Feral cat with possible urinary blockage.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed a 'porch cat' who is exhibiting signs of possible urinary blockage. He's been hanging around our house 3 years. 2 years ago I was able to live trap him and take him to get him neutered and get all of his shots. I estimate him to be about 4 to 5 years old. Since that time I put food and water on our porch everyday as does a neighbor. We also put out a warm box in the winter for protection. I have not been able to get closer than 6 ft to him since that time. Today he was digging a hole and straining and crying. I feel like he needs to get into a vet to be seen, but I have no way of catching him. Would feeding him tuna water be helpful in this situation to get him more hydrated or be worse because it would fill up his bladder even more? I can get him to come up and eat some food, but he will not get near a live trap again. I can't get close enough to net him either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He took off when I stood outside and looked at him too long because he got nervous. I don't know how long it will take him to return, usually several hours.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he's truly blocked, as far as I know the only thing to help him is for him to be catheterized. That's going to be a problem, from what you say. Let's see if any of our experts on handling Ferals will come along with some suggestions.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he come any time after dark? If so do you still have a trap? If the answer is yes is there anyway you can cover the trap with a blanket or something where he doesn't really see the trap and put in sardines or tuna or anything that would be his jackpot food, usually the stinkier the better.. He needs to be seen by a vet asap if it is a urinary blockage.

If he truly does have a urinary blockage I hope and pray you are able to get him to the vet.

Also if you have a pretty large cage that you could prop up and put the food under the opening when he walks under it you would pull a rope to drop the trap.. like the one in the picture

Attachments