fem cat seducing fem dog. DOG RESPONDING!!!

kitkat008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's my first time to have a cat in heat since my previous one lived and died without being in heat even once (it's strange, i know) so i haven't the first clue on how to deal with this ridiculous behavior being displayed by my rescue, Bella. I was about to have her fixed this week but she went into heat first so i had to postpone it because my vet said it's not advisable. Sorry went off track. Going back to the real issue at hand, Bella began showing signs just today and began seducing our adult female dog whom Bella's really attached to. And to my surprise, my female dog is responding by trying to get on top of my tiny Bella!!! Sorry for the exclamation marks but this is the first time I've seen anything like it. Other weird behaviors include Bella sucking on my female dog's nipples early in the morning. Is there something i should do to stop it or should i let them do what they want? I'm stressed out from being up all night because of Bella's yowling and then i wake up to this hahaha. I know i might just be overreacting due to stress but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the "humping" behaviors (where actual breeding wasn't going on) I've seen have always been from female dogs. We had two in particular that humped other females (dogs and cats) as well as male cats! And sometimes they weren't asking for it either. Brandy, our Beagle that died a couple years back, used to hump our female Chihuahua (who often did ask for it) and allllll the cats. Mind you, ALL of them were fixed!!

Obviously, the male cats didn't care for it much. I don't think the females did either. The Chihuahua though, I have no idea. She used to hump the cats too. And Brandy's head. Brandy didn't like that at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, this made me laugh and feel much much better. So it means even after they're fixed, they can still go in heat? [emoji]128552[/emoji]lol. I guess I'm still new when it comes to animal behavior. Still I'm hoping not to wake up to them doing that or anything even more strange than what I've already seen today. Hahaha. Thanks for sharing your experience.

mtgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you are describing is not sexual behavior, but dominance. A lot of people think that when a dog attempts to mount another dog, or in this case, cat, it means the dog is seeking sexual fulfillment. However, the main reason dogs do this is to dominate. A young cat, such as yours, may do this to another animal, or even a human, for much the same reason. You didn't say how long the cat has been part of the household, but perhaps the cat just came recently? Dogs are very much pack animals and see everything in their household as part of the pack. A new animal (cat, dog or anything) is new to the pack and needs to find its place it that pack. Because your cat is releasing hormones, the dog is confused and seeking to assert her place in the pack over the cat. The cat may have approached the dog in a way the dog saw as challenging to her position in the pack and thus the dog is attempting assert her place. To be clear: just because your dog and cat are buddies, doesn't mean your dog doesn't need to assert her "proper place." I have two dogs and three indoor cats. My dogs grew up with cats and recognize them as pack members, but beneath the humans. My cats are very friendly and comfortable with the dogs. But we also do animal rescue work and every time I bring a new animal into the pack, the other animals have to reorder their places within our pack. Because we maintain "leadership" our pets tend to adjust quickly to new pack visitors or members, but if the newcomer tries to push the boundaries, either the dogs or cats will push back. It's all about security and stability with animals. 

Okay, so what does all this mean? Your dog is attempting to assert dominance over your cat. Not a good thing because this means the human is not the leader or in control. Don't panic, it's not a big deal, but you may want to clarify the rules a bit. I don't allow my pets to play these games because I don't think it is healthy. You may want to stop the dog from mounting and redirect her toward a more acceptable role. The cat sucking on the dog is also unhealthy. Not medically, but for stability in your "pack." Once the cat is spayed, she should adjust within a few weeks and not have the hormone release. This is a good time to set and maintain rules and boundaries in your household for both pets. I love when the cats crawl in to sleep with my dogs (they do this all the time) but I don't allow behaviors that challenge the pack stability. A simple redirect will work wonders. You do not want the dog to think she can dominate the cat or vice-versa and reasserting your "leadership" will help stop this. I hope this makes sense.