Feral Dilute Torbie Recently Adopted

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was told by PAWS-where I got Emma from, that she is a dilute torbie. I want confirmation of this. She also has a black stripe going down the center of her back all the way down to her tail. I know torbie is a coat type not a breed, and I'm guessing she has the mackerel striped pattern. Is she considered a silver or gray torbie? I just want more information on her coat pattern and what her basic coat color is.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Emma certainly is a pretty girl!  Yes she is a torbie, but it will take someone with more knowledge than I have to answer your questions.  Hopefully someone will chime in soon but for now I just wanted to compliment you on such a lovely cat.  And welcome you to TCS!  

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lucky girl Emma is!

She's lovely.

Thanks so much for adopting her and taking such awesome care of her.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see torbie? Unless she has some red/cream spots somewhere I can't see. Yes, definitely a blue tabby, so if she does have some cream spots, blue/cream torbie or dilute torbie would be accurate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We need more good pics.  I alike Willowy, I dont see no red / creme spots, thus, Im not sure she is a torbie, on this pic she looks sooner a tabby.   They can sometimes have some reddish hairs, whom genetically isnt red - it may be they are warm brown, or it may be "rufism".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sent about 6 more pictures of Emma as you all requested to help me determine if she is a dilute torbie and what colors she actuallyhas on her coat. Thank you all who responded so far.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Sent about 6 more pictures of Emma as you all requested to help me determine if she is a dilute torbie and what colors she actuallyhas on her coat. Thank you all who responded so far.
Your pictures didn't show up.  Can you repost them, please?  I'm eager to see if she is torbie or tabby. 

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emma
Feral dilute torbie
What are her colors and is she indeed a dilute torbie? Jill

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, not torbie.  She is no tortie - unless you do see a red spot somewhere.   Although she is a tabby of some sort.  I myself learn out the rule of thumb; if you cant see what it is, its usually a torbie.   But  This here seems to be an exception.  And to my shame, Im stuck.  Shame, because my neigbours Maya, the local revire holder and protector guardian - mouser, is such a one.

Silver shaded tabby?   Lets google on it.

Ps.  She seems verry feral.  I almost got afraid from just looking at her.   :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bingo!   I think my hunch of memory did saved my reputation here.  It seems to be really silver shaded tabby after a guick googling..

Dont ask me what its for animal, and what genes are involved.  I must proceed to read on and "refresh memory".   But here is an answer.

This is a color and pattern - renown from some lineages of purebreds, different breeds.

So this is not a breed as such.

Her breed is surely domestic, and probably short hair.  Although her fur is longish to be a shorthair.  So one nice day somebody may decide she is a medium hair, everything considered.

@jdwns12

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply StefanZ and for doing research on Emma. Okay you say Emma is a silver shaded tabby. Thank you for letting me know that. She is a feral kitty, but she is now warming up to me and gets up on my Lap all the time, and when I put my hand out she runs up to me because she loves to be petted. When I walk around my place she still runs from me, but I'm working on that. The animal shelter worked on her socialization skills before putting her up for adoption. She is 2 years old and apparently already had 3 kittens; now spade, of course. She is very sweet and very playful, and thank God she and my other cat are finally getting along and playing with each other. I've had her for 2 and a half months now. Jill

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can see why @StefanZ was at a bit of a loss, and had some confusion,.   When I looked at the picture in post #10, I thought, "Yep, dilute torbie, I think."  then I saw the rest, and I'm thinking he has it just right.  Silver shaded tabby, beautiful cat, and so lucky to have you!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I thought Emma was a torbie, based on the diffuse stripes on her side in the first photo.  But I agree with the tabby designation now, having seen the other photos.  Also StefanZ is the expert in these things so he is the one to whom you should listen! 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I thought Emma was a torbie, based on the diffuse stripes on her side in the first photo.  But I agree with the tabby designation now, having seen the other photos.  Also StefanZ is the expert in these things so he is the one to whom you should listen! 
The shaded formation are a little tricky, the markings arent so clear cut as otherwise.

Also, Emma has a longish fur to be a shorthair - she may even be a mediumhair, after all. If the tail were the least tiny more bushier, I wouldnt hesitate at all.

And the markings are almost always more difficult to see on long fur.