Feral Kitten - Help! Want To Do This Right

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bamaprncss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3701.JPG bigbadbass bigbadbass Definitely! I love watching as he get things as well. It has been an amazing few days already! I have rescued kitties before but they were a bit further along than Jackson. I have wondered if he wasn't abandoned by mom before she was killed? I'm so glad you rescued Bug and Princess. I have a special soft spot for older animals that have been through heck and finally find peace and love! Bless you for providing them the life they deserve!

@kittychick hope you're feeling better today! And yes, I am that person with Jackson. I think I am annoying the heck out of everyone with Jackson pics and stories but I can't help it! He is such a sweet boy! I should have clarified from the beginning that he would never have kept the moniker Vampire Kitty lol! I just didn't know if he was male/female at the time and deplore calling an animal "it." I can see how that does give a negative connotation to the poor little guy. I don't regret a single bite I got when rescuing him (now I have traps to avoid this in the future).

I overfeed all my animals as well, and I am certainly no stranger to food either. We are a family of eaters for sure! Sounds like from what you are saying I am right on the money food wise. I have been feeding him Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin but got him some Friskies pate last night to add some extra yumminess.

I think the litter box issues have been corrected. I have been using a box I cut down but did try and buy 2 plastic ones with slopes both of which are still too high for him. The problem came when he wasn't right next to the litter box and had to go potty. He would just go wherever he was. I basically just used the ol puppy house training method whenever outside of his safe crate of waiting until 15 minutes after he ate and setting him in his litter box. Now I see him actively go find it when he needs to go potty.

I do have a great vet that knows me well as they also serve as groomers for my Shih Tzu and I am there every other week to pick up meds for pets. I called this morning and was told to use Neosporin or Vaseline on his paws. He doesn't act like they hurt but I can't imagine they feel good. I will continue to keep an eye on them and hopefully they will get better quick. If not, to the vet he goes! He is going back this Friday anyway.

I am sick to hear about poor Bowie. How can people be so cruel??? They deserve the same treatment. I can't imagine how they treat others if they mistreat a poor defenseless kitty! Thank goodness he found a home with you! He certainly is a very handsome boy!

@daisyd glad I'm not doing the wrong thing indulging. So far I have kept the greedy cat away, but when they are together I'm sure that will be a struggle.

So for the daily Jackson update. He is getting more curious about me. He now lays in the open a couple of feet from me inching a little closer each time. He lets me pet him within reason but still isn't sure about the contact. He likes his ears scratched but then seems to realize he's vulnerable and whips his head out of my hand. He has stopped running from me which is a huge improvement. We are halfway through a very good book together and I think he will continue to allow my visits if nothing else, to find out whodunnit. Still not a big fan of being picked up but doesn't squirm as much now.

I bought several toys including one of those sticks with the boa/feather/bell dangling off and tried playing with him. He was confused what on earth it was but then the natural kitty instincts kicked in and he had a ball! I attached a few pictures of his playtime. I can't wait until he is comfortable enough for me to get a good photo of him! Speaking of the big greedy cat. I am a little worried. Spirit is a 16 y/o formal rescue (thrown out in a tied up garbage bag) that is not too happy about the new kitty. She tends to stand outside his door and hiss and today I found out she had tinkled outside her litter box. I know she's older but I surely there is a way to get these two to get along. Any ideas?

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awwwww, A LAP KITTY! So cute. And so quick. I'd predict he'll integrate just fine, attaching even closer to you as he ages. Like it or not (and I know you do) in his eyes...you ARE mama.

In a respect, I'm jealous of your interaction with this youngin'....I so wish I could have had Bug as a young, growing kitty.