Feral Shelter Placement

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding a stray for a few weeks and I want to make him a winter shelter
I know what kind I’m going to use but placement is an issue

I am disabled so I can’t go far into the yard he comes to my front door to eat
Can I place shelter along front of house close to front door ?
This way I can kind of watch and make sure he doesn’t freeze

I can’t bring him in because I have 6 of my own
Any info would be helpful

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything wrong with putting it close to the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was thinking of putting 2 large containers together and use one for feeding and other side for shelter
Following plans for a styrofoam container

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feral cat's shelter is 2 feet from my back patio door under the overhang. I think closer to the house is better since it's more protected from the elements. Bless you for helping the kitty and for being concerned for his welfare.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read somewhere that you should not have their food too close to the shelter, because that will attract other animals. So I would not put the feeding area right next to where they sleep.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read somewhere that you should not have their food too close to the shelter, because that will attract other animals. So I would not put the feeding area right next to where they sleep.
Oh that's a good tip. I wouldn't have thought of that!

My feral gets fed 3 meals a day, and eats each meal in less than 5 minutes, so there isn't food out all the time. A joined shelter/feeding station would only work under that scenario. We have too many other feral cats, raccoons and possums to leave food sitting out.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W watsekalady How wonderful of you - particularly while you yourself are dealing with disabilities - to be thinking of helping this little furry being!

It sounds like you know what type of shelter you'll be constructing/have constructed - but any questions on how to make one, don't hesitate to ask. We've made several types from varying materials - -- so I might be able to offer advice if needed. If not - LOTS of people on this forum have made plenty of shelters and can offer advice on just about any type! I've learned lots of little tricks to help make our dear ferals more comfy over the years. Things like - we utilize straw (not hay!!!) versus blankets inside the shelters - - -it seems less comfy from a human's point of view - - but the kitties can really hunker down and cuddle into the straw, keeping their body heat in (blankets - especially if they get damp from rain or snow ----they stay cold, even freeze, and such the heat away from the kitties.). If you need any how to videos or instructions - just ask. There are tons of great ones out there! You also might consider - if you have access to an outlet outside near the shelter - utilizing pet heating pads (NOT human ones - they're fire hazards, and can get way too warm for the kitty). We also always have heated water bowls so that our ferals always have access to water.

My only concern at all with a shelter near a front door is neighbors. I don't know if you live in an area where people understand about ferals and strays and their need for shelter, food, etc.....many on this forum (myself included) have to keep our shelters and feeding stations from being to visible to the neighbors, as MANY in our area have strong feelings against providing any type of care for outdoor kitties. So making anything extra visible by placing it on the front porch next to the front door would just be (for us) "asking for it." We've settled into a solution for our shelters and feeding stations - -- they're near our back door and also inside our detached garage (just a few feet from our back door - - so very easy to see - and access - from the house -- - but out of sight of neighbors!

Keep us posted on how you're doing - - how kitty's doing with the new shelter/feeding station!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that's a good tip. I wouldn't have thought of that!

My feral gets fed 3 meals a day, and eats each meal in less than 5 minutes, so there isn't food out all the time. A joined shelter/feeding station would only work under that scenario. We have too many other feral cats, raccoons and possums to leave food sitting out.
Do you have magpies also? Those guys learn fast and will show up in mass and clean up anything left. They also are not very afraid of cats. I have seen them steal food right next to one of the cats. And working in pairs one will distract the cat away from a dish while the other grabs what it can. They will even yank at the cats tail to get it's attention.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding a stray for a few weeks and I want to make him a winter shelter
I know what kind I’m going to use but placement is an issue

I am disabled so I can’t go far into the yard he comes to my front door to eat
Can I place shelter along front of house close to front door ?
This way I can kind of watch and make sure he doesn’t freeze

I can’t bring him in because I have 6 of my own
Any info would be helpful
Here is an instructable from a person in New York that makes shelters from foam boxes. There might be some ideas you can use.
Feral Cat Winter Shelter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have magpies also? Those guys learn fast and will show up in mass and clean up anything left. They also are not very afraid of cats. I have seen them steal food right next to one of the cats. And working in pairs one will distract the cat away from a dish while the other grabs what it can. They will even yank at the cats tail to get it's attention.
No magpies, but bluejays and grackles. I feed a wet diet. For a while I tried leaving out a little kibble, but he birds did come take it.