Female Cat Not Eating Or Drinking For Days...

Burlews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My name is Angela and I'm new to this forum sort of thing. One of my friends suggested I try this to brainstorm more ideas for potential treatment for my girl Cleo.
Story goes like this:
I have a perfectly healthy 12 year old cat named Cleopatra. She plays, eats, and loves like a kitten most days. I have had her and her sister since they left their mom. No health issues until this week.
Last week starting around Thursday night-ish my boyfriend and I were getting woken up from the sound of her vomiting. It was all clear fluid and foamy clear fluid. Happened again Friday a few times. I then noticed she was looking a little lighter and she felt lighter. Discover she hadn't been eating. Tried offering her tuna which she runs into the kitchen for if I ever open the can or any can really, but she wouldn't touch it. Tried treats, meat baby food, smelly ground meats like liverwurst, fancy broth type wet food, and nothing. She barely sniffs it and looks away.
Saturday morning I take her to the emergency vet.
They run urine, blood, and chemical panels. They also x-ray her.
All her tests come back normal. Her x-ray is pretty clear although the doctor points out one spot that could be gas. Sends me home with Pepcid and an anti-nausea pill. They gave her fluids, anti-nausea, and a GI protectant while there. Cerenia for nausea and Famotidine for the stomach acids. She still won't eat or drink but she has stopped vomiting which is great. Sunday still not eating/drinking.
Monday I take her to a regular vet office for a second opinion and follow up. This doc looks over what the emergency vet did and agrees with the course of treatment. She suggests we send out one more blood panel testing her pancreas. Suggests stopping the Famotidine since she's not vomiting anymore. They also gave her fluids under the skin again.
Sends me home with Sucralfate for a possible irritated esophagus and to coat her stomach.
Hoping this will encourage eating if she feels good.
Tuesday morning I give her the first dose of Sucralfate and she throws it up less than 20 minutes after I gave it. I call the vet and they ask me to come back in for another x-ray.
I take her in, x-ray looks exactly like the one from Saturday. Same spot in her intestines that's questionable gas, hasn't moved. Doc now suggests she may be obstructed with a hairball or feces. Gives more fluids and sends me home with: Laxatone for hairball prevention and Lactulose to encourage bowel movements. Also gave me Mirtazapine to encourage appetite after we see what happens with the Lactulose.
Because of the placement of the possible obstruction he couldn't offer an enema I guess.
We're home and we've given her the Lactulose around 7:30pm. Not sure what to expect and she's still not eating/drinking. She's been just resting since these have been a rough last few days. I know I'm exhausted so she must be just toast not having eaten in days now. Her spirits are still decent. She still purrs and cuddles with me.

Anyone go through something similar? Full recovery? Should I be preparing for the worst? I'm so worried.

Best,

Angela & Cleo
I'm hoping 1 of the vets checked her teeth? Also any change in food brand or flavor? I assume they'd somehow check for urinary infection.. And I read below she's not overweight for liver risk but I had similar experience with a male (its more prevalent in males I've heard) and he was average weight and didn't eat for 2 days, maybe even day and a half it was so sudden. We still aren't sure that's what happened, but maybe yeast or fungal infection? (Not sure what all they test in labs).. Depression from family change or routine change or something? New food bowls? I hate she can't speak to tell you.. Poor baby.. Please keep us posted..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cleoshuman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping 1 of the vets checked her teeth? Also any change in food brand or flavor? I assume they'd somehow check for urinary infection.. And I read below she's not overweight for liver risk but I had similar experience with a male (its more prevalent in males I've heard) and he was average weight and didn't eat for 2 days, maybe even day and a half it was so sudden. We still aren't sure that's what happened, but maybe yeast or fungal infection? (Not sure what all they test in labs).. Depression from family change or routine change or something? New food bowls? I hate she can't speak to tell you.. Poor baby.. Please keep us posted..
Hello Burlews,
Both vets checked her teeth. I thought that might be it too. No changes in food or flavor and they did check her urine.
I don't know if I'll ever know what caused it. Perhaps just getting older and her digestion is slowing down or requires more liquid, or summer got her fur shedding too much. We did move into a house back in May that has hard wood floors as opposed to carpet. Moving doesn't bother Cleo or her sister Phoenix. I brushed them real good before it got too hot out but maybe she ingested more than normal and got stopped up.
She has started eating and drinking on her own again. She's made a few bm's now too that were small but solid. Vet was fairly confident shes out of the woods. I'll just be watching her and her companions litter and food intake much closer for a while if not forever.
Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions. I wish and hope for all the kittys to make a full recovery. <3