Feral Or Stray?

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cant assess if this cat is stray or feral. Showed up nearness my porch seemingly underweight. Ear clipped, so she’s been taken in at some point. Extremely shy- wouldn’t stay on the porch if I walked outside. Kept putting out food. A couple months later, would let me touch her. A couple months after that, would meow at the screen door for attention and purr loudly when getting rubs or scratches. Occasionally walks inside the house but is visibly nervous and will bolt for door if you move towards her. Sleeps each night on the patio chair.

I’m moving and can’t take care of her anymore. I don’t want to abandon her but also don’t want to force her to inside life if she’d really be happier left in the area she knows. Really struggling with what to do here

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She appears to me to be a former stray that after being abandoned had feral like behavior. The ear clip is a good sign as she has most likely been spayed. Since she allows pets and comes inside the house, getting her to be a house cat would really not be too much trouble at all.

At your new place, you would need a space for her. This could be a bathroom or extra room. I would cat proof it the best you can. Cats love to hide under bed and behind and under large furniture. You would need to put the bed flat on the floor or not have a bed in the room. Also block under and behind other large furniture. This way she can't hide.

Most cats take to the litter box pretty quickly. You can get some Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract or some people mix some dirt with litter. If she pees on the floor, just sop it up with a paper towel and bury the towel in the litter. This will attract her to it.

You must keep her inside at your new place. If not, she will try her best to find her way back to her old territory. Inside is the safest place for her. You can entertain her with toys, cat trees, bird feeders at windows and social time with you.

I just brought 3 truly feral cat into my home in late December. I had been caring for them for 7 years. I too was moving and could not abandon them. They depended on me for food and care. It has been a process, but they are doing great.

Thank you for caring about this kitty. I truly hope you can take her with you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. It took her about 3-5 months between showing up and actually letting me pet her, and she still gets shy if you're walking towards her, but she will now come up to me on the patio chair, allow me to pet and even lift her torso off the ground, and purr loudly. The more I've read this site the more I've begun to think she's not "truly" feral, despite her original behavior earning her the name "Shyness."

The only thing I worry about - which I'm sure many of you could speak to - is her happiness. I worry that taking her inside, she'll never be happy after giving up the free-roaming life.

Secondarily, I worry about my other cat, Jack. He's been with me ten years, always by himself, and is the sweetest, most relaxed cat I've ever known. I'd hate to stress him out or change his personality. He means the world to me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats will learn to get along with each other. Previously I brought 2 other feral cats into my house to mix with my resident cat. When I brought the 3 latest inside, I had 3 other cats living in the house too. They are now in the process of meeting each other. It can be done and so much depends on the personality of the cats.
She will go through an adjustment period learning to live inside. Yet she will be safe from predators ( both animals and humans), have food, shelter and love.

Would you have a room to keep her in that would just be for her? This is best when you bring cats inside and especially when you have another cat in the house. Cats are territorial and if you just put them together and hope for the best, there will usually be fights. A slow gentle period where she first adjusts to inside living and then introductions to Jack.

You also would want to get her vet checked. First to be sure she is spayed and secondly for vaccines and testing for FIV and FELV.

If you leave her behind, who will feed her? If you could line up someone else to care for her that might work, but she has bonded with you.

Also I agree that she is not a true feral cat. She previously had human interactions. This might make it easier for her to adjust to inside living. Also if all else fails and she is miserable inside and/or does not get along with Jack, you could possible build her a catio to live safely outside.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Coco was like that. I did not think she was feral because she ate out of a can. I took her in by grabbing scruff of the neck. I had to practice first. Her mom was stray then turned feral because she would only catch birds and rats.
Still very sweet. Coco is very shy. It took a few weeks for my cats to get used to her. It can take a week to months for cats to get comfortable. I wrote a long story about her in my profile
received_2028323890730798.jpeg

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most cats will learn to get along with each other. Previously I brought 2 other feral cats into my house to mix with my resident cat. When I brought the 3 latest inside, I had 3 other cats living in the house too. They are now in the process of meeting each other. It can be done and so much depends on the personality of the cats.
She will go through an adjustment period learning to live inside. Yet she will be safe from predators ( both animals and humans), have food, shelter and love.

Would you have a room to keep her in that would just be for her? This is best when you bring cats inside and especially when you have another cat in the house. Cats are territorial and if you just put them together and hope for the best, there will usually be fights. A slow gentle period where she first adjusts to inside living and then introductions to Jack.

You also would want to get her vet checked. First to be sure she is spayed and secondly for vaccines and testing for FIV and FELV.

If you leave her behind, who will feed her? If you could line up someone else to care for her that might work, but she has bonded with you.

Also I agree that she is not a true feral cat. She previously had human interactions. This might make it easier for her to adjust to inside living. Also if all else fails and she is miserable inside and/or does not get along with Jack, you could possible build her a catio to live safely outside.
There's no one at the old place that could consistently feed her, I don't think - it's a student housing complex; lots of people are there for a year or two then leave. But I've thought of that option as well.

I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow - to check on vaccines and to get her eye looked at (been watering for a few days).

I'm moving into a small apartment; the only option to give her some space at first will be to put her in the bathroom or the bedroom. A catio will not work, as I'll be on the third floor.

