Feral/stray - How To Attract?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I could but the people around here are not friendly and they scare me.

But I do know her pattern. She circles past my house around 9am every morning and head out to the main street. But that changed about 2 - 3 days ago. I did go driving around the block looking for her and we did spot her near by but I haven't seen her since. I search for her everyday. The food continues to disappear. So, I could stay up all night and try to spot her but it's not even guarantee she'll come around. At this point, she might have had kittens somewhere. She didn't walk like a tom and she looked quite heavy when I saw her last.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any surveillance cameras unfortunately and I don't have a smart phone or anything that could record footage for that long.

Went out looking for her again but no sign. I'm not sure what else to do.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are leaving food out over night you will never know who eats it. Most likely it is other critters (raccoons, possum, skunk). These critters could be scaring her. Also other cats might be coming to the food and chasing her away.

If you cannot watch when food is left out, then you shouldn't be leaving it out for now. You have no idea who is eating the food. I would put out food in the morning and watch. You can leave out dry food, but it all should be picked up around dusk.

I would guess she is getting food elsewhere or something has spooked her. Hopefully she is not pregnant.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I do in fact know who is eating it because I just caught them red pawed! A beautiful orange tabby I dreamt about last night. We don't have raccoons around here or those kind of critters so I always knew it had to be a cat. My instinct told me to check and when I looked outside, there he was. Now that I know, I can definitely catch him.

I can see him right now from my backyard so I know where he's been hiding. He's not the cat I planned for but my main goal this summer was to take another kitty off the streets so no matter which one I start with, it won't be a disappointment.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine came back this morning but I forgot to fill the food bowl so she walked away! :frustrated:

I wanted to get a picture of her to ID her properly for the next time I see her but I couldn't find her. So, I now know that there are at least 3 different cats circling my yard.

I got in touch with the rescue that helped me get Hazel and her kittens off the streets to see if they can help again. I will inquire about renting a trap for them or going to a feral cat work shop.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I found an underweight adolesent kitten. He came around to my feeding spot. He is super thin and I can see bone. He isn't that afraid of me and came right up to my door. So, I opened it and gave him some wet food. How can I catch up? He definitely needs to see a vet and I don't think this rescue will get back to me in time. I have no traps as yet. Would it be possible to lure him into my house?

Another update... There is a whole bunch of kittens eating outside now. They look 6 - 9 months old. Definitely wasn't expecting this. I'm a bit overwhelmed now. How am I supposed to help them all?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It sounds like the skinny boy might walk right in :)

With the others, do the best you are able to do. Sometimes if you contact a pet food company and tell them what you're doing, they may send coupons so you can obtain food for less money. Hang in there!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going out to buy kitten food for them from Walmart. Will also be picking up wet food since they seem to love that more. But I can only feed it to them if I see them outside together.

The calico one came to my door and was really close to me asking for food but my dad scared him. Will he come back? If he's so thin, I'm assuming he'd come back, right?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I started leaving food out but it went uneaten. I kind of lost hope but continued to check. Yesterday, when I woke up, almost all the food was gone. Same thing this morning. To my surprise, little Jasmine (this is what I will call her because I don't know if she is really a 'she' or a 'he' but I feel like she is a Jasmine) had eaten it and came to my backdoor for more. I think I spooked her. She tried to hide behind an old piece of wood leaned up against our grill. But, I still saw her so she casually walked away from me and left. :sigh:

At this point, she is definitely a stray like most of the cats in this area. She made eye contact and her tail was high in the air. I showed her the bag so that she knew I was the one with the food but it wasn't enough. I hope she comes back. I set some food out for her to eat.

When I saw her actually step foot in my backyard I felt really hopeful. I thought I could set up a shelter out back for her for safety from rain or I could TNR. I'm not sure if I'm ready for another cat. But I feel a connection to her. I can't explain it but that day I called her and she actually looked at me, I knew I had to do something.

Any advice? Shelter outside or try to trap her and take her in? I don't know her medical history of course but maybe I could talk to animal services and strike a deal with them? Get her checked out my a veterinarian?

Edit: I know of a very budget friendly vet close by. Maybe they could spay/neuter for me if I explain the circumstances. If she is indeed female and pregnant, I might be able to get a hold of that lady from the cat rescue that took Hazel in with her kitten. I'm just not sure what to do. After Hazel, Smokey, and the whole lot of them, I'm afraid to welcome another cat into my home. I'm afraid things will go wrong because I regretten giving up Hazel and her babes. :frustrated:

I was thinking something like this as an outdoor shelter but they are very expensive.

When I first saw Jeff in my backyard it took five months for me to befriend her. I would quietly put the food and milk out while telling her "I won't bother you any," and then would walk back inside. I made very little eye contact with her. Me, the dish of food, and Jeff, just inched closer to one another every day. I always said the same thing "I won't bother you any." and I kept to my word, I never rushed at her, nor did I try to grab her. One day when she was an inch away I reached out to pet her, and it startled her. I told her I was sorry and quickly went back in. The next day I decided to hold my hand out for her to sniff while keeping my eyes down. She sniffed my hand and then jumped up to give it a butt with her head. We became fast friends that day and neither one of us ever looked back.

