Feral Cat Becomeing Possessive Of Me Around Other Cats.

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he will chase them away if they come near me. one certain female cat use to come close
enough for me to pet her. now all of a sudden she is petrified of him.even at a distance of 100 ft. does anyone have any suggestions?

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he been trapped and neutered yet? Otherwise I'll have to leave advice to those with more experience with groups of ferals.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats give a wide berth to feral toms, it is instinctive to fear or at least pay very close attention to them when they are present. They are ferocious fighters. My cats are wary of the toms, but they are intent on eating so pay little attention to them. Toms usually ignore neutered cats or consider them a nuisance. I would give attention to the feral, petting and stroking him to make him feel more secure, the other cats will learn to stay their distance while he is present. As long as he is just chasing and scaring them, not actively attacking and drawing blood, this is all normal. My bold neutered young male gets his face slapped once in awhile when he gets to close, he 'forgets' once in awhile and has to be taught manners around his elders. Once everyone in your group learns how far to stay away, he will calm down and even let them closer once he feels secure. Try feeding them a distance from each other so everyone gets feel good feelings, even if it is just treats thrown.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. If he is a tom, neuter asap. And or, give them food and love at different occasions and places...

One reason for this behavior may be, he wanna to be sure for the food. You are not only the official Petter, but you are also the safe food source. He wants to be sure he has the lejon share of it...

Otherwise, you CAN try and talk him down. Some caretakers of ferals are very succesfull with it, including the visiting foxes AND elk families... And everybody learns to wait on their turn.
As long they are sure their turn will come and there is food aplenty enough for them all, this tactic may succeed.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to feed a feral downstairs in the common area of my building. My cat hated it and would growl and run around. When I snuck it food she would run up, half jump and slam her front paws down disapprovingly. It was hilarious. Fully fed, no issues but did not want to share. Fortunately another neighbour took over feeding and she stopped stressing.
Cats are very territorial and possessive. So desex if haven't yet. It may not be just about you but city cats do not share well so you just may have to accept.

Last edited:

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lisa1950, you haven't had a chance to get back here yet, I see. :) We have centered on the neutering part, which is very important. In case that is not the problem, I can tell you what I do. Sunny came to me as an adult Tom, with plenty of battle scars. He prefers the barn, which means sharing with two other males (all three neutered, for several years even). When Sunny starts after one of the others, that cat cowering on the ground, I stick a bowl of food in front of him. Works every time. Wish I could leave a bowl of kibble out but Big Boy has his name for a reason.:biggrin: I would hope that, by now, Sunny would know I won't let them go hungry. When a cat has had to fight for every bite of food for years, it may be a reaction the cat can't even control. They need reminding that it's not a fight anymore. That's one thing that really works for me.:)