FeLV and Brevecto

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First time kitty owner. Brought home the most sweet playful and loving cat from the shelter. Her favorite activities include following me around everywhere, sleeping next to or on top of me, kneading me, chasing her tail and batting around her fuzzy balls. As soon as I brought her home she was immediately adjusted. I’ve had her for 10 days and she’s consistent in her behavior so far.

I had to leave for a work trip and found a pet sitter to stay in my apartment with her. Prior to leaving I brought her to the vet (Monday). Health is good. She was even friendly(ish) to vet. She was due for flea prevention so they gave her Brevecto. She had never had that brand at the shelter. They also told me FeLV was recommended.

Brought her home and she was back to cuddly and slept off the vet stress. Later that evening she was acting off. More avoidant of me, not playful, still eating and drinking, not in mood to cuddle, and almost seemed like she was hallucinating at times (following things around with her eyes). I assumed this was usual side effect of vaccine.

In the morning, I expected her back to normal. She seemed slightly more social. Didn’t beg for food which she usually does. Her nose seemed wet as she had some litter stuck. She did eat and drink but not with the typical voracious intent. She didn’t want pets. She seemed to lack visual focus. So if I called her name she couldn’t really decide where she wanted to look. She found a spot on the floor and just sat.

So I left for my trip and I’m worried. Mom instincts in overdrive and I looked up FeLV and Brevecto and wouldn’t have decided to give her either. Whe is an indoor only cat so FeLV seems unecessary and Brevecto has way more side effects than other flea prevention.

Vet said to have the sitter bring her in. I don’t trust them. She’s still eating and drinking and using her litter box. She does play for very short spurts. Though generally unsure about people (soooooo atypical as usually wants belly rubs from everyone).
What would you do?
I feel like leaving for this trip as new cat mom has me paranoid. Sitter is on standby and I told him to watch her behavior closely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are normal side effect and what warrants concern? They said they would give her an injection to counter the effects of the vaccine. How long do effects last? Do most cats have reactions like this?

I feel like if I have the sitter take her to a vet I might choose a different vet because I don’t know why they would have given her these meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Those treatments are not going to be considered particularly problematic by most any vet. There are always risks to any treatment, vaccination, etc. you give any cat. I would trust the vet and let your sitter take her there to be looked over.

I don't want to be alarming, but Bravecto contains a specific kind of parasitic that has had very limited, but known side effects such as seizures. I am not sure that sounds exactly like what might be going on with your girl, but maybe she is having (thankfully) a mild reaction. I am not sure I have ever heard of any specific reaction to FeLV vaccinations, but I am sure there are. Nonetheless, let your vet have a 'first crack' at checking her out.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no reason for her to get vaccinated for FELV if she's going to be an indoor only cat without interaction with FELV+ residents.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't a reason for that vaccine on an indoor cat, but it is very commonly done so it isn't anything alarming really, typically. Good to note your cat didn't not react well to it, that should be noted on his chart with the vet office. There is no reason to ever have it done again. Typically it would need a booster in 3-4 weeks if he hasn't ever had it before, I just wouldn't bother...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Have been concerning myself all day reading articles. Pet sitter made it home and said she ate and was active. I gave him signs to watch for and told him not to hesitate. I didn’t want to rush her to the vet because if it was somewhat related to the trauma of the experience, another injection wouldn’t be good.

Read several experiences about cat reactions (fever mostly) to the FeLV. I fully recognize now, after the fact, that was not necessary and will not get the booster. Given that she was eating and drinking and slightly improved in the morning from last night, I decided to give it some time. Sounds like she’s more active from this morning.

Also my work colleague took her dog off Brevecto after it started having seizures. The vet said it wasn’t the meds and it took her a year to figure it out and get the dog off herself. Katia will go on something else next round. Again, I learned this after the fact.