Feral Socializing Assistance Needed

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So, I was trying to spay and neuter out surprise community cats (we had no idea they existed until we started seeing pawprints in the snow and had one give birth next to our front door). The one that we've managed to catch and neuter was extraordinarily tame, and we judged to be about seven months old. Because of how docile he was (he let up pet and hold him, but was still scared of humans), we decided to try and socialize him and rehome him instead.

It has been 2 months since we've been working with him and I've been reading as much information as I could on the subject of socializing feral cats (I've socialized very young kittens, but never one over the age of a few weeks old), and I think we've been doing an alright job. The thing is that he seems not to be going through any of the steps that other fetal cat socializers have been experiencing.

The situation that stands is this. I've put a small radio in the room he is in and leave it on so that he has the constant sound of human voices. I've blocked places that he can hide where we can't get to him but left areas where he can still hide (he has his own medium-sized soft carrier dog crate with his food, water, and some blankets as well as a comforter that I use to have on my bed that he likes to hide in). I also give him treats whenever I come in, leave, and when I'm in the room with him. I talk to him and lay on the ground for several hours whenever I can and hold him for about an hour every day. I've also started bringing him upstairs with me and hold him or let him just sit next to me (when he wants to) while I watch TV or am on the computer.

He's eaten from my hand before and will let us pet him in his carrier (then he'll lash out sometimes and try to swat at us). He's also tried to 'test' bite by putting out hand or finger in his mouth and slow bite (he never draws blood, just watches for our reaction. It's kinda funny actually). Sometimes he will curl up against me and just lay next to me on the couch, and he will move to make our hands pet him on the head. We can also pick him up without him hissing or trying to bite us.

Other times he tries to struggle to get somewhere to hide, and when we bring him back to his room, he'll run into his carrier to hide. He also won't come to us at all, and his tail is still curled up tight against him most of the time.

The problem is that I have no idea if I'm doing it right or if I'm just in a stalemate situation with him. It seems like things are going well, but at the same time, it seems like it's not going anywhere. Any help, insight or advice would be much appreciated as I want him to be happy and socialized. He seems to be better health-wise since we took him into the house (he was skinny when we caught him).

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it sounds like your doing well, maybe someone else will pop in and comment.

I have a difficult situation and compared to me you are doing great!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you are doing a phenomenal job. My experience with feral of that age, and I am in a very similar situation right now, is that they are not necessarily on a consistent upswing to complete domestication and may even retain a few quirks for a long time. You have to let them work on their own time frame combined with the effort that you are putting in (and you are doing so much!). I have had rescued ferals whom I considered to be pets who did not allow me to pick them up and who would continue to bite fingers given the chance. It is very cute how yours does a little "test bite." For 5 years my Chelsea would only allow me to pick her up with one arm because apparently no one knew what could happen if I used both of them.....This little boy is very lucky to have met you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat is like that with the picking up. She was a feral that we managed to get hold of when she was 2 months. She will attack you with love for petting, but if you try to pick her up she bolts before coming back for more petting.

I guess I'm just afraid that him not coming to us at all is a bad thing at this time because everywhere else I've read that seems to be one of the things that develop early on.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that the fact that you can handle him is huge. Some cats never really come to you no matter what you have done for them, especially ex-ferals, as it is in their nature to retain some of the standoffishness.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that the , not coming , is something you should be worried about. I can suggest that you use his name a lot when doing anything with him but I am summing he is still pretty young. The test bites may even be play on his part. Keeping his tail tucked under did remind me of a kitty I worked with. Has he been checked recently for worms? Is everything back there in good order? I know he won’t approve of you looking back there. I just wonder if he is having a little issue back there. He was neutered? Any trouble going potty? If he happened to have worms or any raw places then that could make him react differently at times. They all progress at their own rate so comparisons can be difficult. Apples and oranges sort of comparison. The worm ( or even a flea) thing is just a though. It is something I would check. If all is well then you just need to keep doing what you have already been doing. Talking, loving and playing. He’ll progress as he’s ready. You’ve done an amazing job with him and he obviously loves and trusts you! I think you are fantastic! Please keep us updated. We love hearing how these rescues go. It’s inspiring!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing great! I am working with a semi-feral cat who I fed outside for about three years and who has been inside for about seven months. About two months ago, I let her out of her safe room and now leave the door open all the time, but she stays in there most of the time. She will let me pet her only when I am feeding her treats and she rubs against my legs when I'm preparing her food, but I can't pick her up. However, she is making progress in small ways! She is less nervous when I get close to her, and she is coming out of her safe room more and more to explore the house.

