Feral Cat With Babies

SoraChiiy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's this cat who comes to our backyard which is right next to my room. No one uses it so she started living there. She had her kittens there so I am kind of concerned about the heat for them. It's 32 celsius and 90 Fahrenheit. She is staying under shadow but it still seems like its hot. I cant get near the cat or it babies since she might attack me she hisses at me when I come near. What should I do to make sure she doesn't get sick from overheat or sunburn or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom cats are really good at taking care of their babies. I don't know if you have what we call TNR programs in your country like many countries have. It would be good if at some point you could get her trapped and spayed, she could then be released. Feral adults are normally very difficult to tame but there is a point after the kittens are no longer dependent on mom where they could be easily tamed. If there is a way to get the mom spayed feeding her would help the kittens.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Few years ago I had the same problem. I used old bath towels. Big ones. Also a big cardboard box she took them in. Very friendly feral. She let me put the kittens in a carrier and take to vet to check their paws which were fine. Also 90°

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put out the water in a place that offers the cat some cover. Such as under or near bushes. Then change out the water at least once a day. If you can put out some dry food for her would also help the mother cat. Is there any chance that other animals might get the food? Dogs, wild animals?

I think Maggie101's suggestion is a good one.

Good luck, and thank you for thinking of helping momma and her kittens.

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello guys i had a question, so i was planning on getting another cat i already have one he is a ginger coloured persian but there is another breeder a few blocks away from me selling a traditional persian and im thinking of getting it. the problem is that we live in a twelve bedroom house that simba my resident cat has laid paws to and im just worried if he will let another cat share it or if he will fight togh i hope the cat im getting which is actually a kitten will be more submissive

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S SoraChiiy as @denise and Anne Anne said, if a rescue group is available in your area, they can usually help you. Feral moms with kittens is something most rescue groups that do TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) work with a lot.

A couple important things:
1. If available, contact a rescue group first before contacting your local animal control or pound. Rescue groups will usually do all they can to ensure the safety and well-being of the animals they work with; a lot of government animal control departments unfortunately do not.
2. It's always best for the feral mom to nurse her kittens for most of the full 8 weeks of nursing. If you are planning to tame the kittens, it's okay to begin to interact with them (talking to them, eventually playing with them once they've gotten mobile at app. 5-6 weeks), just make sure to always respect the mom's ultimate authority with them. Never take the kittens away before 5-6 weeks unless there's no other choice (ie mom abandons them or dies). If that happens, you (or some other human) is now mom. This is a bit of work and lots of sleepless nights bottle feeding (starts at every 2 hours, then gets slowly easier at the weeks go by). There's quite a bit more involved, but I'll let you explore that if the situation comes to that. Main thing is, let mom raise them; over the time this is happening, slowly gain some of mom's trust, befriend the kittens (let them come to you, if you talk to them, eventually they usually will and by that time, mom is okay with you enough to let it happen or happy to get them off her for a moment) and when the kittens have been weened, get the mom fixed and let her go and keep the kittens yourself or find a rescue group or adoption center to help find homes for them. Please make sure the kittens get their shots and get spayed, neutured BEFORE adopting them out. It just makes it easier as you can't always rely on prospective adopters to follow through on getting them fixed which then can start the whole cycle anew again. Many rescue groups can help with all of this part as well.

That was a lot of stuff not answering your original question, but it's definitely important info for your situation.

Regarding the hot weather, as others have said: water changed daily (lots of different reasons for this), some homemade shelter and a little bedding, daily food if you're able (mom needs all the nutrients she can get) - dry is good, wet food is great (may even help with mom liking you (ie trusting you) more. Just don't leave the wet food out overnight as it can attract many unwanted guests not to mention ants). When feeding dry food, only leave a good handfull at a time at most. You want to try to give her only what she's going to eat right away and minimize extra food lying about. This also invites extra guests, some who may even be a danger to the kittens (such as racoons). If feeding her, you'll want to give her food at least twice a day, 3 times is better. She can hunt, of course, but that's time away from the kittens and a steady nutritious meal is much nicer :clapcat:

As others have said, thank you for caring enough to help these guys. Every new person who can take the time to help out helps all of us and the cats who would love to become new companions.