FeLV+ Cat Sanctuary/Rescue - Ohio?

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a sanctuary or rescue dedicated to the welfare of FeLV+ cats/kittens. Preferably in the state of Ohio. I've searched the internet and am not coming up with much. Would like a reputable, well established organization.

This is not my kitten, it is an owner surrender that tested a faint positive, but will be retested in a week or so. We're hoping it is a false positive, but in the meantime, I'm hoping to find a sanctuary willing to assist should it be a true positive.

Thanks.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one that I know of in NE Ohio, the area where I am from, is a place called Caroline's Kids, but she is not taking in anymore right now, they are full... hence the reason I have 2 new guys when I said I wasn't taking in anymore
I'm also full
There's place in the Cincinnati area also, I'll have to see what the name is exactly, but they have a very long waiting list
It's very difficult to find a place for a FeLV+ kitty unfortunately

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
katiemae.... I knew going in it was a long shot to find somewhere for him to go, but still felt I should try.... He was supposed to be fostered by me for a while, but since he tested positive he is camping at the vets' office for a few days til a retest is done.

Anyway. Fingers are still crossed it's a false reading, and he can still come here in the near future. If not.... at least we gave him a chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Retested kitty, sent bloodwork out to a lab instead of using standard SNAP test. Came back NEGATIVE!!!!!
This is my first experience with a false positive. Is this common? Should kitty be retested again in the future? Being negative and clear of any URI or other infectious diseases, I am to pick him up from the vet tomorrow and he will be introduced into my 'group' (two other fosters) but want to be sure this test is to be relied on?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!!!!! If at all possible I would test him again in another 30 days, just to be doubly sure, but a negative blood test is a very very good sign!