Female Cat is Spraying

phloxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray cat about 2 months ago, who we believe was pregnant but lost the kitten(s) and just reabsorbed them.

She started her heat about a week ago, and other than her constant meowing wasn't too bad, except two days ago my roommate found she had sprayed in her laundry and today I found 2 spots in my bedroom that she sprayed, on my suitcase and against my laundry hamper.

I was just wondering if this is behaviour that can be managed until I get her spayed in May?

Also could part of this new behaviour be because my roommate's cat, who she was quite close with, did not come back after the winter break?

Any help would be appreciated! I want to keep her so bad but I know I can't afford to be replacing any of my things because of the spraying, so if it's something that won't go away without having to output a lot of money I may have to go back to my original plan of adopting her out to a fellow classmate.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to get her spayed much sooner?  It's not good for her to have so many heat cycles.  It increases risk of pyometra (an accumulation of puss in the uterus which can be fatal).  Also, she will continually come into heat until she gets pregnant.  It only takes a few seconds for them to mate, too.  Plus, if she gets into spraying the behavior may ingrain in her psyche and she may not stop.  So the sooner the better....There really isn't anything you can do to stop the heats.  She will come out of it and go right back in heat in another week or so, maybe even less. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phloxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I can't get her done sooner...

I'm a college student in Northern Ontario and vet costs are nearly 4x more expensive than down South, so I have to wait until I am done school.  >_<

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably cost less to spay now rather than wait and have to pay to clean or replace everything :/. Is there someone who can lend you the money and let you pay them back in May?

This is what cats in heat do to attract males. It's not going to stop until she's spayed (and may continue afterward if it's allowed to become a habit), though she may take a small break in between heat cycles.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of the above, unfortunately they stay in almost constant heat until bred. I want to thank you for giving her a home, even with her 'problem', you will surely be blessed. She will be a wonderful companion once she is spayed. All the luck!