Feral cat had babies in trap

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had this feral cat in my garage for a couple days because the clinic doesn’t open until tomorrow. Last night I fed her and she was fine. This morning I went in to feed her and saw a furry baby. Freaked me out! She did not look pregnant to me and I thought she was a young cat herself maybe 5 months old or something. She had two babies with fur moving around and crying. One other was a pink underdeveloped fetus (not alive).

I moved her to my guest bathroom and set up a box bed with towels, litter box, and food. Is there anything I can do to help her and help the babies survive? She is feral and seems to be running away from me/trying to jump on the counter unsuccessfully when I peeked in the door. I wanted to move one of the babies because it’s kind of stuck under the blanket but my presence is making her worry more. So I just left.

I’m not sure if she’s done having babies yet because there is some blood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn’t attack me and let me get close but it looks like she’s not nursing them and I think she’s sitting on one. Tried to move the towel up a bit to get her up but she wouldn’t budge. Scared to push her too far and then if she attacks.

I happen to have bottle feed stuff in case but I never used it before. I know babies need the food asap. How long should I wait and see if she feeds babies? Scared to end up with dead babies if I do nothing and leave them alone??

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to try to help her. For all my experience with ferals, I have somehow never had to bottle feed or take kittens away from a mother (such a mother being found dead) or help with the mother/kitten process. Others have and hopefully they will be around to help you. Normally, if a kitten is nursing and the mother is accepting it, that is a good sign. The one under the blanket and the blood are worrisome; sometimes a very young mother will not know what to do with kittens. Some bleeding after birth can be considered normal, but that becomes a gray area of how much is normal and what else is going on. You mentioned a clinic and they should at least be able to give you some advice but I realize that is about 24 hours from now given the time of your post.
This article might help you to make some decisions. It covers how quickly you need to start feeding, which seems to be within about 2 hours, and info about keeping them warm.

Caring for Neonatal Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom sounds frightened to death! Poor thing.

Can you move her into a closet in your bedroom, or under a table in your room and cover the table with a sheet or blanket? She needs to feel safe and private ASAP so she will begin nursing her kittens.

Put her food, water, and litter in with her, then leave her to relax with her babies. Close the door so she cannot leave the room though.

Do gently move her off her baby and put them to her nipples.

M milktea

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) that you have? you should put out a saucer for the mom cat very day. She needs the extra nutrition (fat, protein, minerals) to make milk for her kittens. Want condition was she in when you trapped her? Well fed, underweight? You might also try feeding her both kitten kibble and wet food, if you can find it.

Please keep us updated!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn’t attack me and let me get close but it looks like she’s not nursing them and I think she’s sitting on one. Tried to move the towel up a bit to get her up but she wouldn’t budge. Scared to push her too far and then if she attacks.

I happen to have bottle feed stuff in case but I never used it before. I know babies need the food asap. How long should I wait and see if she feeds babies? Scared to end up with dead babies if I do nothing and leave them alone??
Newborn Kittens can die within a day if not fed, the clock is really ticking. If she won't nurse them then you'll have to step in.

The best thing to do would be set up a larger box with a cover or cover a table with a blanket and move her under that, and keep checking. If she won't nurse them then you'll have to do that every couple hours.

