Feral Cat In The House

brit1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought one of my barn cats in a few months ago. She was very friendly and as I have to sell my farm soon I didn't want to leave her behind. She adjusted quite well to being indoors but seems like she spends most of her time trying to get out. She goes to every window and meows mournfully and has tried to make an escape out of the door a few times if I wasn't careful. If I had been able to stay here I think being and indoor/outdoor cat would have been perfect for her but where I am moving she would never be able to outside which is why I have been keeping her in to get used to it. Today I looked at her and wondered if she is suffering from being kept inside
I do play with her and she often gets on my bed and lays near me and my dog. I had such high hopes of her being a happy girl but now wondering
Is this normal for a former feral, will she ever acclimate to being happy inside? She is 10yo btw. TIA for any help, I feel like perhaps I should look for an indoor/outdoor home for her but thats probably impossible to find. If I let her back out there is no guarantee that whoever buys my place will take good care of her

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, is she spayed? If not, that would be the first thing to do.Second, Are you moving someplace where you can build a catio? If you can, that would give her a feeling of outside without the dangers.

Cats are extremely adaptable, once you move she may completely settle down since she won’t smell home outside the window. I’d cross the bridge of should she be rejoined after you’ve moved and seen how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brit1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh yes spayed and always kept UTD with rabies vax :) thnx for input. Won't be able to have a catio (moving to retirement community). I was feeling abit depressed about it all but she snuggled up close to me while I was on bed watching TV and that made me feel better about everything :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As she gets on in years, she will be more ready to retire. And in the new location, likely she will not want to establish a new territory anyway. I think that kitties have favorite routines/places outside plus she likely is hearing or scenting prey, especially rodents, and her hunting instincts are getting activated. I am glad that you are taking her with you - retiring & relocating are both huge moves and your dog & cat will be sharing the adventure with you :cheerleader:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good for you and for sharing it with her.

She’s a snuggler? Good therapy for both of you. Give her plenty of lap time, patience and time...she’ll come around.