Female cat in heat since Christmas?

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My female cat (2 1/2 years old) has been in heat almost every day since Christmas. Is this normal?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say no. She should really see a vet. It isn't healthy for a cat to constantly be in heat. Please get her fixed. She can get really sick as a result of too many heat cycles.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats cycle very rapidly, with only a day or two break between cycles.  Even if it happens to be normal for your particular cat, it isn't healthy for them to go through that for extended periods of time.  She really should be spayed for her health's sake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. I am panning on getting her fixed. I was going to have her fixed with the laser surgery, but that costs $300. I found a vet clinic nearby that only charges $50 so I'm taking her there. Unfortunately they can't get her in until April.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
With her being in persistent heat I would be concerned about her developing pyometra (uterine infection.) Keep a close eye on her and monitor her appetite and behavior. If anything seems off, get her to a vet immediately.

In the meantime, I suggest calling around to other clinics and see if anyone can get her in sooner.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have the money right now to get her fixed and I don't want to wait until April. So I'm going to call our local no-kill shelter and see if they will take her. If they do then they'll make sure she's fixed (and also give her a good check up and any shots she needs). It's the only alternative I can think of at the moment. I'm hoping I'll able to adopt her back

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put her through all that pain and misery of being thrown in a shelter, she is a part of your family and loves you, you have a responsibility to help her.Make an appointment for her and pay on payments that is really the only thing to do. for her sake and your sanity. It is normal for cats to cycle almost constantly until they get pregnant but I'm sure she would be a much calmer, quieter cat when she is spayed. Accidents happen all the time in shelters,and what she will go through being put into one is painful to imagine. I know the shelters do the best they can with what they have got, but they are stretched so thin and are trying to help animals that are in desperate, critical need. I know how much it strains the budget to spay and neuter, but believe me, it is MUCH more expensive to feed many more cats brought into this world and to find good homes for them.  I have to pay almost 150.00 to neuter here, but it is well worth it, and I am retired now and earning less.  I did three last year,I can't afford the medical care needed from fights and the endless stream of kittens, that is much more expensive I have found from experience. Put the expense on your  'have to pay' list, one months cell phone bill is much more and somehow we manage to pay that! I wish you all the luck and pray you find a way to manage, please keep us posted!  

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what your area is like, but in our area, one no kill shelter is chronically full and the other one charges $$$ to drop off a cat. I have a friend who says that she got charged $200 for dropping a stray there!

I have a spay/neuter transport in my area that charges $41 for spaying. If they are full, they also offer coupons to a local vet.

Or is it possible to apply for a CareCredit card for her spay?

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll check with the local vets about that Care Credit. I am a freelancer and works has been pretty slow these last couple months so I haven't had the extra money for something like this. Right now we don't even have the money to get food for myself, let alone my cats. I'm selling a bunch of stuff on some sale sites trying to get some cash.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you're anywhere near my part of Michigan but I'd be glad to send you information on our low cost program if it's within driving distance for you. We're in Branch county which is a few miles above Angola, IN and about 1 hour from Kalamazoo.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate that, but we live in Spring Lake so you are a ways away.

mjpeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something to keep in mind....you most likely would not be able to adopt her back. At shelters you give up all rights to an animal when you surrender them, and they would be very hesitant to let you adopt her or any other animal given the fact that you couldn't provide vet care. I'm speaking from my experience volunteering at a couple shelters. Hopefully you can find resources somewhere else that can help.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did find one - the one that charges $50. But like I said, they can't get her in until April. I applied online for that Care Credit. We'll see what they say.

Last edited:

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't get the CareCredit. Oh well, guess I'll keep calling vets until I find one that can help. So far all they want is their money. No one yet has offered to help letting me make payments or anything.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Unless you have a relationship with a clinic in your area, I am very doubtful that you will find a clinic that will accept payments. It's nothing against your personally (though I know it feels that way!) but most vets have had people take advantage of payment plans and bail before the vet collects anything. These people put others who DO intend to pay off a bill in a bad situation.

I would keep calling the low-cost clinic (every day or every other day...you want them to know you!) and ask if there have been any cancelations or sooner opening available. My guess is that they will get tired of your calls and do their absolute best to get you in sooner!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless you have a relationship with a clinic in your area, I am very doubtful that you will find a clinic that will accept payments. It's nothing against your personally (though I know it feels that way!) but most vets have had people take advantage of payment plans and bail before the vet collects anything. These people put others who DO intend to pay off a bill in a bad situation.

I would keep calling the low-cost clinic (every day or every other day...you want them to know you!) and ask if there have been any cancelations or sooner opening available. My guess is that they will get tired of your calls and do their absolute best to get you in sooner!
That's a really good thought.  And make sure you let the clinic know that you are ready and willing to snatch up your cat and go at any moment.