female 2yo kitty meowing very loudly w/ a toy

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female Siberian Forest Cat (2yo) has been meowing very loudly (any time, day or night), like she's calling out to someone.  We've noticed that most of the time she's doing this, she has a toy w/ her, sometimes in her mouth, sometimes in front of her.  The toy is a long, snake-like soft piece of fabric that used to be attached to a stick to wave around.  My husband thinks she maybe thinks it's a snake she caught and is calling us to show us???  I always go to find her when she meows like this, because the meow is so loud, I worry she's caught or trapped somewhere.  (of course it's always the case she's find and just standing there w/ the toy, but I can't not check on her when she's calling out like that).  Any thoughts??  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My spayed female did this too, and I agree, it is scary at first it sounds like they are in trouble! But I finally figured it out after listening to a feral mom call her babies in to eat. AhHA! THAT was it! Even though she had never had babies it was instinct making her call to them. Of course I guess they could be calling us to eat what they

caught too. So the next time your cat does that, go to her and pretend to eat and praise her for bringing you some food!