Feral Cat Doesn’t Stay Long In Shelter And Meowing

HoboMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
10147448-12B5-4F73-8324-775613A19C6E.jpeg
69E26405-0DD9-404C-84F9-FD784B8F7D4C.png
I put a shelter in our garage for a feral cat “Hobo”. He learned to come through the cat door, but doesn’t stay in there for more than an hour or so, and now comes in, eats and meows then leaves. What could be the reason? It’s so cold lately (10 degrees!) so why doesn’t he stay? Thanks for any suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HoboMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I don't have experience that's helpful with this, but @Willowy Jcatbird Jcatbird and @1 bruce 1 do, amongst others here :)

I wonder if the meow means he wants you to follow him? I don't know, maybe that's reaching....?
Thanks for your response, Hobo explodes out of the cat door when we open our kitchen door to bring him food. We cannot get anywhere near him. I never saw another cat near him, but I wonder if his meowing is for another cat that’s outside of the garage. We have a motion activated camera, so if another cat comes in, we will see it. I just hope he’s not outside and has a warmer place somewhere. He does NOT miss a meal here in ur garage. He HAD started to stay longer, but something changed along with his meowing, we can’t tell what.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! :welcomesign:
You are doing a great thing for this kitty! I am so glad you posted here about the problem. I’m sure you’ll be getting lots of tips to help you from others here.
Let’s see if we can solve both the meowing and him leaving during terrible weather.

It could be many things but let’s start with, is he neutered? He could be making a mating call. If he isn’t neutered it would be very important to get him neutered. He could end up roaming off, getting into cat fights or getting exposed to illness as well as getting a kitty pregnant. If that is an issue, we can give you information about getting this accomplished. Trapping him might not be hard at all since he is already coming in the cat door.

If this is not the issue, it could be that he is lonesome. Any chance of working towards getting to know him? If you are willing, there are many methods used to get him to allow you near him and to socialize him. Maybe he is more of a lost kitty than a wild one. If so, he could be calling you! He might be scared enough to run now but over time this can be changed.

You’ve made a great place for him!
The cat door opens into the shelter you made for him. Was he coming in before you put the cage there? If so, he may prefer it if you move the cage away from the cat door some. That allows him to feel less trapped.
Can you place a blanket or sheet over it to make it feel a little more private? Cats like to be a bit hidden.
They also like to have two ways to get in and out of small spaces. If that cage has two doors, I would keep both open. If it only has one, you might put a box inside it with two openings cut into it for a safe spot. I think in the first picture I am seeing a cat house inside the cage? Maybe shaped like a small doghouse? If it is the same kind of house that I have used, it may even have a heated pad inside it. I tried using those too. Have you seen him go inside it? If so then that’s great because those have two openings. My own experience here was that cats actually went into cardboard boxes rather than go in those houses. I have no idea why! I had gotten three of them thinking the feral cats would love them but I was not successful with those. Maybe others have had a different experience with them. Cats can be very picky, especially if they are frightened. Most cats do like plain old cardboard boxes though. Lol You can also try putting something from outside into the cage. Something with a more familiar smell to him like some dry leaves off the ground or straw.

Is there a litter box inside? It would be helpful to know that. He might stay inside if there is one. He probably won’t want it inside the cage if his bed is in there too.

I don’t know where you put his food and water but putting it a distance from where you want him to sleep is best. That will keep any other animals from disturbing him in his safe spot.

I am assuming you have been seeing him for awhile. If he is not being cared for then he really needs you. Getting him neutered, shots and a vet check would help him survive and you can make sure he is not hurt in any way or even sick. Crying can be caused by lots of things. He is such a beautiful cat and he has obviously chosen you to trust. You’re doing great to get him to do that! I suspect that since you have done so many great things to help him, you really care about him. Awesome! Cats that live outside all the time are at risk. You are helping to save his life. You have already made great progress with him. Just hang in there. I feel sure this can all be solved. :)

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for showing me this post!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't even begin to help like Jcatbird Jcatbird has! But, I was wondering if you are keeping the cage abutted against the cat door to prevent any cat from wandering all throughout your garage? If so, and there is space for it, another cat cage at least the same size could be affixed to the first one with a door open between the two cages. It would keep any cat from venturing through the entire garage if that is what you are trying to avoid, but would give more room to place a litter box and food/water a little farther apart?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HoboMom HoboMom : Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Thanks for caring for Hobo, and setting up the area for him. Since you refer to yourself as his "mom" in your username, does that mean eventually you hope to socialize him and make him a pet? :catrub:

If so, Jcatbird Jcatbird will, in addition to the advice already shared, be able to tell you all about the feral cats that have been socialized under her care. :hearthrob:

TCS also has several articles with tips and advice.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks rubysmama rubysmama I am thinking this kitty could become a real lover like BJ! It ‘s such a beautiful kitty and seems to want and need a Mom.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Great idea about the litter box! Even a big cardboard box or something else with a litter box in it and adjoining the shelter could be a way to do that. :yess: I knew others would be able to add good tips that had not occurred to me.