Kitten-Rescue.com also has a lot of good resources

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably didn’t move when you came near for three reasons, fear, protecting the babies and possibly still in labor. If you haven’t already done the moving, Wear some protective clothing to approach her like long sleeves and gloves. If she is still in labor she may appear to be ignoring the babies but from your photo it looks like she must have given them some attention because she removed the sac and washed them clean. I’m sorry I didn’t see your post earlier but you are getting great helpers here. Click on the links given in the above posts because the info is very helpful. I am hoping mom is calmer now and feeding the babies. Hopefully she will let you see her tending the babies once she feels safer. Keep them warm and let mom have a quiet space but do keep checking to make sure the babies are okay. If the mom is scared by noises made inside you can try keeping low and soft music going in another room to kind of drown out sudden noises. I found that helped some of the ferals I rescued. You should be able to tell if she finds that comforting after a little while. Please keep us updated and ask any questions you may have. Thank you for saving this cat when you did. The babies have a much better chance at having a good life if they are not trying to live as ferals. Being around a human now means their chances for survival has improved greatly.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing her! Do you have a nanny cam or baby monitor available? That would be much less intrusive. If the babies are in distress, they will be mewing loudly. Keeping their area warm is key. The one baby that I saw in the photo looks well developed with a full coat. Their best option is with their mom but hand-rearing works too. The KMR or a goat milk kitten glop plus quality kitten food are excellent for mama kitty. Please keep us updated!

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. You guys have been the only helpful ones when it comes to cats and feral/stray cats in general so I want to thank you so much.

First day seemed okay but I noticed the kittens kept crying which didn’t seem normal. We put a camera in the bathroom and she only got up once at 3am. She used the litter box (void/poop), had a small drink of water, licked the top of wet food for a short while but didn’t actually eat any, and she didn’t want the dry food. Then she has pretty much stayed in the box with the cats all day today. She has not eaten so I’m worried about that.

The kittens are hopefully getting milk? Honestly I have no idea. I tried bottle feeding but I think I have some crappy nipples that are too big for their tiny bodies and they didn’t want it this morning. Since I noticed on the camera she has not been grooming babies I stimulated them to use the bathroom twice. Then I had to go to work and I’m praying I’m not going to be mandated to work overnight... My work is really bad right now with coronavirus and we’re getting mandated twice a week. I want to take care of the cats but I have to be at work and cannot feed them. I tried contacting two shelters here and they tell me leave them with mom, they don’t have anyone who can take them to bottle feed, etc. It’s frustrating because these babies seem to be hanging on and I don’t want it to go south. But now I’m worried about mom not eating. I will try putting some milk there in front of her and giving her something. I’m also debating bringing her to emergency vet tonight but I’m scared to leave kittens alone or bring them. It’s such a crappy situation. Just trying to take it one day at a time. I hope she eats soon and I hope she is producing milk and babies are drinking it....

Can’t wait to get home so I can see what’s going on. Praying I don’t get mandated...

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all hoping with you. Can you examine the mom at all? I am wondering if she is producing milk. A syringe or dropper can be used to feed the babies but it must be done carefully. A drop at a time so they don’t aspirate it. Some kittens will suck a sponge. It must be one without any soap or chemicals in it. Maybe a makeup sponge?
Sounds like mom needs the liquids. Plain chicken broth might work. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food slightly warm is something most cats will eat if you can get it. The liquid from plain canned chicken or tuna can work. No onions, garlic or other spices can be in the food. The kitten glop mentioned by catsknowme catsknowme can boost mom too! The recipe should be in the link she provided but if you can’t find it, let us know! Very simple prep in that. Plain yogurt, gelatin may be hard to find right now depending on where you are.
If things don’t improve and you are worried that mom could injure babies during transport, you could warm some uncooked rice and place it in a sock as a portable Warmer, put the kittens in a separate box from mom, load all up and get mom checked by a vet. At least you can find out if she is producing milk, nipples are not blocked and she is okay. A warm wet cloth against mom’s nipples may help clear them if they are crusted over.
Just keep in mind that you are giving them a far better chance than they would have had if you had not rescued mom. You are giving them love, care, shelter and comfort. None of us can offer more than that. Our hearts and hopes are with you all. Please keep us informed. :grouphug2:

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you... unfortunately i did get mandated so I have to work overnight now. Which sucks because the emergency vet is only open at night and most vets are closed not accepting appointments. And I can’t do anything for them while I’m stuck at work.

