Female cat pooping under the chair

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two male cats and one female.  The two male chase each other and sometimes chase my female.  She doesn't really like it but I never sensed it was beyond annoyance.  They generally back off once she growls etc.  Well the other day I found several little poops under the chair she likes to hide.  I am wondering if she is scared and not wanting to go to her litter box since they might chase her.  Sigh.  She is very high strung, and tiny and I worry about her.  I thought they all had an 'understanding" until now to co-exist.  Is there anything I can do?  I wish I had extra room to give her a space all her own but I don't.   I don't want to rehome her since I think she is basically happy here and not an easy cat so I don't think anyone would understand her moods.  I got a Fellaway collar before and it doesn't seem to make much difference for her.  

Any advise is appreciated.  I was thinking I might get a small litter box just for her under the chair.   

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? How often do you clean them? Rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus one. This is especially important if you think she's being bullied around the box. I think adding one under the chair would be helpful to her for now.

To help her with the boys, can you wear them out more? Do you play with them? If you can get all three to play with a laser or a wand toy they may bond, but also they'll have spent a lot of their energy.

You can also add more spaces for your female to escape to and feel safe. Cat igloos are helpful, and if she likes to go up high too you could add shelves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the thoughtful response!

I have two large boxes, which I clean religiously.  But another box sounds wise.

I really like the igloo idea.  She is more of the hider and I can see her liking it.  Last night I closed the door with her in the bedroom and the boys in the living room and I think it was helpful. 

I play with the boys a lot.  In fact I am even feeling guilty cause they get so much attention, I think she is getting lost in the shuffle. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing with them all together could help them to bond.

Definitely agree about adding another box in a quiet space, maybe even a smaller, hooded box for her specifically. Creating some additional safe spaces for her also sounds great.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For 3 cats, you should have a minimum of 4 litter boxes. One box per cat + one additional. Check out Jackson Galaxy's take on letterbox issues:

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/09/27/10-litter-box-tips-part-1/

He has other blogs and YouTube videos covering this topic - all valuable advice!

We now have 4 letterboxes for one cat. Yes, you read that correctly. Litter box is a very important territory for a cat. Our reason for having so many for one cat may be different from yours, but I think your little girl needs a box and space all to herself to take care of her business without feeling added stress. Let me know if you need some ideas or want to know what worked best for us. Good luck and I hope things will improve with some small changes!