Feral Cat Has Brought One Of Her Four Kittens To Us

Catbuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very worried about a feral cat which has semi adopted us. She comes for food and purrs and rubs herself on us, no problem there. She recently had kittens but still came to be fed. We were worried about her kittens and eventually found them in a box in one of the barns. We did not touch them but could see there were four. She ran out when we entered the barn which old us where the kittens were. Then after finding them she came for her food and left. We thought she had gone back to her kittens and went in for lunch. All of a sudden, we saw she had come back and sat outside our house with one of the kittens. She does not appear to want to leave and we are worried about the other kittens. We checked on them and they are meowing but what do we do till the shops open tomorrow about feeding them or should we leave it and hope she goes back to them along with the one she has with her at the moment??? HELP!

winksmom

Darling in his basket
Young Cat
Purraise
What did you finally do? Did Mama go back to her kittens? What did you do with the one? Sorry, just a lot of questions with no answers.
The Queen doesn't sound like a feral to me though...maybe a pet someone abandoned? Most feral cats don't come up for petting do they? I once had a Queen come to my front door with a kitten in her mouth. I opened the door and she brought the kitten into the back bedroom closet...then she went back and brought in three more! Never saw her in my life. Cats! Mysterious creatures! :)

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was thinking such...then read what Winksmom said. She may be wanting to move them to where she feels they will be safe. I would only observe the babies from a distance, and only intervene if absolutely necessary. She trust you to keep her and the babies safe. There may be a threat nearby or she senses danger from a predator.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This cat sounds like a stray. Not a feral. Feral cats are not used to human contact and avoid it. Stray cats will often be fine with some, or total, human contact. They just don't have an owner. This cat sounds like a stray. I saw an article once where a mother cat brought a kitten to someone who had been giving her food. It turned out that the kitten was injured, or sick, and it seemed as if the mother cat was looking for help. Keep an eye on the kittens and make sure none need help and are developing appropriately. At some point, get mother cat spayed. Some rescues know of discounts and programs where strays can be altered at no cost or reduced rates. I hope you can find homes for the kittens. Good luck!

I am very worried about a feral cat which has semi adopted us. She comes for food and purrs and rubs herself on us, no problem there. She recently had kittens but still came to be fed. We were worried about her kittens and eventually found them in a box in one of the barns. We did not touch them but could see there were four. She ran out when we entered the barn which old us where the kittens were. Then after finding them she came for her food and left. We thought she had gone back to her kittens and went in for lunch. All of a sudden, we saw she had come back and sat outside our house with one of the kittens. She does not appear to want to leave and we are worried about the other kittens. We checked on them and they are meowing but what do we do till the shops open tomorrow about feeding them or should we leave it and hope she goes back to them along with the one she has with her at the moment??? HELP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catbuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers. I don't know if we made it worse. We were so worried about the other kittens that we took took the kitten back to the other four. The queen did not come back for feeding as usual. We checked on the kittens as we had not seen her for nearly two days and found she had moved three of them and her food had not been touched. The two kittens left were mewing. We did not know what to do for the best, then all of a sudden the queen turned up very hungry. She did what she usually does and gave two meows then left. To our amazement she went back to where she kept going and we discovered she had moved another one. One is still left which is our main concern now as we are worried the remaining one will be hungry. We are frightened we will make it worse. This is more stressful than having my own children!!!!! I'm so scared I have made it so much more worse and will feel dreadful if because of what we did one kitten dies. She's such a loving cat that I feel I've let her down, silly isn't it. Thanks for all of your replies though any help is much appreciated.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much. Your heart was in the right place. It's been a few hours since you last posted. If the mother hasn't been back by now, definitely get the kitten before it turns dark. When the sun goes down, predators can come out and can get the kitten. If the one that was left is the one she brought you, that adds an extra reason to get it. It may have something wrong with it. If you end up taking the kitten in, contact a rescue and let them know you have a nursing kitten. They will tell you what to do. People care for them all the time.