Feral Cat Spraying Deck Daily...

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed a feral and a stray cat on my back deck every day. I've never had any trouble with them and really enjoy it. Then a new cat showed up - big, sleek, and a bully. He started chasing my other cats away, taking their food, etc. This is bad enough, but he's positively covered my deck in cat urine. He's sprayed the doors, the grill, and the railing. He's a big, healthy cat and doesn't need my food and I don't want to encourage his presence. I don't know how to deter HIM without deterring the stray/feral that I *want* around. I've tried spraying bleach on the affected areas but he just re-sprays. My deck steps to the ground are very rickety and need to be replaced, so I don't feel safe going up and down those steps to move the daily feeding location...and I'm afraid if I just leave food out and hope that "my" cats find it, he'll come and take it. He's started spraying in my carport too. This has to stop...we're going to be selling our house in about 6 months and can't have the whole outside reeking of cat urine. But I want to continue to care for these other cats. Any advice??

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should get the cats fixed, the male cat will stop the smelly spraying after it is neutered. Research low cost or free TNR programs in your area. They may be able to loan you a trap to catch the male cat.

Last edited:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm with what surya surya said. Neuter him and he will stop spraying and should stop being such a bully. Also, put baking soda on the wood if u can and then vinegar over it (yes it bubbles and all but gets the smell out) if u can't do the baking soda just put some vinegar on it and wash it away with a hose and it should stop smelling after a few times completely.

If u r selling your house what happens to the others? Are u trying to take them? Are they feral? Is this boy cat feral? I to TNR (not release, rescue though thus far) as all the ones around here are tame and I rehome them after they get vetted to indoor homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will give it a try. I checked around and there's a local animal shelter linked to the TNR search, although I didn't see anything on their website. Hopefully that works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with what surya surya said. Neuter him and he will stop spraying and should stop being such a bully. Also, put baking soda on the wood if u can and then vinegar over it (yes it bubbles and all but gets the smell out) if u can't do the baking soda just put some vinegar on it and wash it away with a hose and it should stop smelling after a few times completely.

If u r selling your house what happens to the others? Are u trying to take them? Are they feral? Is this boy cat feral? I to TNR (not release, rescue though thus far) as all the ones around here are tame and I rehome them after they get vetted to indoor homes.
Oh, and about selling...my husband is allergic to cats. We have two, which is his max. We plan to take the stray (who was abandoned by someone in the neighborhood when they moved), somehow...she's female, and one of our cats is female, and they fight through the glass all the time. Taking a cross country drive with these two in the same vehicle is going to be a real challenge. She'll be an outdoor cat at our new place. The other, the feral? I don't know about him. We can't take him and he's too wild to adopt out. We live in a neighborhood with lots of cat lovers. Hopefully someone else will pick up the slack when we leave.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need any advice on trapping, let us know. There are a lot of people who do TNR here. And let us know how it goes.