The fact that you can pet him and pick him up is wonderful. And I don't think two months is that long for socializing feral or semi-feral cats. The best advice I have gotten from TCS is to stay patient and let the cat set the pace. Good for you for taking the time to make this kitty's life better!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can add is an 'Amen' to what the others have posted. Our former ferals all socialized at different rates- some fairly quickly, others not so much. Just remember that time and patience are the watchwords.. Good luck and keep us posted- and pictures, please!

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When he was neutered, they also gave him his shots and treated him for both worms and fleas. I did notice a spot under his chin and another on his face this afternoon that seemed scabbed over, but I think he could have gotten it while he was still outside.

Pictures I can do. I've been trying to convince a friend from work to adopt him, so I've taken a lot of pictures of him. He's a very handsome boy.

The last two are from last night when he was curled up next to me for a few hours watching TV.
20190329_222151.jpg 20190418_215330(1).jpg 20190418_215939.jpg

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - I want to say what a wonderful thing you're doing -doing what you can to keep the community cat situation at bay.

And as far as your guy you're working with now, I think you're doing spectacularly! I think you're doing everything right (VERY right!). Your only problem is, well, I'm not sure how to tell you. You've got.........

a cat. ;)

I'm kidding, but I guess in some ways I'm not. I completely understand your concern that you're not doing something right (most of us who've done lots of socialization STILL worry periodically that we're not doing something right) - something that makes this site so invaluable, letting us check in and get input from others, or at least be able to find people who can lend a sympathetic ear). But you've done virtually everything I do when socializing (with pretty darn good results - knock on wood) any kitty from young and feral to older and just scared. One feral litter (although only 2 months old) took several months before they'd let anyone but me near them (they now have a happy home together with an understanding, loving guardian).

Socialization results are far from "one size fits all" if that makes sense. To give you an idea of how differently things can go, I've got three examples. My hubby and I found a large colony of feral kitties in our little neighborhood (mostly feral, some strays or dumps - and the 3 here we know were 100% feral) - we've TNRd or trapped and socialized when possible.

One - "Flick" - was ostracized from the colony (we think b/c she has Cerebellar Hypoplasia). We trapped, spayed, and released her. Suddenly her sister (Raquel) began showing up with her. Flick began following my hubby around the yard, but Raquel wouldn't get close unless we were tossing them little bites of chicken. Soon my "we've already got plenty of kitties" hubby put a pink cat bed out on our back steps for Flick (yup - game over on this one!). After a few weeks, she was in the pink cat bed on our steps virtually 24/7, and began to climb into our laps if we sat down (game REALLY over at that point! :heartshape:). Then a neighbor began poisoning the feral kitties - so we brought Flick into our house, and our neighbors took in Racquel (even though she wouldn't come closer than 5 feet at that point). Within days, Flick was a complete lap cat (she's on mine as I type)...more loving and devoted than any cat I've ever had (which is quite a few!).

Raquel wasn't quite like that. Our neighbors worked for almost a year to socialize her and make her comfortable inside. It took a year before she'd come up from their basement - - almost 2 years before she'd let both of them pet her. They still can't pick her up, and though she knows her name, hides if called. They love her completely, but two sisters couldn't be more different in their response to socialization!

