Female 7 year old peeing in the shower

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 6 cats, 3 boys and 3 girls. For some reason about 3 months ago our Sally started peeing in our shower. We have a large handicap shower, only 4" to get into. Took her to the vet, no UTI, did blood - all is good, she needed her teeth cleaned, got that done. We use Swheat Scoop liter, regular and multi-cat - been using this for over 2 years. I have 8 large triangular Natures Miracle liter boxes, got them 3 weeks ago. Sally will poop in the liter box but has stopped peeing in them. She will only pee in the shower and always in the same corner. I am clueless on how to get her to stop using our shower and go back to her liter box. I keep a bowl of fresh water on the floor in the bathroom so closing the door is not an options. Sometimes if we are using the facilities she will come right in and pee in front of us. Then tries to bury it. I have an opportunity to adopt 2 older cats and I would like too but am fearful they will follow Sally's lead. Each morning before we shower we clean the area with Spic n Span, I have also used Mr. Clean as well. I am afraid to put Cayanne pepper in her corner fearful she will go in a corner on the hardwood floor. Please help with suggestions. Many thanks

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a four year old who used to pee in the sink.  No health problems.  But when Daddy goes in the bathroom to pee, Rico jumps up into the sink and pees, too!  It would be cute if it weren't kind of gross....

Even if you can't smell the urine any more, they can!  Try an enzyme cleaner.  Something like Nature's Miracle "urine destroyer" (I'm not sure if that's the exact name but it's something like that).  OCCASIONALLY Rico will still want to potty "bond" with Daddy 
 but hardly ever any more now that we use the enzyme cleaner.  

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is trying to tell you that she's not happy with something in your home.  It might be the litter, the litter boxes or she may be feeling some sort of stress.  I would try to go back to using the boxes you were using (same kind if not the actual same boxes) prior to all this starting.  Also, if you changed litter, go back to what you were using previously.  You might also try a Feliway diffuser and Cat Attract litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it's now a whole 12 hours and Sally hasn't peed in the shower. Just in the liter box. The secret was a can of that canned air that shoots a mist out when a cat walks in front of it. I found the bathroom door completely open this morning so I have to think Sally got a burst of air and she peeled out of the bathroom at record speed.