Female cat with diluted urine…any advice

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know or if anyone has experienced anything similar….
My female cat, spayed, 6 yrs Old

She Doesn’t have a concentrated urine sample however this has been going on for some time and my vet suspects it could be from me adding a lot of water to her food. She has another visit in 48 hours and my question is. If I reduce her water intake in the next 48 hours, could that be enough time to prove my vets theory?

She has other exams scheduled but I don’t want to put her under anesthesia if she’s got kidney problems.

The reason I add water to her food is bc she doesn’t like to drink from her water bowl or many water fountains.

Any advice welcomed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
My angel Poppy had dilute urine for years. He drank alot of water and pee'd a lot long before his blood test results showed issues in his kidneys.

I never stopped making sure we maintained his dental checkups, cleanings and extractions when necessary even after his kidneys began to have problems.

I don't know about reducing her water intake and whether that will be time enough for it to have an effect. If it does prove the vets theory, I guess I'm wondering what difference will it make?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this the same cat who you posted about having urinary incontinence? If so, could that be related to this diluted urine issue?

Besides the diluted urine, what does the rest of her urine related test results reveal? Tbh, I have never heard of a cat having dilute urine from drinking too much. The very fact that you add water to her food because she doesn't drink enough on her own would tell me that there is more to this story, and it is something else besides too much water causing dilute urine.

If this is the same cat, did she ever go through an ultrasound?

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Don’t restrict water intake. Dilute urine can be kidney disease, diabetes, and some other things. Kidney disease can show up as dilute urine long before blood work changes. There is no way you can give enough water by mouth to cause dilute urine. It’s just not possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this the same cat who you posted about having urinary incontinence? If so, could that be related to this diluted urine issue?

Besides the diluted urine, what does the rest of her urine related test results reveal? Tbh, I have never heard of a cat having dilute urine from drinking too much. The very fact that you add water to her food because she doesn't drink enough on her own would tell me that there is more to this story, and it is something else besides too much water causing dilute urine.

If this is the same cat, did she ever go through an ultrasound?
Yes! Same cat, Keira. She has her ultrasound this week and the vet did more urine and blood tests to check if there have been any changes. I’m hoping her ultrasound will tell us more bc she’s been having these urinary/ incontinence issues for some time now. Nothing suspicious in her blood work but the urine test have been consistent, diluted.

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Don’t restrict water intake. Dilute urine can be kidney disease, diabetes, and some other things. Kidney disease can show up as dilute urine long before blood work changes. There is no way you can give enough water by mouth to cause dilute urine. It’s just not possible.
Thank you! I’ll keep her on her regular diet until the vet tells me otherwise.

Luca2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
My angel Poppy had dilute urine for years. He drank alot of water and pee'd a lot long before his blood test results showed issues in his kidneys.

I never stopped making sure we maintained his dental checkups, cleanings and extractions when necessary even after his kidneys began to have problems.

I don't know about reducing her water intake and whether that will be time enough for it to have an effect. If it does prove the vets theory, I guess I'm wondering what difference will it make?
I’m not 100% sure what it’ll prove, perhaps my vet thinks I’m adding way too much water to Keira’s food but it’s just about 2 tablespoons to her wet food at feeding time. She’s got an echocardiogram (unrelated to the urinary issue) and an ultrasound this week.