Feral Back Yard Cat Swats Me When Feeding Him

miss moogles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone
For the last year we have had two semi-feral cats in our outside room - a catio. It is a big room about 15 by 20 feet. The inhabitants are/were Gracie and Maurice. They were trapped under a freeway over pass. Instead of releasing them after trapping and neutering we adopted them with the understanding they may never become very comfortable with people. Things went well for 11 months. Gracie ended up being very friendly and likes affection. Maurice not at all. We gave him his space. One evening (about 5 weeks ago) he bolted out the door as I came in to give them dinner. Long story short, he is now our back yard cat. I have set things up so he has water and shelter but due to raccoons we bring his food in at night. We feed him breakfast and dinner same as when he was in the catio. Almost always when I go to give him his food he swats me with claws out. I bought animal handling gloves and that has worked pretty well for a couple weeks. Last night he swatted me again but above the gloves. I may be giving him too much credit but I don't think it was accidental. When he swats I calmly ask that he please not do that. I feed him on a 3 foot long shelf I built on our fencing so he is about 5.5 feet off the ground when this happens. Any suggestions on how to respond to this behavior would be appreciated. The successful swats always draw blood.
Thanks! Miss Moogles

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way that you could set the food down and then with a long pole push it towards him?

One of my former feral boys did this to me for awhile. I found that by completely ignoring his behavior, it stopped. I also was sure that I was not projecting fear that he could pick up on. It was hard, when you knew that he could draw blood. If he did swat at me, I tried to just leave my hand there and not react. When I stopped reacting, the swatting stopped.

Feral cats really pick up on the emotions and fears of humans. If you are fearful that he will hurt you, he knows that. Is there any one else that could feed him for a bit? That might help too.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Rascal did the same thing when I first got him. (Feral trapped at about 5 months). Like Shadowsrescue , I endured it and after a time it stopped. Now he's a big love bug.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss moogles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! I used a pole before the gloves so I can use it again. My husband's work schedule makes it hard for him to do it but maybe if he gets up earlier. Maurice does seem to have a preference for males.
Do you think he wants me to be afraid? I think he sees the gloves make me not scared so he went for the arm. I saw him chase after a raccoon twice his size last night so I think he believes he needs to dominate by fear. He is a complicated boy. Some part of him wants to be cared for but another part is pure feral. He is probably 4 years old. Thank you for your help!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your wearing gloves, my inclination would be to just grab hold of the paw. You would have to be fast, but just grab it and not let him have it back. It becomes like a hand shake that goes for to long. When he tries to pull it back pull forward a little. When he starts to panic let go. It's uncomfortable to feel trapped. It doesn't hurt them but makes them less inclined to strike out if they don't get their paw back. I mean, what kind of cat does that? Hang on to your paw? That is playing dirty. Plus they can't hit you again, Disarmed!!! It will be just a few seconds total. Don't hold it long enough to give them the idea to try and bite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss moogles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I can try that - I can see how it would deter him! Nice brief awkward hand shake - he won't see it coming.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any composure calming treats or composure liquid max that you can mix into his food. It might help him feel more secure and less afraid and territorial. I used both with a feral that had a hard time adjusting to inside living. I used the liquid as he didn't like the treats. I would mix some into his food morning and evening.

You could try some Comfort Zone phermone spray around his feeding area too. Just a quick spritz might help him feel more secure.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Grabbing his paw might encourage him to bite, depending on how aggressive he is.

Using something like a plastic ice scraper or long-handled scoop to slide his food over would be safer. Some ferals will hold back if you point at the spot where you want to put the food or pick a dish up. It's doubtful that they understand the concept of pointing, but maybe they concentrate on your finger and are distracted. Make a ritual out of it, and he might stop swatting.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ,too, advise against grapping Maurice. At best you'll scare him. He is swatting at you because he's afraid you are going to try to touch him. Grabbing him will only make him more afraid. At worst, you'll end up in Urgent Care with a cat bite.

Some people take a hardline with ferals. I don't. I believe before you can discipline a feral in any way, you have to gain his trust. You can do that through regular feedings and s-l-o-w-l-y making him comfortable around you. Shadowsrescue and jcat have given good advice. There are many threads on this site that can give you ideas for socializing your feral.

I have been successful using a gentle, patient approach. The older ex-ferals that live in my home, all come when called, love to be pet, and never scratch. The kittens I have socialized have all been adopted into loving homes.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been successful using a gentle, patient approach. The older ex-ferals that live in my home, all come when called, love to be pet, and never scratch.
+1 and building this mutual trust takes time, no shortcuts....always yielding to the cats speed

I'm inclined to think the grabbing approach may alienate him or generate an out and out fight. Watch your eyeballs!