Feral Cat Reunited With Previous Bff

miss moogles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all I will try to make this long story short. We built a catio and for 11 months Maurice and Gracie lived there together. They are both feral cats rescued from under a freeway overpass. She is friendlier with people then he is. She is about 2 years old and he is about 4 years old. Before he escaped they were very close - playing and sleeping together, grooming each other. When he first got out she would cry and he would meow back. We also have two indoor only cats. In November when Maurice escaped he stayed in our fenced back yard. We have lots of raccoons in our area and he was hurt by one a month ago. Luckily he had gotten vaccinated the month before and it is healed now. Last weekend we finally trapped him and put him back in the catio. Gracie attacked him right when he stepped out and he has been pretty much keeping to the top shelf on the catio which is the highest part of room and most desired spot. She continues to go after him either when he comes down to use litter box or sometimes she goes up to the shelf and goes after him. She eventually backs down but not before growling and attacking. If I am there I try to interrupt it by clapping my hands. I know she is very territorial and was the dominant one before too. I guess I am wanting to hear how best to address and/or intervene. I know separating them is recommended but logistics make that pretty difficult. The catio is about 15 by 25 feet. Thanks !

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you handle both of them? If so I would try coating my hands with catnip and handling both of them.
Since he had been away for more than a month maybe she feels threatened by his presence or wants to be dominant.

You say she attacks....just threateningly or bites and scratches? Maybe just her saying “you can stay be understand this place is mine”.

Try the catnip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss moogles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you handle both of them? If so I would try coating my hands with catnip and handling both of them.
Since he had been away for more than a month maybe she feels threatened by his presence or wants to be dominant.

You say she attacks....just threateningly or bites and scratches? Maybe just her saying “you can stay be understand this place is mine”.

Try the catnip
Hi thanks for the reply! I can try that. Gracie let's me pet her, Maurice doesn't but I can still put cat nip where he rolls around. She doesn't hurt him but it sounds really viscous and is enough to keep him on the top shelf. He had to poop up there because she goes after him in the litter boxes. Just cleaned it up. Thanks again and I will post an update.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, can you somehow give him more space, more shelving, a divider, a walk-in cage that he can have for himself... poor boy, but I'm glad they have you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss moogles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi that's a great idea. I will look on Amazon .he needs to be up high so a walk in cage could work .The pooping on the shelf was quite sad. He was happy I cleaned it. She didn't go after him tonight but he didn't come down. I swear she is giving him the silent treatment .I think it is getting better each day - but it is still hard!