And the third example is Flick and Raquel's nephew- Brady. We TNR'd him about 4 years ago too - along with 4 others in Flick's immediate family (one sweet girl in the colony died last summer - so now there are only 4). They don't leave our yard much, as we feed and provide heated shelters in our garage. Within a few months, 3 of the surviving 4 would happily come when called, and would even let me brush them, scratch under their chins, etc. But Brady was different - - his extreme flight response was always there. Just this spring (after 4 years!) was I finally able to scratch his head, under his chin, etc.!!!!! But I'm thrilled with the little victories. :)

Hopefully these examples show how different even cats with the same genetics and background can be. So when I say "you've got a cat" I'm not being snarky - - -I'm trying to humorously make the point that your lucky youngster sounds like he's exhibiting fairly typical cat behavior. You've obviously done an AMAZING job with him if he'll let you pet him, pick him up...and he'll happily let you hand feed him - - and he'll even lie with you on the couch!! So many cat guardians would be thrilled if they could pick up their kitties! One of ours is very social 15 year old, but try to pick him up - - you better be wearing long sleeves unless you love scars.

I think your guy sounds wonderfully socialized (you've obviously done an amazing job of socializing!!!!!). And if you keep letting him know he's safe with you, he'll likely continue to get even more comfortable. I also always try to remind myself - - if a feral kitty (even a very, very socialized one) retains a bit of their heightened "fight or flight" behavior when threatened (which I think is why you're getting smacked when you reach into his carrier/den - - he feels cornered)- - I remind myself that's exactly the behavior that kept them alive outside. That heightened sense of self preservation is why you're able to enjoy this funny, sweet kitty now!

I hope that helps you feel better - - -and feel like you're doing quite the exceptional job!!!! (now we need some pics of him!!(

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scratch the photos comment - - - when I posted my reply I saw you'd just posted some! SOOOOO cute!!!! What's his name?

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the moment he's Patches. My mom named him because she complained that I name all the animals, but now she doesn't like the name.

I think he's keeping Patches for the long haul though.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that Patches is quite socialized. He is even doing the "look how cute I am" picture for you. Some animals never move into the running and jumping into your lap phase of life and I don't find that a failing. He is expressing a lot of affection in his own way and you have done a fantastic job with him. I hope he can go to his new home soon.

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still worried that he's going to stay in the hiding somewhere and never coming out phase.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have made a couple of misjudgments in my years of doing TNR and actually did end up with two indoor ferals....cats who should have been allowed to remain outside on their own terms. In both cases, and they were not from the same litter or at the same time, they avoided me and would not allow any contact, but definitely did not stay hidden. Both moved about the house freely, associated with other cats I had at the time, and were highly visible. The remaining one is sitting about 4 feet away from me now on a blanket, but always maintains her gunfighter stance....keep your back to the wall. I can see that your little boy is so far past that mentality that he will definitely make the decision to be sociable on his own terms.

FarmersWife24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So, I was trying to spay and neuter out surprise community cats (we had no idea they existed until we started seeing pawprints in the snow and had one give birth next to our front door). The one that we've managed to catch and neuter was extraordinarily tame, and we judged to be about seven months old. Because of how docile he was (he let up pet and hold him, but was still scared of humans), we decided to try and socialize him and rehome him instead.

It has been 2 months since we've been working with him and I've been reading as much information as I could on the subject of socializing feral cats (I've socialized very young kittens, but never one over the age of a few weeks old), and I think we've been doing an alright job. The thing is that he seems not to be going through any of the steps that other fetal cat socializers have been experiencing.

The situation that stands is this. I've put a small radio in the room he is in and leave it on so that he has the constant sound of human voices. I've blocked places that he can hide where we can't get to him but left areas where he can still hide (he has his own medium-sized soft carrier dog crate with his food, water, and some blankets as well as a comforter that I use to have on my bed that he likes to hide in). I also give him treats whenever I come in, leave, and when I'm in the room with him. I talk to him and lay on the ground for several hours whenever I can and hold him for about an hour every day. I've also started bringing him upstairs with me and hold him or let him just sit next to me (when he wants to) while I watch TV or am on the computer.

He's eaten from my hand before and will let us pet him in his carrier (then he'll lash out sometimes and try to swat at us). He's also tried to 'test' bite by putting out hand or finger in his mouth and slow bite (he never draws blood, just watches for our reaction. It's kinda funny actually). Sometimes he will curl up against me and just lay next to me on the couch, and he will move to make our hands pet him on the head. We can also pick him up without him hissing or trying to bite us.

Other times he tries to struggle to get somewhere to hide, and when we bring him back to his room, he'll run into his carrier to hide. He also won't come to us at all, and his tail is still curled up tight against him most of the time.

