Feral Housing

patyrod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leo.jpg

A feral kitty who lost his feeder when she was forced to move from her apartment complex has been coming around my condo. We trapped him and found that he was already neutered and had him tested and vaccinated and chipped to a local rescuer. It was decided that it would be in his best interest to let him go in his territory if I would agree to feed him. That has been going pretty well. We have named him Leo. Sometimes, I catch view of him eating, but have run into raccoons and some neighbors' outdoor cats trying to get the food. The food is pretty much hidden from the neighbors' view behind some tall plants. The only time I see Leo around is when he is eating. I don't know where he lives most of the time.

I would like to put housing for him on my lower deck, which is close to the ground. The problem is that my condo association is opposed to feeding stray cats. Also, my deck is visible to some hostile neighbors across the way who don't like cats. So, I would need a heavy (it is terribly windy in my area) enclosure that would look like a plant stand or other piece of deck furniture. We are allowed to put only plants and garden furniture on our decks. There is very little room for anything under the deck with less than a foot clearance on the level area. Most of the ground under the deck is a steep slope. Access to the ground for humans is difficult. One has to climb over the railing or take a rough brushy path up from the street.

Can anyone give me advice about this? Do you think the cat would even come up on the deck to stay in the house? Would the sight of my indoor cats through the windows put him off? He is a cute little guy so I would like to help him out.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a close friend who lives in a condo association where she is also forbidden to feed the feral cats. She still has 2 of the original TNR colony left and she feeds and has shelter for them. During the winter, she has a large outdoor table that she covers with a thick tarp. She places bricks on top so it doesn't blow away. Under the top, she has a heated cat house. No one can see it under the tarp covered table.

For summer time, the cats often will not use shelters as it is too warm. But winter is a different story. If you google feral cat shelters and select images, there are so many to choose from. I have made many simple feral cat houses from rubbermaid storage boxes to purchasing tent style shelters that fit under my deck to a glorious heated shelter my husband built.

Thank you for caring for this kitty. One tip is to be sure to never leave food outside over night. It will attract unwanted critters that can be not only a nuisance, but also cause problems for the cat.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment complex where feral cats are not welcome. I have a house hidden in the bushes. For something in the open I think disguising it as a piece of furniture by adding a table top to it would be the best solution. I find furniture by the dumpster and keep trying to figure out how to turn it into a shelter. I got a little coffee table I am going to try and turn into a feeding station.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like you could find a large planter improvised so that only the top half has a plant in it and the bottom half is open for access on one-side-only (not visible to the neighbors).

Are you handy enough to custom-build something, or know someone?

Something like this, but with no bottom boards on one side might work (could build it as a table or planter):

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this kitty!

There is something called "the kitty tube" that might work. Very inconspicuous - can be put on your porch and use the top like a table or hide it in you bushes. I would make sure it had straw inside for warmth. Blankets can wick moisture and become unusable.

Welcome to The Kitty Tube Store

That is the one I have in the bushes for my stray kitties. It already has insulation inside. I took the insulation out, because I am in Texas and it is rarely needed. I just wanted my kitties to stay dry in the rain. I didn't buy it though, someone gave it to me, because their ferals were not using it.