I hope Hobo stops being a wandering Hobo and settles down in that wonderful spot!

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm interested in this topic, in part because I built a feral shelter with swinging doors and a motion-activated camera. But also because I can't get the cats in my feral colony to use it much.

I manage a 10-cat feral colony. All have been TNR'd. All have gotten healthier/fatter since their TNR. Many of the male cats go in my shelter, pee/mark, and then leave. Occasionally a raccoon will go in, turn around and go out. Several possums do the same. Since I built the shelter (late summer) only "Ohdee" would sleep in it. Ohdee slept in it for a full month sleeping in the shelter like clockwork...then I changed the straw and he doesn't go it in any more...even though it's getting really cold out now. For the life of me I can't figure this out. I'm thinking that they all have a place to go where they feel safer...maybe the barn around the corner from my property.

As to HoboMom HoboMom 's problem, I was thinking that if she substituted a solid crate -- maybe a large cooler with a door cut into it and a hinged lid (rather than the wire crate she's presently using) her feral cat may feel a bit safer and stay.

Good luck and thank you for caring! :redheartpump:

Here's mine...

shelter03.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Q2U Q2U Hi! Do you have a thread? I saw your post here and have a couple of ideas. The main one is that I found with larger numbers of cats, getting them all in one shelter didn’t work too well. Small groups that were bonded did. Are all of yours related? That helps. Maybe a box inside your box would help. Just a simple cardboard box that they can jump over the side and into would be a cheap and quick thing to try. Spraying by the males inside probably keeps some out. The Raccoons and possums don’t help matters. Just being in there is inimidating to the cats. (The males may have sprayed to run them off) Do you feed near the shelter? I had set up simple tarps with boxes inside on top of boards for possums and raccoons. That helped. Some cats preferred that too. In Winter I kept my patio furniture covered with a tarp and everyone liked getting up on the chairs under there. Maybe something inside your shelter for them to get on top of would allow for more to use it. Changing the straw seems to always have the same result. :dunno: I guess it is just a change in scent.
I love your shelter though. It’s great! I’m sure some of the cats will return.
I’m hoping if HoboMom HoboMom just drapes covers over the cage that will work. Those cages are expensive.:eek3: That worked with the ones here but, of course, every cat is different.

OhDee is precious! I love the video of bath time. Awwww! Sweet kitty. You’re doing a lot for those kitties! That’s awesome. :goldstar:If you don’t have a thread..... please start one. I’d love to see all the kitties and hear more. I’m going to go look to see if I can find you!

Hoping all is going well with Hobo!

HoboMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't even begin to help like Jcatbird Jcatbird has! But, I was wondering if you are keeping the cage abutted against the cat door to prevent any cat from wandering all throughout your garage? If so, and there is space for it, another cat cage at least the same size could be affixed to the first one with a door open between the two cages. It would keep any cat from venturing through the entire garage if that is what you are trying to avoid, but would give more room to place a litter box and food/water a little farther apart?
Welcome! :welcomesign:
You are doing a great thing for this kitty! I am so glad you posted here about the problem. I’m sure you’ll be getting lots of tips to help you from others here.
Let’s see if we can solve both the meowing and him leaving during terrible weather.

It could be many things but let’s start with, is he neutered? He could be making a mating call. If he isn’t neutered it would be very important to get him neutered. He could end up roaming off, getting into cat fights or getting exposed to illness as well as getting a kitty pregnant. If that is an issue, we can give you information about getting this accomplished. Trapping him might not be hard at all since he is already coming in the cat door.

If this is not the issue, it could be that he is lonesome. Any chance of working towards getting to know him? If you are willing, there are many methods used to get him to allow you near him and to socialize him. Maybe he is more of a lost kitty than a wild one. If so, he could be calling you! He might be scared enough to run now but over time this can be changed.

You’ve made a great place for him!
The cat door opens into the shelter you made for him. Was he coming in before you put the cage there? If so, he may prefer it if you move the cage away from the cat door some. That allows him to feel less trapped.
Can you place a blanket or sheet over it to make it feel a little more private? Cats like to be a bit hidden.
They also like to have two ways to get in and out of small spaces. If that cage has two doors, I would keep both open. If it only has one, you might put a box inside it with two openings cut into it for a safe spot. I think in the first picture I am seeing a cat house inside the cage? Maybe shaped like a small doghouse? If it is the same kind of house that I have used, it may even have a heated pad inside it. I tried using those too. Have you seen him go inside it? If so then that’s great because those have two openings. My own experience here was that cats actually went into cardboard boxes rather than go in those houses. I have no idea why! I had gotten three of them thinking the feral cats would love them but I was not successful with those. Maybe others have had a different experience with them. Cats can be very picky, especially if they are frightened. Most cats do like plain old cardboard boxes though. Lol You can also try putting something from outside into the cage. Something with a more familiar smell to him like some dry leaves off the ground or straw.

Is there a litter box inside? It would be helpful to know that. He might stay inside if there is one. He probably won’t want it inside the cage if his bed is in there too.

