FELV help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, ok, situation here.

Background - multiple cat household, over 30 cats, it is a rescue type thing (was the last resort for many of them), all cats vaccinated, fixed, snap tested. Only one snap tested positive for FIV.

Cat number one, we will call him Joe. 20 months old. He was born in my house after catching his mom, born three days later after catching. He along with three siblings, vetted for adoption. Only one adopted, one returned, and I ended up with mom, three kitten. All including mom snap test negative for FELV, mom positive for FIV.

Fast forward 20 months, Joe get sick, pneumonia, dies five days later despite efforts. He was not sick and never been sick up until noticing his labored breathing. It was a very aggressive pneumonia. Blood tests showed positive for felv via elisa test. Ok, that was a shock, and I would not even had an felv test done except it was part of the package anyway.

Problem is, he lived with everyone else, so if he is in fact felv, that means he spread it potentially to others, or, someone else had it and spread to him. Advice given is to vaccinate everyone under two years old for felv, do not bother running tests because the idexx would be expensive, and the snap would be inaccurate. Please say what advice anyone here has to do? I am jsut looking to confirm, or any new ideas.

Second cat, Jake, very feral, I took him in because he needed entropion surgery. He has always been in quarantine and does not interface any other cats. He had the surgery, went great. He is at least five years old, more likely 7 at least. He was fixed, vaccinated and lived in a colony. He tested five years ago positive for felv via snap, and about four years later, another snap test positive. I take him and get a pcr test, and it comes back negative. He gets sick, URI, they run an elisa and comes back positive for felv. So, three positives, one pcr negative. I do not know what to make of this. Anyone have any insight?

The priority though is the situation caused by Joe, I am a little in panic and not know what to do. I guess getting the cats under two years of age vaccinate first, and I guess everyone, would be a start, but it seems impossible to even trust these stupid tests for felv. They have the idex 23655 test, but it is costly to administer to so many cats, and the pcr test was suppose to be pretty accurate as it is.

A really suck situation.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right, those tests are notoriously wrong. My 3 cats have FeLV, and the only way I knew something was wrong was a URI that was so bad, and he had lost so much weight, that the vet said he had 'days' to live. his white blood cell count was almost nonexistent, and his test came back positive. That was 4 years ago. Older cats, those over two, can occasionally fight off the infection. My cats were 5 and 6 at teh time, a mother and her two kittens. (they had been sick off and on earlier too.) That is most likely why your vet suggested vaccinations for those under two. Two of mine have been very sick at times but have pulled through. I gave them small amounts of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a lickable treat, and they managed to take a few licks a day. I also started them on DMG, a supplement to build up their immune systems, and LifeGold, a supplement for cancers. They have been symptom-free since. I tell you this because it has worked for me and I hope it will work for your cats that have tested positive, and any others that get sick. It seems to really help. my heart goes out to you, you have a great heart taking on that many cats. I will pray for all of you.......PS make sure they are all strictly either kept indoors or away from outside cats. You don't want any diseases coming in from the outside. If some are outside you will just have to do the best you can, which you are doing. I never bothered with any further testing, I just treat them all as if they have the disease.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO sorry. He died surrounded by your love, you made his life happy and full of love. May God take him in His arms and keep him for you.....RIP precious Jake.......

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Jake F flcat For a cat with FeLV to make it to 7 years old is actually pretty good. They often don't live that long, it shows that Jake was taken care of and loved.

How are the rest of the cats doing?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When cats pass on, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute to Joe and Jake, you are welcome to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Once again, we are very sorry for your loss of these two boys.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.