My options are to get her checked up and leave her where she is, perhaps trying to find someone who could agree to feed her; to take her home and hope it works; or, perhaps in worst case scenario, take her home but return her to "home" if she absolutely can't take it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please consider taking her. Also don't expect her to immediately adjust. It takes time and patience. Some cats will adjust quickly while others take a few months. My 3 have been in the house for almost 6 months now. They are making strides every single day. I could have never left them behind.

I hope you can find a way to make it work.

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please consider taking her. Also don't expect her to immediately adjust. It takes time and patience. Some cats will adjust quickly while others take a few months. My 3 have been in the house for almost 6 months now. They are making strides every single day. I could have never left them behind.

I hope you can find a way to make it work.
I am very highly considering it. Again, my concerns aren't with me/ the cost/ my time, it's only about what is going to make her happy, and secondarily keep my first cat happy.

To give you an idea of how much I'm struggling with this, I've already moved from the old apartment. My first night in the new place, having accepted it was best to leave her in her territory, I cried like a baby. Went back to the old apartment, got my landlord to give me an extra couple days, camped out in a sleeping bag and waited until she came by so I could trap her to take her to a vet.

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brought her home (after a full vet checkup, vaccines, etc). I'm keeping her in the bathroom for now with food, litter, and a bed to separate her from the other cat.

Incredibly, ridiculously sweet and content little thing. Within hours of returning from the vet she would purr loudly anytime I touched her, and sometimes just when I walked in the room. Now she purrs, weaves through my legs, and often rolls onto her back and kneads they sky while I rub her chest. The most ridiculously sweet and trusting stray I've ever met. Even though I've been getting to know her these past 7-9 months, I never thought she'd relax so fast inside the home.

Jack - the resident cat - is now my main worry. I'm keeping them separate, feeding them on opposite sides of the same door, and introducing Jack to things with her scent on them. Unfortunately I barely cracked the bathroom door once and he charged in, teeth and fur flying. I got him out fast but it was a pretty mean (all bark, no bite) few seconds. Gonna take awhile to get him ok with it, if ever.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad she is so super sweet!!
As for the intros, it will take time. Maybe months. For now I would not let them have any face to face time. I would concentrate on scent swapping for a few days. Rub her all over with a wash cloth. THen take that wash cloth and put Jack's food on it. Do this for a few days.
Next you can move to feeding by the door, but the door should be closed. You may need to do this for a week or more.

Cats are very territorial. Jack is defending his territory. Slow steady intros are the best. If you rush the process, it will fail. Most of us humans want to rush rush rush. Just be patient. Soon you can do some room swapping. Allow her time out of the bathroom and put Jack away.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
It took my cat Taz several weeks to adjust to his little step brother and sister living in the same house. I had Kitty and Rusty at work for a year so Taz was very familiar with their scent on me. I brought Kitty and Rusty home in a small dog cage and Taz charged the cage trying to hit them. A few swipes at the metal dog cage he realized he couldn't reach them and I assume it didn't feel nice hitting a metal cage.

Taz was already living with his step sister Zoe. We got Zoe when Taz was a still a kitten. Zoe accepted Kitty and Rusty much more faster than Taz did.

I kept Kitty and Rusty in a room for a month to month and a half gradually letting them out longer and longer. If things got tense I put them back in the room. The last few nights I was keeping Taz closed in the bedroom with my wife and I, allowing Kitty and Rusty to roam the house with Zoe.

It was a slow process that required a lot of patience and remaining calm. It is important to not let the cat(s) get you upset as they can pick up on the stress and make it more difficult if they get stressed out with you. Be patient and try to avoid getting stressed out. My wife stresses out easy and has a harder time dealing with our cats then I do.

I was worried that Taz would never accept them but now he has a younger brother to play with and doesn't bother Zoe as much. Taz and Rusty play rough but no fur or blood so...

Rusty is top left. Kitty top right. Zoe is bottom left and Taz is bottom right. No I didn't glue them down, it took me close to two hours to get that photo. Lots of petting, treats, more petting and more treats.

All the best to you and the kitties. Be patient and try hard to not get stressed out. And post lots of photos, people on The Cat Site love cute kitty photos:)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What awesome looking kitties. Thanks for sharing the picture of Shyness and Jack!

Sawatch22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's doing great! It's just Jack that I really have to worry about. He's still very anxious/ tries to run into the room anytime I open the door where she's at.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am happy to hear she is doing so well. It will take time with Jack. He is king of the house and is now threatened by the newcomer. Are you doing the scent swapping? Room swapping would be next. Also you can see about putting a cat in the door way. You sit on one side with Jack and bring some yummy yummy treats. Feed to Jack and Shyness. Just be sure Jack will not jump the gate. You can just toss treats to Shyness. I like to use plain cooked chicken or small bits of canned tuna. You just want them to associate each other with something yummy.

I used a tall barrier instead of a gate. My cats aren't great jumpers. I bought a 12' piece of wire shelving from Lowes. I had them cut it into 3, 4' pieces. I used zip ties to hold it together. It was very easy to put up and down. If your cat(s)are jumpers then you might need to go with 6' sections. Here is a picture and link to the directions.
Build a free-standing cat / dog / pet gate with virtually no tools

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Jack is all Bark no bite, I think this is a good sign!
Keep it up, It's going to work!!