FELV quarantine - help please

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, if you vaccinate the other cats about every 2 years they will Not catch Felv. Reason. I have 4 Felv positive and 5 Negative and they all eat. Share a box and they get tested every year always Negative!! I know and have had them now 6 years.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, if you vaccinate the other cats about every 2 years they will Not catch Felv. Reason. I have 4 Felv positive and 5 Negative and they all eat. Share a box and they get tested every year always Negative!! I know and have had them now 6 years.
Cornell University has a brochure discussing FeLV. The brochure http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_felv.cfm states the only sure way to prevent transmission is to isolate infected cats from other cats.

I'm far from an expert, but if cats are sharing food bowls, and the virus is known to be spread via mucous, I would keep my cats separated to prevent transmission

milsap35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Cornell University used to be right. The Vaccine you need is every year, but I have had my cats on it every 2 years, and a 15 year old cat that still tests Negative and only had his Felv shots when he was a kitten. [emoji]128533[/emoji] Make sure you keep up with the yearly vaccinations and your Negative cats can live with them!! Yes, share a box, groom, and share bowls. Trust me!! My Vet knows the man who invented the Felv Vaccine!!