• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to anyone reading!
My best friend recently decided to adopt a feral cat that has been wandering around her home. No collar or anything but is in her yard a lot. My friend decided to give the cat a very difficult flea bath and noticed that the cat (who is apparently a female) had a slightly wide belly for a feral and possibly some pinking?

My friend and I looked into pregnant cat symptoms, behavior, etc. Based on what we've read, she seems to be 2-4 weeks along (if she is indeed pregnant).
I attached some photos. Could someone tell me if this looks like pinking? My friend and I have never seen a pregnant cat before so this is all very new for us.

Thank you! ^-^

Also would appreciate if someone could someone please identify the brown dots on her stomach!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t be absolutely sure but she looks like she is pregnant. This is the time of year when I spayed females are very likely to be pregnant too. The brown spots just look like pigment in her skin. If they are raised they could be ticks though. It’s time to take her for a vet check. They vet can confirm her condition and make sure she is in good shape fir giving birth if you intend to let her have the babies. Some would advise that getting her spayed would keep from adding more kittens to a world where so many cats go without homes. That is a very personal choice. If she does have babies, then getting her spayed after they are weaned would keep her healthier for the rest of her life though. This is your first pregnant cat? Here is a link that may help.
How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant? – TheCatSite Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She appears pregnant, and is likely 4-5 weeks along if her nipples are pink and her sides are beginning to show. Also, an outdoor living unspayed female stray is almost guaranteed to be pregnant in general, so prepare for kittens in another 4-5 weeks!

Will the cat be kept strictly indoors now?

We have many helpful articles on pregnant cats and kittens at the top of the forum, and we’re here for questions. Thanks for saving her! :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will the cat be kept strictly indoors now?
Yes, we want her to become an indoor cat completely! I just hope that she will allow it since I heard feral cats prefer outside to inside.

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update to anyone listening!
My new cat is obviously pregnant, but I do not know how far along she is. Just today, I was able to see and feel movement in her abdomen. Any idea what week she would be on, approximately? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it's about 2 weeks from when you can first feel movement, but of course there might be some variation due to her weight, body shape, how many kittens, etc.

Is this the same cat as in the first post?

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually it's about 2 weeks from when you can first feel movement, but of course there might be some variation due to her weight, body shape, how many kittens, etc.

Is this the same cat as in the first post?
Yes, this is the same cat. I posted the initial post 37 days ago (little more than 5 weeks ago) and she seemed like she was already quite a bit along on her pregnancy.

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to anyone reading!

I found an apparently pregnant stray cat around 1 1/2 months ago. 5 days ago, she gave birth to 6 kittens!

All seem healthy except one. :(
This particular kitten is second-born and the runt of the litter. I've been noticing that he wasn't getting enough food as he looks almost the same as when he was born. Due to this, I've been bottle feeding him 4-5ml every 2 with great success. Whenever I feed him, I have to take him out of the nesting box for around 5 minutes. All is well.

However, when I put him back in the box, he starts meowing and trying to crawl up the walls of the box. He may be a weak kitten but he can move A LOT. He will go from one side of the box to the other, trying to climb up (which he can't do successfully, of course). This is all while his 5 siblings sleep huddled in a pile. Also note, I try to bottle feed at around the same time the mom feeds the others kittens.

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with anything like this? Everything I've read talks about how kittens less than a week old should barely move. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds like a fighter! :lovecat2: Maybe stimulate him to pee and poop after feeding and hold him a bit longer. Sounds like he is feeling very energetic after he gets nutrition in his system.

Are you weighing him? I think it’s a good sign and indicative of a bright personality that he is so active! Kudos to you for your excellent care of him!👍

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update please! 😊
I took him to the vet a few days ago and they suggested putting him to sleep since he had FKS, but I didn't want to give up on him. I started feeding him and keeping him very warm. So far, he's gained more than 40g in the 4 days I've been feeding/weighing him. His body temp is going up and he's getting a healthy amount of fat/fur on him.

Unfortunately, he's been struggling to defecate. He went around 2 days with nothing and just yesterday starting leaving some trace on the paper towel I used to stimulate him. I've asked so many people and have researched constipation in neonatal kittens but I haven't gotten many answers. Other than the stomach problems, he's doing great! :)

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, he's been struggling to defecate. He went around 2 days with nothing and just yesterday starting leaving some trace on the paper towel I used to stimulate him. I've asked so many people and have researched constipation in neonatal kittens but I haven't gotten many answers. Other than the stomach problems, he's doing great! :)
Thought that I should note that he's been visibly struggling, ie. stomach tensing repeatedly for a 1-3 minutes a couple times a day, especially during and after feeding time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding in the milk. This should soften things up and keep it moving. Also add 2-3 drops of infant mylicon drops to feedings for gas relief. Rub his tummy gently after feedings before stimulating him to poop to help push gas through.

In the meantime, buy infant glycerin suppositories and shave off a tiny kitten-sized piece. Insert this in his bottom. It should bring on a poop in 20-30 minutes with stimulation. If it does not, insert another piece and try again.

Also, mix the formula with clear unflavored pedialyte instead of water. This will give needed electrolytes that will help to hydrate him. A hydrated kitten will poop more easily.

So glad you ignored the vet’s advice to euthanize. Sounds like the little guy is doing great! Ask your questions here first - we have great answers with tried and true results!

Let me know how all this works out. It’s a lot, so give it a couple of days. 😊

P PinkToeBeans__

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding in the milk. This should soften things up and keep it moving. Also add 2-3 drops of infant mylicon drops to feedings for gas relief. Rub his tummy gently after feedings before stimulating him to poop to help push gas through.

In the meantime, buy infant glycerin suppositories and shave off a tiny kitten-sized piece. Insert this in his bottom. It should bring on a poop in 20-30 minutes with stimulation. If it does not, insert another piece and try again.

Also, mix the formula with clear unflavored pedialyte instead of water. This will give needed electrolytes that will help to hydrate him. A hydrated kitten will poop more easily.

So glad you ignored the vet’s advice to euthanize. Sounds like the little guy is doing great! Ask your questions here first - we have great answers with tried and true results!

Let me know how all this works out. It’s a lot, so give it a couple of days. 😊

P PinkToeBeans__
The olive oil and belly massaging worked wonders! 2 days of gunk all gone and he's so relieved! I love seeing him so relaxed. Thank you. :)

PinkToeBeans__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a few questions about kitten behavior.

I just wanted to ask how to tell if there is formula in the kitten's lungs. I think he drank from his bottle too fast and I saw a tiny bit of formula come out of his nose. I read that getting milk in a kitten's lungs can be fatal, but how can I tell?

Also wanted to ask if it is normal that a 9 day old kitten is using the bathroom on his own. He's urinated on himself/his blanket a few times and I've had to clean him and his bedding. Now that he's no longer constipated, he's been defecating on his own too. Is this normal? He still using the bathroom when stimulated before and after eating.

Thank you! :)