The problem is that I have no idea if I'm doing it right or if I'm just in a stalemate situation with him. It seems like things are going well, but at the same time, it seems like it's not going anywhere. Any help, insight or advice would be much appreciated as I want him to be happy and socialized. He seems to be better health-wise since we took him into the house (he was skinny when we caught him).
You are doing just fine! I found that my feral cat was very much afraid of the human voices on the radio so I switched it to classical music instead. He loved it! There are also YouTube channels with relaxing music, sounds, and images for cats -- if you have a TV or computer that can stream for you. Just follow the cat's lead. For awhile, it might seem like nothing is happening and then all of a sudden your cat might do something quite social that surprises you. Or maybe this is as far as this cat is able to go. It's probably going to be instinctive to slink off to hide for quite awhile or maybe for its entire life. From what you've described, you have a happy cat that is very much in love with you. You've definitely won him over!

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EEP!

So, I thought I'd been doing well with him, but now he's managed to go missing (again)!

He was doing so well, coming up to me and rubbing against my leg when I was laying down, coming to the gate in front of his room and chilling out while waiting for me to come in and feed him in the morning, and staying calm out on the couch with me for hours at a time. His tail is even up most of the time.

Today, while my mom was holding him and petting him, he got spooked. He scratched her by accident because he was scrambling and she was trying to calm him down and bolted. When I bring him out, I always leave his room open because he runs right to it if he's scared, so initially, I thought that was what he did. I was wrong.

We've checked throughout the house, and under everything, we can think of where he could hide. We can't find him. I know he won't go outside because he freaked out when I was standing in an open doorway and tried to scramble back inside (so I think he has no interest in going outside at all), but I'm worried that he won't come out to go to the bathroom, eat, or drink. He generally never leaves outside when he's out.

His door is still open, but I'm worried that if he feels safe in his hiding place, he'll stay there until we put him close enough to his room that he knows he can go in there without issue. The other cats still hiss at him, so I'm worried that will also cause problems with him coming out. He's not a bold kitten. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to worry. I know that’s not easy but chances are, when everything is quiet and still Patches will sneak back to his room. He just got shook up. Cats are masters at hiding. He’s probably watching everything, including you. When your other cats have settled on for the night and everything is dark, I bet he will be tip toeing across the house. I could suggest that you put dishes around with treats but honestly, he’s probably fine. You could try confining your other cats to carriers and making the house still, dark and quiet but if your others cry he may just stay put. I’ve had cats hide under or behind things that I would have sworn they could get under or behind. Then they sauntered out and I could swear they were laughing at my frantic searching. I even had a cat rip open a corner of a box spring and go inside it! Another pulled the dust cover from underneath one and went up into it. My most frantic time was when a Mom cat went missing. Her babies were crying and I was convinced that a crying baby would surely have brought her out if she was still here. Hours passed and I happened to notice a small opening by a pipe that went into a closet that held the hot water heater. There was a floor below the heater and when I aimed the flashlight under it, there she was. I thought she was stuck. I cut a hole beside the pipe and she just sat there looking at me, front paws crossed. Then I noticed the look on her face. She was happy right where she was!!Aaaaarrrrgh! I cut that hole for nothing. She came out the way she had gone in a couple of hours later. She was fine but I was a wreck! That opening is now totally sealed off. Lol I’ve always worried another kitty would find that spot. Just hang on and wait. When it’s quiet, listen. If Patches doesn’t show up then you can try sneaking around the house in the dark tonight. I bet you hear a kitty or spot a fleeting shadow as he heads to his room. Keep us posted.

rebecca snyder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He went back into his room! It's a major relief, but I have no idea where he was so I can't block it off!

I do have another question, though. How do I manage to integrate him into the household? He's very shy and prefers to hide than come out around people. I've gotten to the point of him not being behind a closed door for a few weeks now (there's a gate in front of the door), but I don't know what to do from there.

One friend suggested to take away his little teepee house, which is his hiding place, but I don't think that's a good idea. Another suggestion was to move his food, water, and litter out of the room, but I don't know if that's a good idea either.