Feral Cat

Robi5573

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I recently captured a feral cat by using a live trap, can someone help me about taming her as quick as possible? She's not growling or hissing anymore, she's also purring sometimes, but she doesn't want to leave her nest in me presence.

28641409_1783306915091843_293099981_o.jpg

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my very favorite resource for socializing cats:
Socializing Cats: How to Socialize a Very Shy or Fearful Cat

It's a really great and detailed plan. For cats that are less feral it's useful to just adapt the useful parts, but for truly feral cats it probably works best to do it pretty much step by step.

Personally I think it's best to get the spaying done first and then work at building up trust from there, rather than making progress, taking her to the vet, and then having to rebuild that trust again. But that's not always possible.

Keep in mind that even the smoothest socialization is going to take months for a true adult feral. She is gorgeous! I hope you have success!

WonderY

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, he/she is beautiful! First off and foremost, there is no quick way of taming. All depends on the personality of the cat and how long it's been wild. Get ready for a ride, probably a long and windy one with potholes. Best first move would be to have him/her neutered or spayed. Vaccines and blood work. Sounds like you will have to retrap or work on gaining trust for him to enter into a crate/carrier. I trapped my feral/stray almost 6 weeks ago and am still getting hissed at even though I can pet him to the heavens. If yours is purring...that's a great sign! I think he is truly frightened and you need to give him time to adjust to the fact that you won't kill/eat him. Speak softly, like to a baby, slow blinking and feed generously in the beginning at same intervals. Did you set up litter box? Has he used it? Visit and hang out frequently but before entering either knock just to make your presence known to give him a chance to go to his safe spot. Btw, where is his room? I'm sure the other awesome members will chime in with their advice. Did you name him yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robi5573

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat is a female, and she has a littler box, toys, food, water, she's already playing, but she's still shy, I mean, she wants to remain under the desk.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been to the vet to be sure she is spayed as well as given vaccines and a clean bill of health? The socialization will be easier once she is spayed.

Also time and patience are your friend. When working with ferals it is often one step forward and two steps back. Is there a reason you have to socialize her quick?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beautiful cat! I would, if you have not already have her checked by a vet and take care of any health problems first thing.

Then just make sure she has what she needs for comfort. Food, water, litter box, places to hide, maybe a cat tree, soft bed out in the open as well. Toys to play with, and some interactive toys too, like a feather wand? Then just let her take it at her own pace, if you try to rush it too much it can backfire. Keep things calm and low key, let her set the pace, i have found works best. Good Luck!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t give up! There are plenty of people on the forum who can provide expertise in taming.

She is beautiful and since she’s already doing the right things...litter box, playing, eating...I think with patience you’ll have a great friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robi5573

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will take her to the vet after she's a bit more friendly, she doesn't allow me to take her out, I also have 2 other cats, should I allow her to meet them?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will take her to the vet after she's a bit more friendly, she doesn't allow me to take her out, I also have 2 other cats, should I allow her to meet them?
No. You do not want them to meet until she has been to the vet and tested for FIV and FELV. I would not wait until she is more friendly. Just find a vet that can work with feral cats. The longer you wait, the longer it will be before she can meet your other cats. Also when you introduce cats, it too can be a process. You don't want them getting into a fight when you cannot handle her. I would start to feed her in a carrier so that you can get her into one for the visit.

I recently brought 3 feral cats that I had been taking care of for years into my home. I moved so it was necessary to bring them along. I had done TNR on all of them years ago so they were neutered, but they needed vaccines and tests before I could be sure they would eventually be allowed to meet my other 3 cats. I used a mobile vet. I still needed to get them into carriers. I purchased larger carriers that are actually for dogs. It was much easier to place their food into the carriers and for them to not feel trapped.