I don’t know where you put his food and water but putting it a distance from where you want him to sleep is best. That will keep any other animals from disturbing him in his safe spot.

I am assuming you have been seeing him for awhile. If he is not being cared for then he really needs you. Getting him neutered, shots and a vet check would help him survive and you can make sure he is not hurt in any way or even sick. Crying can be caused by lots of things. He is such a beautiful cat and he has obviously chosen you to trust. You’re doing great to get him to do that! I suspect that since you have done so many great things to help him, you really care about him. Awesome! Cats that live outside all the time are at risk. You are helping to save his life. You have already made great progress with him. Just hang in there. I feel sure this can all be solved. :)

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for showing me this post!

HoboMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. No, he/she is not neutered yet, I was worried about getting him used to using the cat door and getting him through January in the Chicago area first. I plan on doing that in February. As to the second cage, I might try that, although it will take a lot of maneuvering stuff out of the garage and really don’t think I can do that in mid winter. In this record cold, he only stayed 3-4 hours at the most, then still spend most of the night outside. I thought he’d be staying inside more, so he “must”have somewhere else to hunker down, although he has NOT missed one meal here. I do NOT have a litter box, really didn’t think about doing that, I figured my space was just food and rest. I wonder if his meowing could be because somehow he smells that I have 4 cat indoor cats? My indoor cats do not even get access to the garage at any time. But I did the cage because I did not want any kind of mistake accident where he gets inside my house or have them meowing at each other and stressing my cats at the back door. I know that might sound mean, but my 4 babies come first and 1 of my cat gets urine crystals, which can be caused by stress. It’s been so cold here, I feel so bad for Hobo. And one of our space heaters just stopped working but its still about 35 degrees and he has a heated bed. I took that green house out, and put an open heated cat bed which he uses.

HoboMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Q2U Q2U Hi! Do you have a thread? I saw your post here and have a couple of ideas. The main one is that I found with larger numbers of cats, getting them all in one shelter didn’t work too well. Small groups that were bonded did. Are all of yours related? That helps. Maybe a box inside your box would help. Just a simple cardboard box that they can jump over the side and into would be a cheap and quick thing to try. Spraying by the males inside probably keeps some out. The Raccoons and possums don’t help matters. Just being in there is inimidating to the cats. (The males may have sprayed to run them off) Do you feed near the shelter? I had set up simple tarps with boxes inside on top of boards for possums and raccoons. That helped. Some cats preferred that too. In Winter I kept my patio furniture covered with a tarp and everyone liked getting up on the chairs under there. Maybe something inside your shelter for them to get on top of would allow for more to use it. Changing the straw seems to always have the same result. :dunno: I guess it is just a change in scent.
I love your shelter though. It’s great! I’m sure some of the cats will return.
I’m hoping if HoboMom HoboMom just drapes covers over the cage that will work. Those cages are expensive.:eek3: That worked with the ones here but, of course, every cat is different.

OhDee is precious! I love the video of bath time. Awwww! Sweet kitty. You’re doing a lot for those kitties! That’s awesome. :goldstar:If you don’t have a thread..... please start one. I’d love to see all the kitties and hear more. I’m going to go look to see if I can find you!

Hoping all is going well with Hobo!

HoboMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response! For Hobo, I have draped an old comforter over all three sides of the cage. Only one side is open where I get access to and where the action motivated camera is. Do I really need to place a litter box in there? Could that be why he doesn’t stay? I thought he’d do his business outside and come back in. But maybe they don’t do that nearby where they ear and sleep for survival reasons?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't tell from looking but what is the floor of the cage - wire? Of course as an outside cat his feet are tough. Maybe a towel inside to sleep on? I think they like cardboard because cardboard is actually soft. Get a box and push on the side on the floor - soft. Caution - my opinion is from having house cats and strays that became house cats, not ferals. Okay, one feral and she liked soft and sleeping inside the bed springs.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they like cardboard because cardboard
+1

I have a lot of experience with trapping ten (1) feral cats and then holding them in recovery for several days after neutering; feral cats most definitely prefer to stand and/or lay on paper or cardboard rather than a wire floor. In fact they will tear apart a cardboard litter box and re-position the cardboard pieces to make a comfortable resting place under them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of experience with trapping ten (1) feral cats and then holding them in recovery for several days after neutering; feral cats most definitely prefer to stand and/or lay on paper or cardboard rather than a wire floor. In fact they will tear apart a cardboard litter box and re-position the cardboard pieces to make a comfortable resting place under them.

For some reason that's so sweet, nice, it makes me smile. Which happens about as often as it does for Grumpy Cat.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason that's so sweet, nice, it makes me smile. Which happens about as often as it does for Grumpy Cat.
Yes, those feral cats taught me early on to always cut a piece of cardboard for the bottom of the trap, approximately the width of the trap and about 12 inches long. When they are recuperating (in a large dog crate covered with a tarp to make them feel safe) I place 4 pieces of un-printed 36" x 24" newsprint (imagine the new york times folded open without print on it) on the bottom of the crate (very easy to pull out and replace when dirty).

newsprint.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you get the newsprint without print, please?