Feral mom and daughter

catcaller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

(what im assuming is a) Feral and her baby who appears to be about 5 weeks or so came into my home on her own when I left my door open and as I approached her (I was going to shoe her back out) she ran! She flung herself at my window about 5 or 6 times but once she realized it was closed she ran out of the room and disapeard into my house.  Her baby was sitting on my door stoop so I brought her in as well.

The mom hid herself pretty well but I was able to locate her - she had wedged herself between my son's bed and the wall. I closed the room door and let her spend the night there because honestly her initial reaction sort of frightened me and I thought it would be wise to leave her alone - I didn't want to get her upset. 

The next day after I got off work I'd decided maybe id keep the kitten and let the mother back out so I stopped for cat supplies and went home. I got home and found the kitten sitting on my couch crying. I went to my son's room and the mother had not moved - not even to come to her crying kitten's aid. 

I picked the kitten up and put her under the bed with her mother. This calmed the kitten but the mom would not acknowledge her. I brought food and water into my son's room and set up a litter box too

The kitten ate, drank, and used the litter yesterday - The mom never moved. Before I went to bed I encouraged the kitten to come from under the bed with a mouse toy that hangs from a stick - when she came out the mom came out as well. I picked up the mom and she was shaking but she did not run. She had some goop in her left eye so I cleared it with some tissue and took that opportunity to check her sex before I sat her in the litter box - she did not use the litter and she did not immediately run back under the bed. She did about 5 mins of walking from the liter box to the food and back but she did not eat drink or use the litter.

I left her in the room again last night but her kitten had no interest in staying with her - the kitten slept in my room on the floor (in a pet bed I bought).

This morning I inspected the food and litter box but moma cat has not touched either.

I have shared this long story just to ask if this is typical behavior. I am concerned she may be sick- but I dont want to transport her to a vet (be in a confined car with her) until I fell comfortable she wont attack me - I want to keep her baby but I don't want either to have separation anxiety and I do't mind keeping them both but also don't want to keep a cat that does not want to be kept.  Should I give her more time to come around? How can I make her comfortable? Any information will be helpful as it has been over 15 years since I have owned a cat and I have no experience with Farel cats at all. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hello,

(what im assuming is a) Feral and her baby who appears to be about 5 weeks or so came into my home on her own when I left my door open and as I approached her (I was going to shoe her back out) she ran! She flung herself at my window about 5 or 6 times but once she realized it was closed she ran out of the room and disapeard into my house.  Her baby was sitting on my door stoop so I brought her in as well.

The mom hid herself pretty well but I was able to locate her - she had wedged herself between my son's bed and the wall. I closed the room door and let her spend the night there because honestly her initial reaction sort of frightened me and I thought it would be wise to leave her alone - I didn't want to get her upset. 

The next day after I got off work I'd decided maybe id keep the kitten and let the mother back out so I stopped for cat supplies and went home. I got home and found the kitten sitting on my couch crying. I went to my son's room and the mother had not moved - not even to come to her crying kitten's aid. 

I picked the kitten up and put her under the bed with her mother. This calmed the kitten but the mom would not acknowledge her. I brought food and water into my son's room and set up a litter box too

The kitten ate, drank, and used the litter yesterday - The mom never moved. Before I went to bed I encouraged the kitten to come from under the bed with a mouse toy that hangs from a stick - when she came out the mom came out as well. I picked up the mom and she was shaking but she did not run. She had some goop in her left eye so I cleared it with some tissue and took that opportunity to check her sex before I sat her in the litter box - she did not use the litter and she did not immediately run back under the bed. She did about 5 mins of walking from the liter box to the food and back but she did not eat drink or use the litter.

I left her in the room again last night but her kitten had no interest in staying with her - the kitten slept in my room on the floor (in a pet bed I bought).

This morning I inspected the food and litter box but moma cat has not touched either.

I have shared this long story just to ask if this is typical behavior. I am concerned she may be sick- but I dont want to transport her to a vet (be in a confined car with her) until I fell comfortable she wont attack me - I want to keep her baby but I don't want either to have separation anxiety and I do't mind keeping them both but also don't want to keep a cat that does not want to be kept.  Should I give her more time to come around? How can I make her comfortable? Any information will be helpful as it has been over 15 years since I have owned a cat and I have no experience with Farel cats at all. 
Yes, its quite common they are too tense in the beginning to ear or go on litter.  May even take 2 full days...

She doenst seem truly feral, she must have had a home once upon time, or at least, known some friendly human....

It will go splendid, you shall see!

Proceed, and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcaller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. +

Do you think it is a good idea for me to continue to approach her everyday and be friendly with her? I want to keep checking on her eyes and I would love to inspect her for fleas (kitten is flea free) but some info I have read on feral cats tells me I should not try to engage her and that I should let her stop hiding and find me when she is ready. Normally I would be ok with that but yesterday when I got to pick her up and clean her a bit I felt like she enjoyed the contact/affection (or maybe she was just happy to be up against a warm body instead of on the hardwood floor) and I want her to be happy and comfortable.