Feral Helping Feral?

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've taken in previous feral cats with only Muffin left outside. He still needs to be TNR'd but the low cost spay and neuter clinic is currently not taking in ferals. Anyway, one day I see him looking behind him and making some sounds when I went to give him his food. Out from the bushes appears this extremely thin female black cat. He continued calling for her and let her eat first before touching any food himself. I was really surprised! I've seen it a few times since including today. He'll call for her to come eat and will patiently wait a bit before he eats first. I wonder if this behavior is common or not with outdoor cats? I don't remember seeing it with Winter, Raven, and Wolf when they were still outside ferals. Maybe it's a bit different since she's a mature non-spayed female and Raven and Wolf were both spayed before they were old enough to be mothers.

The sounds he make are a very pretty trilling sound? Not sure what to call it. He makes the sounds frequently when he's calling her.

Of course I plan to get the female cat spayed as soon as I can. I figure I'll just have to call around different vet offices to see what to do if that clinic doesn't accept ferals again soon. I think for the records I'll call her Dot since she has a small white marking her chest.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The trill is something a mom cat does to her babies. Makes me wonder whether these two might be related. You might want to post on the feral board .

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have indoor/outdoor cats and one, Link, is a 3.5 year old neutered male (neutered at 3 months old). Link has done the exact same behavior on various occasions. It is really kind of cute because he will come meowing to the back door to come in (we have a cat door but it is microchip access). Then when I open the door he will glance back or run back to another random cat further back on the walkway. He will nudge and yell at the other cat to come into the house. My female, Rocket, will usually show up around then and hiss at the random cat. Link will then look very downtrodden and chase away the stray because it upsets Rocket. He is very protective of Rocket in general.

My brothers cat hated all other cats except this one little male that came around one day. That other little male and him were really good friends for a few months until the other male disappeared. My brothers cat has never been friendly with any other cat since then.

I am going with my standby , cats are weird.

Some cats like other cats, some cats only like certain cats, some cats like no other cats. Sounds a lot like some humans.