Feral cat limping! What to do?

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two semi-feral brothers that I've had since they were six months old and they are now five. One of them, G, has been limping for five days now and it's really concerning to me. I wasn't too worried at first - small injuries happen to the best of us - but it hasn't gotten any better. Had he been a "regular" kitty I would have been able to examine his paw and leg to see if I could notice any injuries and if nothing obvious was found I would take him to the vet but as it is I can do neither since I can't touch him. I have been able to look at his paw and leg fairly close but I can't see anything that looks off, no injury on his paw and no swelling on his leg or paw. Does anyone know if there is anything other than an injury that could cause a cat to limp? It could of course be a fracture that can't be seen with the naked eye but I'm trying to think of other possibilities too.

It's his right front leg that is hurt. He does put some pressure on it when he walks and he doesn't hold his paw up when he's sitting. He's also able to jump up on the counter and the cat tree but he is very clearly limping when he walks.

If absolutely needed I could get G into a carrier and get him to the vet but I don't know how he would react there. He may just freeze and let them touch him or he may freak out and fight for his life. There is the option of sedating him but the cost of that is pretty high so something that would otherwise cost $150 with x-rays, which is a lot of money to me to begin with, would end up costing more than twice that much. At this time I would have a very hard time to come up with that. Of course I'm not going to let him suffer or harm him in any way but at this point I'm open to suggestions and ideas. Has anyone else dealt with something similar?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bump!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe try posting this in the feral and stray cat forum.  I think you would get more responses.  Best of luck to you.