Feral Advice—Refuses to Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

silla023

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello dear cat lovers,

I am in need of advice. I've been taking care of a feral cat, he roams around the neighborhood but one day I found him sickly. His appearance looked dreadful, his eyes were barely open. I panicked, believing he was going blind or was near a death experience. I immediately took him to the emergency vet hospital and of course his diagnosis was mild. He had a respiratory infection and we followed the antibiotic schedule until he was all better. Indeed he is very much better and now I've taken him into my home. He was completely filthy with an odor of garbage and his fur was covered in car oil. We gave him a bath but now he refuses to eat. Yes I have other cats, about 4 others. They keep their distant, growling a bit, hissing a bit. I've done this before, taken a cat my cats hiss and fuss but after a week or two they all become best friends. They are slowly approaching each other so I'm glad they'll add a new cat to their clan but I'm still worried. This new feral cat—  he refuses to eat or even drink. He just lays under my bed, sleeping all day. So far it's been about 2-3 days. I'm not too sure if its because he's sick or maybe its due to the new environment. I'm just not too sure if he needs a doctor or not

Thank you 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he has a respiratory infection, he probably can't smell his food, which only compounds his desire not to eat. At this point, his liver may begin to shut down if you don't get some food in him pretty fast.

Yes, he needs a vet trip, and ASAP. They'll give you help on how to feed him. :nod:

Good luck, and check this thread for more advice. :wavey:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above. It is partly normal not eating in new house, but he has been so longer time, so you must do something now. Forcefeeding or so.   Does he let you handle him?

And his is not just hiding. He is lying down knocked... so an vet assistance IS in order... As soon as you can.  They will surely begin with injecting him with pedialyte, he is prob dehydrated now too...

You could try and help him at home, but really, you should go to the vets at first with him.

One positive point.  Being without food is most dangerout for fat cats, they get easily liver damages. Homeless cats are used to longer hunger periods, so this is not SO dangerous for them.

But 3 days without is much.  He is in high need of help now.

Also, unless your cats are rescued ex homeless, or at least, healthy and used to roam outside, dont let them met him yet. Do have some quarantine till you are sure he is entirely healthy.

Do report as soon as you can, and do keep asking questions!

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this kitty!   He sounds more like a stray than a feral - a feral would not ever let you give them a bath.   Keeping him separate from the other kitties sounds like a good idea for protecting them and providing him a low-stress healing space.   He probably does at minimum need more fluids - if you can another trip to the vet sounds needed.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly would not let him go another day without eating. It has been too long now and he must be fed or he will go downhill fast. In the picture, he is very unwell if that is how he is staying all day. He needs help quickly. You can syringe feed him since you are able to handle this friendly stray. Call the vet and let them know what has been going on and that you need to syringe feed this kitty. Pick up some Hill's A/D canned. Easy to syringe as the consistency is perfect. It might even spark an appetite. Have you tried Fancy Feast Pate type canned foods. You can lace some canned food with slivers of tuna as well. Most importantly is eating and drinking. This cat may need fluids from the vet at this point. Bless you for taking him in. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

you could also try spiking the food with fortiflora. most cats go nuts for the stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silla023

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just want to thank everyone for their advice.

I took him to the vet hospital immediately and sadly they found leukemia. 

The doctor before had claimed he was very healthy, he just had a minor cold, so when the blood test was given back I was really shocked for them to have found leukemia.

I had to put him to sleep and I'll be receiving his ashes in an urn in a few weeks.

I'm very saddened but I just want to thank everyone for their time and input. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty.  You did a wonderful thing trying to help him. 

I am going to lock this thread now since he has passed. 

If you would like to post a tribute to him our Crossing the Bridge section is here for you. 

Status
Not open for further replies.