Female cat loafing in litter box

RobinsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just wanted to swing by in case someone has some advice for me..
I’ve noticed that this week my cat has gone a couple of time to her litter box and took a little too long. When I looked for her, I found her loafing on top of it. I believe this happened three times this week (other times she loafes next to it but not on top). This is pretty new so I have no idea what is triggering it. Do you guys have any idea why this can be the case or some advice?

Some background: Robin is a 1.5 years old ish female cat. She was a stray (probably abandoned) before living with us. It’s been a little over 3 months since we have her (and she has us) and so far she hadn’t acted like this before…

Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! if Robin has adapted well to your home, this behavior is usually indicative of some sort of health related issue. It is possible that she is having some sort of digestive woes and going to use the litter box sets it off, if not digestive, it could be urinary related. Is she peeing and/or pooping when she does this? Do her stools look normal? How is she eating/drinking/otherwise acting? Any changes in her food that might be contributing to this?

I presume she was thoroughly checked out when she adopted you - as in blood work, urinalysis/fecal check? If not, that would be the first step.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RobinsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thank you! Everything is fine digestive-wise. She’s eating, pooping and peeing normally. She's also been to the vet less than a month ago and they told us everything looked fine! She had a skin fungi for which she got a shot.

The first time she did it was when I bought new furniture. So there were boxes for a couple of days around the apartment. Can it be because of that?

ps: she’s not 100% adapted yet haha I’d say she’s a strong 70%… she’s out and playing but hands a red zone for her still.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, she is just still a little bit unsettled by changes or events going on in the house, perhaps. Some cats can find comfort by being in or near their litterbox - that is one place they become most familiar with given their continual use of it! Maybe the shot had some residual effects?

I'd say if she continues this behavior, try to log what is going on immediately before. There may be a pattern that surfaces.