I asked my husband to stimulate them and leave the mom more food. But he said she doesn’t look good, didn’t move, looks dazed. Ugh... ☹

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any honey at your house? If he can rub a bit on mom and/or kittens gums, that could keep them going.
I don’t know where you are but most vets will accept emergencies and take the cat from your vehicle. You may not be allowed in with her but it’s worth calling around and explaining her condition. I don’t know if I can get a private message through to you but I will try.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this new thread. It has a mention of “Catsure!” It’s like Ensure but made for cats. Don’t give her Ensure though! I doubt she could digest that. If you have a Pet smart or Petco near you, most will do curbside delivery if you can call and stop to pick it up, maybe they will have that product! A Tractor Supply May have it too. Any pet supply place is worth calling of checking their website. Here is the link to that thread. Click on it! Ensure for Cats

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you... we actually don’t have honey. I am making my husband drive 30min to my mom’s house to borrow honey. All the stores are closed at this time. So frustrating.

Honestly I’m not sure how she would react if we poke and prod her because we did think she is feral. Scared to ask my husband to open her mouth and rub honey there or put milk in her mouth. I’ll ask him to try holding a bowl near her but I don’t think she will go for it. Wish I could be there to try. Do you think she stopped eating because she’s scared of the new environment or of us bothering her in the room?

P.S we don’t have goats milk, pedialyte, or any milk, and the stores are closed...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! This is an emergency. You need to get her to any vet that will see her. As stated, many are doing curbside.

She either has an infection or she needs calcium. You take the kittens with her initially, but she sounds like she has a fever. She sounds like she immediately needs sub-q fluids and antibiotics. Possibly a calcium and or vitamin B shot. Babies may need feeding too.

I hope you can get help for her today!

M milktea

milktea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An angel shelter/adoption group near me called Room 8 Memorial Cat Foundation referred me to a vet and is paying for mom cat’s visit. She had a 105 fever and they gave two antibiotic injections to see if it goes down. She wasn’t cooperating letting them take temperature an hour later so they sedated and also drew blood. They’re testing for FP(?) etc, don’t know much about it except it’s deadly. Room 8 said they will let me know what happens at the vet later today and if she is sick with that she will be euthanized...

They provided some syringes, formula, syrup etc for feeding and SQ fluids. They warned me it’s an uphill battle and I see now that bottle feeding is really difficult. Not sure if they will survive but I am trying...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! You have your hands full now.

Did mom get sub-q fluids? My concern is that she may have a uterine infection since she just gave birth. Unless there is a piece of fetal or placental tissue left behind, the antibiotics should help, but sometimes it takes about 3 days to turn the corner. Hopefully they will give her a chance to improve and not just euthanize her in a hurry. Are they giving her an anti-inflammatory drug as well? That would help to bring her fever down. Can you talk to the vet? The kittens really need her when she improves.

You and the kittens will get the hang of syringe feeding soon. It is not that difficult. Watch and follow this video and please get back with an update!

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

M milktea

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An angel shelter/adoption group near me called Room 8 Memorial Cat Foundation referred me to a vet and is paying for mom cat’s visit. She had a 105 fever and they gave two antibiotic injections to see if it goes down. She wasn’t cooperating letting them take temperature an hour later so they sedated and also drew blood. They’re testing for FP(?) etc, don’t know much about it except it’s deadly. Room 8 said they will let me know what happens at the vet later today and if she is sick with that she will be euthanized...

They provided some syringes, formula, syrup etc for feeding and SQ fluids. They warned me it’s an uphill battle and I see now that bottle feeding is really difficult. Not sure if they will survive but I am trying...
Sounds like they're testing for FIP, it's 100% fatal and even though there is a cure it's tied up in red tape BS because it also has applications for Human medicine. So unfortunately until that gets greenlit the only option is euthanasia.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are testing for FIP, I know that there is risk of false positives. Vets vary on opinion/tactics regarding FIP. Cornell Vet College has a good article:
I am sending mega prayers & vibes for healing and blessings for Team MamaKitty - they are all adorable & you are a super-trooper for all you are doing! BTW, karo corn syrup works as well as honey as does plain glucose.
Thank you for keeping us updated!