Female Cat In Heat W/ Neutered Male.

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there folks!

I have 4 tom cats & 1 female (all 10.5 months old) the males are neutered since they were 4.5 months old (they mated with her once before they were neutered eventhough I thought they were still way too young, but thank God she didn't get pregnant). Anyway, since then they sometimes mate with her when she's in heat.

I can't spay her right now for medical reasons so I'm waiting till she's a bit older. My question is this -since I searched the internet but didn't get anything useful- My girl even when they mate with her still keeps crying/yowling after a couple of hours of the mating, so why is she doing that? didn't they just mate and everyone was happy? does she only get "satisfied" if they ejaculate?

Thank you in advance~!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the males actually mating with her, or are they just mounting/"humping" her (biting the back of her neck, crouching on top of her and going through the motions)? Does she scream when they mate her, chase them away and then roll on the floor frantically and lick herself?

It's fairly common for neutered males to "hump" other cats (male or female), but it's not common for them to actually mate. If one of your males is actually mating with your female, I would wonder if he was completely neutered, or if he may have a testicle remaining?

As far as your female is concerned... here is how the feline reproductive system works: Female cats in heat normally do not ovulate unless they are stimulated by a male during mating. Ovulating tends to bring them out of heat a little faster, but it doesn't make them go out of heat instantly... normally they still remain in heat for a few days after ovulating. If a female is in heat and does NOT ovulate, she typically will come back into heat again very soon. However if she DOES ovulate, she typically will stay out of heat for a longer period; sometimes her body will go through a false pregnancy (hormonal pregnancy) even if she didn't become pregnant.

Ovulation is typically stimulated by a male actually mating with the female, but can also sometimes be stimulated by a male "humping" the female, or by other means. Some people with unspayed female cats will intentionally stimulate ovulation using various techniques so that their cats do not go into heat as frequently. However this is NOT recommended, because any time a female cat ovulates but doesn't become pregnant, it increases her chance of developing pyometra (uterine infection).

I'm curious, why can't you spay your girl? Does she have a medical condition? There are health risks to going through repeated heat cycles without being spayed, so it's best to spay her as soon as she is healthy enough to do so.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak with experience here but it's common for female cats to mate with several different male cats and have kittens from different tom cats at once. To me this is an indication it's possible even after one mating, she might be still looking to mate. I have heard this from some other people as well. That different cats have different mating habits or the lack of it. Like some don't want to mate at all, some mate like all day (presumably to assure getting pregnant), some show signs of heat not because they want to mate but because they feel uncomfortable.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[...] it's common for female cats to mate with several different male cats and have kittens from different tom cats at once. To me this is an indication it's possible even after one mating, she might be still looking to mate.
Yes, female cats normally remain in heat and continue wanting to mate for a few days even after a successful mating. Most female cats in heat will mate with any available male.
[...] some show signs of heat not because they want to mate but because they feel uncomfortable.
Female cats don't go into heat because they want to mate... first they go into heat, and then as a result of being in heat, they want to mate. There is no purpose to being in heat other than mating.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Female cats don't go into heat because they want to mate... first they go into heat, and then as a result of being in heat, they want to mate. There is no purpose to being in heat other than mating.
Of course. I meant being in heat is also an uncomfortable experience at least for some cats. As I heard from quite a few people how their cats stopped eating just over being in heat. So maybe the yowling is about feeling uncomfortable and not necessarily she wants to mate again.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's true that being in heat can make it hard for many cats to pay attention to food. However, we don't know exactly what cats subjectively experience while they are in heat. It is obviously an intense experience for them, but we don't really know if it is experienced by the cat as "uncomfortable / unpleasant" or "fun / exciting / pleasurable" (or possibly a combination of both).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your insight!

My girl can't be spayed yet for medical reasons (she's allergic to anesthesia) so we're looking for a solution. As for the toms, they were neutered infront of me and I saw the 2 testicals being removed and the tubes tied so I'm PRETTY sure it's all well done.

I've heard about hormone injections for the female that make here "stop" being in heat as a solution for people who can't spay their cats and I've heard mixed opinions about it.. Some say they've been using it for several years and it's all fine as long as it's the right meds and taken at the right time, and some said it might have serious side effects.

I'm also pretty sure my toms don't just hump her, I can see their "pipi" and they sometimes insert it in her lady parts (sorry for the details but I needed to make sure of what's happening so I watched them) but they seem like uninterested, they only do it I guess to stop her yowling cause they get annoyed lol

Anyways, we're trying to figure out how to deal with the anesthesia problem and hopefully we find a way-around! Thank you guys!

P.S: picture of all 5 of my babies <3 <3

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If one or more of your males are actually mating with her, and you can't spay her at this time, I would suggest separating them from her when she is in heat. "Unsuccessful" matings (which cause ovulation but not pregnancy) raise her risk of developing pyometra.

That picture is totally adorable :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astral89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Problem is, my house is pretty small (about 75 m2) and I can't separate them during that time cause there's no space! I'm really worried about the "raise her risk" part.

Several doctors have told me that hormone injections are safe as long as they're not for the long long term cause they also might "raise her risks" of getting tumors. Everything seems to raise the risks for something smh. Hopefully, I can find a way to help her without hurting her :(

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all interventions can have risks as well as benefits. It can be difficult when there are medical reasons not to spay right away. It sounds like you are doing your best to provide good medical care. You'll just have to make the best decision you can, in consultation with a vet you trust.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How did you find out she was allergic? There are different kinds of anesthetics - has your vet considered using a different kind, like gas instead of an injection for example?
If he cannot figure out what might work, ask for a consult with a different vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl can't be spayed yet for medical reasons (she's allergic to anesthesia) so we're looking for a solution.
How was this determined?? There are so many different kinds of anesthesia available. What was she previously sedated for that you found this out?