Feral Friendly Kennel/home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ComeBackKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those suggestions are what we did when we built a modular "recuperation station" for cats in our neighborhood who needed surgery and a safe, secure, comfortable place to recuperate without interference from anyone else. It worked really well. We attached a ramp to one of the walls, leading up to a platform with a cubicle in which we put one of those cat donuts from Petco. It was nice and snug and comforting.

Sounds nice.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds nice.
It was! One of the community cats needed to have an enucleation due to catastrophic injury and he was kept quite comfortable in there. No one bothered him, he could relax and yet see everything going on around him, and he got good food, fresh water, a clean box, and lots of love (from a little distance, as he wasn't really enamored of human attention).

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO glad you're getting good suggestions and feel encouraged - - - it's a good group here, and virtually every member (and I was thrilled to see you've got some very kind, very knowledgable ones who are already on this thread helping you!) here recognizes when someone's trying to do their best in a tough situation. I've been sick or would have weighed in earlier. I think what you're trying to do here is quite alot of work and shows how caring you are!

I'm trying to speed read through things -- - you mention in your intro that he's semi-feral, not feral. Has he ever been exposed to your dog? (and vice versa - - has your dog ever been exposed to ANY cat?). Because I think if I understood what was said earlier - - a suggestion was made that you cover perhaps the bottom portion of the cage so that the kitty can watch the dog from on high - and get used to his movements, his smell, (and he can begin to become accustomed to that gorgeous kitty's scent, etc.) - as well as you and your mothers. You may be surprised - - - he may be able to be - and WANT to be - let out more than you realize! Starting this way that you're working on makes sense - - and it's wonderful you're willing to take it on. I've got my fingers crossed that eventually (with some sllllooooowwww intro work that lots of us here can help you with) the crate becomes more of a coat rack!!!

Please keep us posted - - -and again - - - a BIG pat on the back for caring so much!

ComeBackKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm SO glad you're getting good suggestions and feel encouraged - - - it's a good group here, and virtually every member (and I was thrilled to see you've got some very kind, very knowledgable ones who are already on this thread helping you!) here recognizes when someone's trying to do their best in a tough situation. I've been sick or would have weighed in earlier. I think what you're trying to do here is quite alot of work and shows how caring you are!

I'm trying to speed read through things -- - you mention in your intro that he's semi-feral, not feral. Has he ever been exposed to your dog? (and vice versa - - has your dog ever been exposed to ANY cat?). Because I think if I understood what was said earlier - - a suggestion was made that you cover perhaps the bottom portion of the cage so that the kitty can watch the dog from on high - and get used to his movements, his smell, (and he can begin to become accustomed to that gorgeous kitty's scent, etc.) - as well as you and your mothers. You may be surprised - - - he may be able to be - and WANT to be - let out more than you realize! Starting this way that you're working on makes sense - - and it's wonderful you're willing to take it on. I've got my fingers crossed that eventually (with some sllllooooowwww intro work that lots of us here can help you with) the crate becomes more of a coat rack!!!

Please keep us posted - - -and again - - - a BIG pat on the back for caring so much!
Thank

ComeBackKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for the read and please don’t judge. I wish I could do more.

I am bring home a semi feral cat that belonged to my aunt. She has COPD and has had him in a barn for about 13 years. The guy watching him is moving so it was me or euthanasia. I caretake for my mother and she finally agreed he could stay. I don’t have a room for him and he is too feral (physical harm) to roam with my dog.

Background said. Scaredy Cat is around 15 or so. He has FHIV and has daily meds. The best I can do is a big kennel and hopefully good interaction in time.

I need advice he’s supposed to leave boarding by Wednesday. Please help! All advice super welcomed.

I’m feeling a lot like a failure. I had to go to DC for a couple of days and when I picked up my kennel project after getting back I realized I misfigured my materials. The kennel would be well over $300. So Scaredy Cat will have a smaller prefab kennel. It should be here Tuesday.

I’m trying to take solace that he won’t be euthanized. And while my mom won’t let him out I can still play with him (assuming he would like to play with me).

Thanks for all of the advice.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't feel like a failure - you're trying hard to do something good for this guy. And we've ALL gone through the "why didn't I measure twice/cut once?" frustration many times! (Or maybe my hubby and myself are the only ones who hurry too often).:)

And you never know - - your mom may come around once she starts to spend time with him in the home (and vice versa). Good luck!

ComeBackKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I hope we can get to a happy home with freedom for all.

Thank everyone for your advice and patience.