feral cats and worms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the kind words. It's been a rough day today. I only met this kitty in the winter time and I was so looking forward to being able to see him enjoy some warm weather.

I read your thread Pamela. We did go through the exact same experience! I too was so worried my kitty would have a hard time in the trap. I felt like I was reading my story when I read yours!

I am sure I did the right thing in euthanizing him, even though it is the saddest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

I had a bad feeling about my kitty when he showed up hurt as soon as the weather permitted him to roam. I think he was FIV+ the whole time and survived only because he was holed up all winter except when he came out to eat. It is very rough outside here and there was no way I could put him back outside with the illness.

I had one other stray who showed up on my porch about 3 years ago. That kitty was also FIV positive but he was tame. I was able to pet him and befriend him and find him a home because he was already socialized. Even then, the home was in Springfield Illinois and I was just very lucky to have found someone to take him.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Katie, It sounds as if FIV+ kitties are very near and dear to your heart. They do have the hardest time in a world that doesn't have room even for kitties in the best of health.

In the case of the little FIV guy a few years back, it was indeed a story with a happy ending. He was not injured or feral and so there was no issue of interim care and he was very loving. An old couple adopted him. The mom named him Henry and the dad named him Lou, so he became Henry Lou. They bought a little harness for him to take him on walks.

I had a lot of help- Lisa and Val, two wonderful people who coordinate pointer rescues between here and Springfield. Good deeds make the world go round.
I only wish it could have worked out this way for Prince. We felt much closer to him. Thank you for making me remember the good rescue.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Barb....yes they are near and dear to my heart and I know what a struggle it is to place even healthy FIV+ cats. My hope is that eventually there will be more understanding and a better outcome for these cats in the future.

Katie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With sorrow in my heart and great respect, I move this thread to Crossing The Bridge-

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Barb I am so sorry you had to go through this after all the trapping and testing.
You must be totally heartbroken.

Keep hold of the fact that you did what you did because you care.
hugs
Alexis

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Alexis, that is so nice of you. I still think of him everytime I look outside. It bothers me most of all that I never even was able to touch him once or hear him meow. I had believed all of that was still to come.

The vet asked if I wanted to say goodbye, but I knew I would go to pieces petting him while he was anesthetized, and where it was not also his choice.

I do hope I will get to know him on the other side of the bridge. I so loved him.