FeLV advice

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, a couple weeks ago my cat Pierre started to have some coughing and sneezing, I took her to the vet and they told me she had a sore throat (don't know if this is the right terminology so my apologies), it wasn't an URI, the vet recommended a SNAP test for FIV and FeLV since they didn't have that vaccine (given that my cats don't go out except to my garden, which is fenced so strays can't get in), well it came out lightly positive for FeLV, the first time I saw the test I thought it was negative, I'll put a pic of the test on the post so you can see.

I felt crushed and felt so guilty because I wasn't giving them the shot, I started thinking how she could have possibly get this and then I remembered, earlier this year my male cat Marie (6yo and neutered) got out and when I found him he had a gash in his back, I got him to the vet to get it healed and got an FeLV and FIV SNAP test about a month and a half later which came out negative, once it came out negative I took him out his "quarantine room" now I'm thinking that:
a) It was a false negative (Not sure how plausible this is)
b) We took the test too early
Because I saw the negative I thought the coast was cleared, well apparently not, I haven't taken him in for re-testing but I'm pretty sure if my sweet Pierre got it, she probably got it from Marie, my cats don't fight and they don't cuddle or groom eachother, they ignore eachother mostly, the only form of contact that they have is when:
a) Someone steals food from someone else's plate
b) They happen to use the same litterbox (I have three litter boxes but they really use whichever one they want, they don't use a specific litter box)
So I don't know how he could have given it to her, given that they don't really have contact, is FeLV that easy to transmit?

I'm planning on taking Marie to the vet next week to get him tested, and my other kitty Patita too, I'm so worried that all three of them are going to be positive.
If any one of them is negative, of course I will talk to my vet to get their FeLV shots, but I want to make sure I'm keeping them as safe and healthy as I can.

Since I found out, I've been trying to limit even more the contact between my cats, just in case any of them are FeLV-, I separated their food bowls even further and started keeping close eyes on them while they're eating to make sure that they don't eat from anyone else's bowl, my only problem is the water bowl, they have several water bowls, but I can't manage to get them to use their own.

I've been thinking about getting a water fountain but I don't know if FeLV can also be transmitted through a water fountain as well or if I should just stick with their water bowls and just relocate them to their own water bowl when they want to drink from one of the other cat's bowl.
Is it possible, if one of them is FeLV-, to limit their contact enough to keep them safe from getting sick too? Has anyone experienced something like this? And also, what can I do for my cat's to have the best life possible, despite the FeLV?
I have two spayed females (6yo and 5yo) and a neautered male cat (6yo)

Attachments

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any answers, but just wanted to say I'm sorry for what you're going through. One of my cats unexpectedly tested positive today so I'm trying to find out similar things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any answers, but just wanted to say I'm sorry for what you're going through. One of my cats unexpectedly tested positive today so I'm trying to find out similar things.
I understand, I've read almost every thread about FeLV, this site was really helpful and has a lot of new information New FIV and FeLV guidelines: What do they mean for shelter cats? » Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program » College of Veterinary Medicine » University of Florida, check the pdf attached in it, I wish you and your cat the best of luck! We'll get them through this :goodluck:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A cat with FeLV can be asymptomatic for years before showing any health issues. This could actually be the case with Pierre. I honestly don't know if while they are asymptomatic they can spread the virus or not, but do know some cats can be carriers of the virus and never, ever get sick.

since none of your cats have ever been vaccinated, it's very possible they all three have it, or the other two could have natural immunities against it. Impossible to know at this point.

Keeping their food dishes separate is a good idea. Not sure about their water dishes. I haven't been able to find any literature saying it can be spread via water dishes. Since it's spread through saliva, I'm wondering if it would get watered down in a water dish too much to spread? You might ask your Vet that question if you decide not to isolate any of the cats. How long have they been together? If it's been for a long time, and only Pierre is positive, then, personally, I probably wouldn't separate them unless it's easy for you to do that. But, of course, that is taking a risk for the other two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat with FeLV can be asymptomatic for years before showing any health issues. This could actually be the case with Pierre. I honestly don't know if while they are asymptomatic they can spread the virus or not, but do know some cats can be carriers of the virus and never, ever get sick.

since none of your cats have ever been vaccinated, it's very possible they all three have it, or the other two could have natural immunities against it. Impossible to know at this point.

Keeping their food dishes separate is a good idea. Not sure about their water dishes. I haven't been able to find any literature saying it can be spread via water dishes. Since it's spread through saliva, I'm wondering if it would get watered down in a water dish too much to spread? You might ask your Vet that question if you decide not to isolate any of the cats. How long have they been together? If it's been for a long time, and only Pierre is positive, then, personally, I probably wouldn't separate them unless it's easy for you to do that. But, of course, that is taking a risk for the other two.
Thank you so much for replying, I adopted Pierre and Marie together when they were just a couple months old and then Pierre got pregnant and she had Patita, so they've been together all of their lives, I don't think it's a good idea to separate them, but I guess I'll have to see what the vet says, maybe with enough distance and vaccinations I can prevent them to get infected (if they aren't now of course :/)