! Luckily she heard it and we got it out, he went to a foster home. ❤

teran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just found this site.mom having the same issue. My indoor/ outdoor cat( neutered) is being bullied by a stray that has taken up here. Over the years we have feed and taken care of many cats. Some stayed while others moved on. This stray has been coming around for about three or four months. He's intact and looks well fed and healthy. He's very friendly with my husband and I and our female but my poor Bluto is scared of him. We call him Brutal( the stray)and danger if he doesn't know his name. He sees our cat and goes after him. We've found our cat up a tree, on top of the house and in our dog's pen. He used to stay out all day and rarely came in, even going outside to potty instead of using the litterbox. Both cats did this. Now he hardly goes outside and if he does he stays on the porch. He does go out and stay gone until dark sometimes but he comes in food. But he's outside ricarrier at one time because I put the carr and the stray is asleep on the porch in a bed we made because its 30°outside. I think the stray was put out and may have been in a carrier out to get him a place to sleep. My cat is usually very accepting of strays, even males and he's a big boy. I won't bring the stray in because this is my boy's safe place and all the deterrents and suggestions are no good for the same reasons given. I can't stand to see any animal hungry, cold, hurt or scared. Our animal control says they don't even fool with cats because "they are considered free range animals".

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
won't bring the stray in because this is my boy's safe place and all the deterrents and suggestions are no good for the same reasons given.
Since the outside stray looks well-fed, then there's no issue in you not feeding him, and convincing him he needs to move on.

If you know that he doesn't belong to anyone, trap that outside stray, get him neutered and allow your resident cat to live in an environment with less stress.

This is extremely unfair to your resident cat, and additionally is unhealthy because that much stress is hard on a cat and can cause health issues down the road.

I want to TNR it but like you I don’t want to release it anywhere near my place
If it wasn’t looking to fight I’d just have it neutered and release it, but I’d really like to find someone with a farm that needs a barn cat- once I trap it I need to have a plan!
Please understand that most male cats' personalities calm down quite a lot a couple weeks after neutering, because the testosterone is decreased. You will basically have a different cat.

Last edited: