Female Cats In Heat

Poppy110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two indoor female cats both are 9 months. They have both come into their first heat at the same time. Ive noticed one cat will crouch and my other cat will mount her and gently bite her neck. Is this normal for females to do this to each other? How long will their first heat last?

Even though i dont intend to breed them ive read different views to neutering them and not neutering them and am still undecided on whats best. Should i neuter them after their heat cycle?
Is heat a stressful time for my cats and will they be happier neutered?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I'm glad you've come here for advice.

Is heat a stressful time for my cats and will they be happier neutered?
How long will their first heat last?
Yes a heat cycle is stressful for a female cat. Her hormones are driving her to look for a mate, and she'll keep having heat cycles every few weeks until she becomes pregnant, or is spayed. Therefore, spaying your kittens is the best thing you can do for them. So talk to you vet to make the arrangements.

And until they are spayed, be extremely careful when you open doors to the outside. Cats in heat often escape and almost always come home pregnant.

How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door

Ive noticed one cat will crouch and my other cat will mount her and gently bite her neck. Is this normal for females to do this to each other?
I've never heard of that before. Are you positive they're both female?

Here are some TCS articles with more info on the topic.
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats | TheCatSite
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery | TheCatSite
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery | TheCatSite
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed | TheCatSite

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our first cats were sisters and, um, "helped each other out" when they were in heat. It's normal.

Yes, I very much recommend spaying pet cats. It's very hard to live with an unspayed cat---they don't have regular heat periods like dogs do, and can cycle in and out of heat very quickly---and unspayed cats have a high rate of reproductive disease. Plus being in heat is stressful for them, so spaying has mental benefits too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get them spayed and they don't go into heat you won't have to deal with the friendly tom cats. Tom cats will come from 10 miles away to visit a lady who is interested. They will collect in your yard and spray messages to her and each other. They will scream challenges to each other and they will fight -- loudly -- mostly at night.

We discovered our ladies were in heat (they hadn't said a word) when we opened the curtains and there were 7 large tom cats hanging on the screens saying, "Hi'ya babe, wanta come ouside?"

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been my experience that cats go in to heat two or three times per year. (Most research supports that.)

It's stressful in that they want to "remedy" those sexual urges.

Cats of the same sex will, often, try to "help each other out" when those urges arise and there are no other options. But (again, in my experience), they learn that it does no good, is not satisfying, and quit (not to do it again). I wouldn't be concerned about it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about doing the spaying during a heat cycle, or just wait until it's over and rush them in. They will be much, much healthier once they're spayed. Spayed cats have a lower rate of cancer and other diseases.