Feral cat outside raspy voice

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding a feral cat outside for about a year now. We spayed her this summer and adapted 2 of her last kittens. She is very feral and still afraid of hands. But this winter she started sleeping on the lounge chairs on the back patio. I actually got her a cat house with a heating pad but she would not go inside. (maybe the plastic smell turns her off...) So, I put the heating pad on one of the lounge chairs and that's where she sleeps now.
A coupe days ago I noticed her voice became vary raspy. We live in San Diego, so it's not crazy cold at night but still gets chilly. She does mew when she sees me coming to feed her. And now all I hear is raspy sounds. What can it be? Cold? Infection? Or is it from the cold at night? :coldcat:I wish I could take her inside but we already have 3 cats...
Looking for any ideas and recommendations on over the counter medicine for the raspy voice. Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a very similar situation to yours with the heating pad on the patio chair for the feral who is not adoptable and here in LA it is not that cold either. From time to time I have heard a raspy meow even from my own indoor pets and it never amounted to anything. Watch to see that it does not progress to a runny nose or watery eyes or something that looks more severe.

There are some OTC cough meds that can be used with cats but you are not describing a cough but just a raspy sound. I have used Robitussin as was recommended by my vet years ago, but you might want to check this out to see if your vet agrees. If this blossoms into what appears to be a URI be cautious with your indoor cats.

The cat will not like cough medicine, by the way.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had this happen to my indoor and outdoor kitties. It usually resolves by itself. If this happens in winter time with my outdoor kitties I make sure to put Lysine and Salmon oil in their food to keep their immune system boosted. It helps. It does get cold and snow were I live, so I take no chances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a respiratory infection and more than likely it will resolve itself. I would just keep an eye on how much she is eating and look for any other behavior that says she is sick.
Thank you so much for replying! She seems ok otherwise. Will keep watching her. :lovecat3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a very similar situation to yours with the heating pad on the patio chair for the feral who is not adoptable and here in LA it is not that cold either. From time to time I have heard a raspy meow even from my own indoor pets and it never amounted to anything. Watch to see that it does not progress to a runny nose or watery eyes or something that looks more severe.

There are some OTC cough meds that can be used with cats but you are not describing a cough but just a raspy sound. I have used Robitussin as was recommended by my vet years ago, but you might want to check this out to see if your vet agrees. If this blossoms into what appears to be a URI be cautious with your indoor cats.

The cat will not like cough medicine, by the way.
Thank you so much for replying! How long have you had your feral on the back patio? I am a bit concerned what to do next... We are renting and if we have to move in a few years I am not sure how to help her... Hopefully she will be ok with me holding her by then so she can come with us. My cats seem to like her through the window. 2 of them are her kittens. I try to not let them get too close right now, afraid of infections and such...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In my case, I adopted the two sisters of the one outside and they are almost like little dogs in their affection and behavior. The outside sister though has been a tough cookie. The litter was born under my neighbor's house three years ago...mother, father, and one sister were all TNRed and lost to coyotes. The fact that here sisters are completely happy indoor only cats and sit looking at her through the sliding glass door has not made her want to come in. She has a boyfriend, an older TNRed male who does let me pat him.

If I moved, I would have to trap her and bring her with me, along with her BF and let them live inside and go from there. Since you do not anticipate moving in the near future, I would try to get to some level with her where she will accept some companionship and possibly begin to trust you. It took me two years to bring the sisters in. One, my avatar, started to come in voluntarily for " Christmas cookies" last December and would stay in the house for few hours. Last March during some heavy rain I closed her inside and ran out and grabbed the sibling who looks exactly like her and shut the door forever. Oddly, that one took to being indoor only very quickly once she realized how nice it was going to be.