FeLV kitten update - conflicted

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if anyone remembers me, but I rescued a kitten, Loki, who was diagnosed with FeLV back in August. I am back with an update!

We had 2 ELISA tests, 8 weeks apart. Both came out as a strong positive. So from there, the vet deemed him a true positive and that was that. Since our resident cat is uninfected, we were advised to find Loki a new home. We searched high and low for a willing adopter to no avail. Finally, we found a rescue 3 hours away that is willing to take him but the waitlist for their FeLV program was 2+ months long, so we are in the waiting period. In the meantime, the rescue requires a positive FeLV test via the lab IDEXX for whatever reason, and our current vet doesn’t use IDEXX so I had to take him to another one.

I am so glad we went to this other vet. She seems so much more up-to-date on FeLV research. She highly recommended a PCR as a 3rd confirmatory test, and even though it wasn’t cheap, we agreed. PCR gives a quantitative look into the status of infection, showing the number of viral DNA in the sample. It’s apparently the gold standard in FeLV testing when available!
Well…he tested NEGATIVE. She was shocked, we were shocked. However, she did say that it’s likely that it’s a regressive infection rather than cleared infection. (Side note: I was previously under the impression that a negative PCR means the virus is not present at all. So I’m a tad confused about that..) So with this POV, he is currently not contagious and his immune system is keeping the virus at bay. However, contracting an illness or being in a high stress situation could potentially reactivate the virus, causing a progressive, contagious infection. With this she told us that it is now up to us whether or not we want to keep him to live with our FeLV- vaccinated kitty, Oliver, or to continue with giving him to the rescue when it’s his turn. She said she couldn’t give us a professional recommendation on what we should do as there is always a risk, but she is a cat rescuer herself seemed supportive of keeping him if that was what we wanted to do. Very appreciative of supportive vets!

So now…for the decision. We are torn. Keep him or no. My husband loves him so much and says yes. But I am so afraid of the somewhat small chance that Oliver could contract it and shorten his life, and he is my baby.

I know this is a personal decision my husband & I have to make for ourselves, but maybe I just needed to vent on here haha.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
So now…for the decision. We are torn. Keep him or no. My husband loves him so much and says yes. But I am so afraid of the somewhat small chance that Oliver could contract it and shorten his life, and he is my baby.

I know this is a personal decision my husband & I have to make for ourselves, but maybe I just needed to vent on here haha.
Venting is good. :)
I'm so glad that you got another Vet's opinion, and I didn't really know that about the PCR test...or that it is the gold standard for felv testing. I always thought that idexx was...and that elisa snap tests are highly unsure.

(I have to say, that first of all,...I am biased...since I did have a felv+and fiv+ cat, Sparky, from 2011 to 2014, who was also found as a kitten, who I could never give up, and loved dearly. He only lived until 2 years, 3 months...and did live with my other cat, Spotty, who was 11 years old at the time. Spotty passed away, in 2015, at age 15.5 years from kidney and heart problems, CKD and HCM.
They both got along extremely well, since Sparky was very gentle, and would sleep and cuddle near each other...not all the time...but often on the same cat bed.)
...However, she did say that it’s likely that it’s a regressive infection rather than cleared infection. (Side note: I was previously under the impression that a negative PCR means the virus is not present at all. So I’m a tad confused about that..) So with this POV, he is currently not contagious and his immune system is keeping the virus at bay. However, contracting an illness or being in a high stress situation could potentially reactivate the virus, causing a progressive, contagious infection. With this she told us that it is now up to us whether or not we want to keep him to live with our FeLV- vaccinated kitty, Oliver, or to continue with giving him to the rescue when it’s his turn. She said she couldn’t give us a professional recommendation on what we should do as there is always a risk, but she is a cat rescuer herself seemed supportive of keeping him if that was what we wanted to do. Very appreciative of supportive vets!
Thank you for posting the above added information, about "regressive infections and cleared infections".
I would have to read more about this online, to understand it...and how it affects a cat's ability to transmit felv...but it sounds great that you actually have a Vet that can explain this...and walk you through it.

It makes sense that she cannot give a professional recommendation of what to do...because of any future risks.
And like you already mentioned...it is truly a personal decision that you and your husband have to make.

I'm kind of useless, in actually helping you, at all, in making any decisions...but do want to understand ...if you are torn...because you fear that Loki will bite Oliver, and transmit the disease ?
...or is it because the Vet said that there are more casual ways of transmitting felv.?

I was always under the impression that it could only be transmitted by deep cat bites, and mating,....not by casual grooming, or sharing water bowls. (I may be wrong here, so forgive my uncertainty...and obviously...not up to date on any new scientific info.)

What ever you do decide...just know that I will be sending you Strength, Peace and Clarity.:vibes::vibes::tabbycat::catrub:

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Nobody but you can make the decision. I can only tell you what I would do. I would keep the new cat and continue with testing as needed. Has anyone discussed vaccinating this cat? Anti-viral medication? I would continue to vaccinate your other cat as directed. Keep both inside only and not adopt any additional cats.
That’s what I would do. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I gave up the new cat, he got stressed and died. Or if he is in fact negative, and he contracted it. I would keep him. But that is just what I would do. I don’t envy your decision.