Female Cat With Uti

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our poor Hermoine (she's 13-14) was going in and out of the box a lot last week, so we brought her into the vet. Honestly, we thought she was constipated, but they did an x-ray and she was not. She did have a UTI, though. So we put her on a week of antibiotics. Her blood work was perfect.

She seemed MUCH better until today. Again, going back and forth into the box. I got a pee sample from her yesterday so we're taking that into the vet for analysis.

Do cats sometimes need another round of antibiotics? We're not panicking, bc she's not a male (we had a male block once-- terrible!), but feel bad she's so uncomfortable.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had a female cat need another round of antibiotics before. I don’t know how common it is but I’ve had to do it. Mika gets a UTI from stress and she’s stressed from medicine, travel, life. ;)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If there was no urine culture sent initially (there often isn't), the infection may be only partially responsive to the antibiotic she was given. My vet usually gives me two weeks' worth of antibiotic, though I generally treat for only 10 days. When she goes back, you may want to request a urine culture to confirm that you are using the best antibiotic and treat for 10 days to two weeks this time. Also, if she gets another UTI, it would be worthwhile to do an ultrasound to find out why. My Bassie (also female) had bladder stones.

Best of luck and please come back and let us know how Hermoine is doing.

NT8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat Salem was tortured for a year with UTIs and bladder stones...our vet had to change antibiotics twice and she was on tablets consistently for two months to break up the stones so she could pass them. She would pee everywhere except the litter box as it was so painful, she became so stressed she pulled all the hair out of both hind legs. Thankfully the medication worked over time and we've had no sign of the same problem since. Our Salem is a tiny cat, still large kitten size so she couldn't have too high a dosage, maybe that's why it took a while to pass, hope your cat is better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just finished a week of a antibiotic #2 and we got the urine tests back. She still has blood in her urine. But her PH is better. She HATES the Purina UR so we're going to try the Hills instead, but at least the PH has improved on the prescription food.

There are no suspicious cancer cells (transitional cells) which is awesome. But the vet thinks that the continued red blood cells are either idiopathic cystitis, OR bladder stones. So to rule out bladder stones, we're taking her in this afternoon for an xray.