Female Cat In Heat Outside?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Finn is neutered (at around or before 7 months) and is now nearly two years old. For the past day there has been some cat just yowling like crazy outside, and poor Finn has been bugging. He's making the saddest meows, running between the door and the window that looks over the backyard. Last night there were lots of yowls and the sound of a scuffle and he was spooked for a few hours, creeping around and tail fluffed.

Is it possible that there's a female cat in heat prowling around? We have a lot of feral or outdoor cats (Finn is strictly indoor!) and I wouldn't be surprised if people around here weren't spaying/neutering their animals. I'm not sure what else could be getting to him so strongly and I worry about him darting out the door.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have a similar problem but we know who the cats belong to and where they live. The surrounding neighbors have the same problem and unfortunately the owner is irresponsible. I've approached the husband when he was walking their dogs but to no avail. However, in order to help give you some advice I found this post which addresses ways to deter an outdoor cat and spraying. I hope this helps a little, maybe other members can weigh in with their advice.
How to keep feral cat from marking my front door?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it is most likely a female is in heat, which your poor cat hears, and the toms that are coming around to her are scaring your poor boy. Be very vigilant, if your cat escapes he could be hurt in the scuffles that happen often between the toms, but neutered boys are usually ignored, except if your boy attacks trying to protect his territory. Matings are violent and noisy, you may be able to chase the female off if you see her. There is cat repellant available at hardware and farm stores. you might get some and sprinkle it around your property, clapping your hands and yelling does a good job too, but just until the next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh poor guy, having to listen to all of that going on outside. I'm going to look into cat repellant, the yowling is so loud and constant and I don't want them spraying either.