My point being is that you have earn Jasmine's trust. Take it slow and take it at her pace.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first saw Jeff in my backyard it took five months for me to befriend her. I would quietly put the food and milk out while telling her "I won't bother you any," and then would walk back inside. I made very little eye contact with her. Me, the dish of food, and Jeff, just inched closer to one another every day. I always said the same thing "I won't bother you any." and I kept to my word, I never rushed at her, nor did I try to grab her. One day when she was an inch away I reached out to pet her, and it startled her. I told her I was sorry and quickly went back in. The next day I decided to hold my hand out for her to sniff while keeping my eyes down. She sniffed my hand and then jumped up to give it a butt with her head. We became fast friends that day and neither one of us ever looked back.

My point being is that you have earn Jasmine's trust. Take it slow and take it at her pace.
Thank you, I definitely will. I remember when I was trying to rescue Hazel, it also took months for her to trust me.

But there are several cats now coming by nightly that are eating the food I leave out so I'm not sure what the course of action should be. Thankfully, Walmart food is pretty cheap but should I be trapping or gaining trust with all of them first? Should I focus on the kittens or the older cats first? What should I do?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I definitely will. I remember when I was trying to rescue Hazel, it also took months for her to trust me.

But there are several cats now coming by nightly that are eating the food I leave out so I'm not sure what the course of action should be. Thankfully, Walmart food is pretty cheap but should I be trapping or gaining trust with all of them first? Should I focus on the kittens or the older cats first? What should I do?

I understand what you are asking. I too am trying to win over a beaten up tom cat that has taken residence at my local store parking lot. And yes, when I feed him four other cats (all females), come over to eat. My plan is take him home and to trap the others, and with the help of my vet, get them all homes. I have already rescued one female cat who was so sick that she was starving herself.

Can you start changing food time for Jasmine, by either feeding her again in the morning/day time, or slightly adjusting her night time feeding by maybe twenty minutes? The purpose would be to isolate Jasmine so that she doesn't blend in with the rank and file. You would be able to softly talk to her without interference from the mass. Even if they wise up and come up a few minute into feeding her, it is still a few minutes that you had her to yourself.

The others I would still feed if you can afford to and try to see if you can trap them. Life is rough for stray/feral cats and they could use all the sympathy and compassion that they can get.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, they hardly ever come by in the day. It's either super duper early in the morning like 4am or around 9pm - 11pm at night. The children around here chase them and scare them off. The kids are always screaming and playing rough so they cats can only come out when everything is quiet which is only at night or very early morning. People also let their dogs loose in this area which makes the cats go into hiding in the day. This is why I really would love to have them fixed (because kittens are at high risk of being attack) and remove them from the streets and hopefully into loving homes.

The kittens are still young so I think it would be easy for them to adapt to a new home. I don't know if I could take them all in. I really wish I had a cat cage for them or else I'd be able to work with them better. The older cats will be more of a challenge because if they are being fed, most likely, they are breeding.

Also, the rescue is more likely to take the kittens. They do not take in stray adults. So, they'd fix them for free but then release them back to me. From there, I could try to find them a home but in my experience, people do not think of cats as highly as they do of dogs.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, they hardly ever come by in the day. It's either super duper early in the morning like 4am or around 9pm - 11pm at night. The children around here chase them and scare them off. The kids are always screaming and playing rough so they cats can only come out when everything is quiet which is only at night or very early morning. People also let their dogs loose in this area which makes the cats go into hiding in the day. This is why I really would love to have them fixed (because kittens are at high risk of being attack) and remove them from the streets and hopefully into loving homes.

The kittens are still young so I think it would be easy for them to adapt to a new home. I don't know if I could take them all in. I really wish I had a cat cage for them or else I'd be able to work with them better. The older cats will be more of a challenge because if they are being fed, most likely, they are breeding.

Also, the rescue is more likely to take the kittens. They do not take in stray adults. So, they'd fix them for free but then release them back to me. From there, I could try to find them a home but in my experience, people do not think of cats as highly as they do of dogs.
Thank you for caring about these little felines.

See, I personally think dogs are more expensive and much more of a responsibility than cats are, but that's just me.

They are going to breed no matter if they are being fed or not. Female cats go into heat every three weeks during the warm seasons, its a bummer. :(

If you are trying to get a cat trap, you might want to try craigslist.

Yes, the kittens will have no trouble in getting a home, kittens usually go like hotcakes when it comes to being adopted out.

Do you have any vets in the area who work with any of the rescue groups? Is the Barn Cat program available where you live?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Dogs are definitely wayyyy more work.

We have no barn cat programs because this is the city. Anything outside would be too far. I would have to contact the rescue directly for help with the cats, the vets don't do much.

Frankincense (Orange/White) is starting to come earlier.
Then, Jasmine, and then the kittens follow afterward.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom said that the orange/white adult cat belongs to a family not too far away. They call him Charlie but they don't keep him inside. He roams around the neighbourhood at all hours and keeps eating all the food I leave.

Would it be immoral to take him? It feels wrong... like stealing. But if he's just outside all the time then how is he really their cat?