Vegetarian & Vegan Food and Lifestyle

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taco Bell Is Unlocking A Whole Menu Of Vegetarian Items Including Some You’ve Never Seen Before

Their menu has long been one of the easiest to alter to suit preferences/needs but this makes it easier. Well played, Taco Bell. :clap:
Their current vegetarian selection is decent, I'm glad they're expanding it though. And it's good! Their meat is yucky anyway (thus all the jokes about needing a toilet soon after eating it), but the veggie selections are great. Even my niece, who is definitely a meat eater, voluntarily chose a black bean Crunchwrap the last time we went there.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Their current vegetarian selection is decent, I'm glad they're expanding it though. And it's good! Their meat is yucky anyway (thus all the jokes about needing a toilet soon after eating it), but the veggie selections are great. Even my niece, who is definitely a meat eater, voluntarily chose a black bean Crunchwrap the last time we went there.
The steak and chicken are OK. The ground beef is nasty. It comes out of a can. :rolleyes2:

popcorncharlie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked up The Blue Zones Kitchen cookbook. Sooo good. Tons of relatively simple, delicious and very nutritious recipes based on five worldwide "blue zones" -- where the longest living people on Earth live. Surprise: they all eat almost exclusively plant-based diets. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody know what a rounded teaspoon means in cooking? Is that a level teaspoon or a heaping one?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

• A level spoon is the measure you get if you fill the spoon with the ingredient and then run a knife across the top to remove anything above the rim of the spoon. For liquids you will only ever get level spoon measures.
  • A rounded spoon is the measure you get by filling the spoon with as much of the ingredient as possible and then tapping it a few times until the the excess has fallen over the side so that the top is rounded. This will give you approximately double the level spoon measure for dry ingredients.
  • A heaped spoon is the measure you get by filling the spoon with as much of the ingredient as possible, this is known as a heaping spoon in North America. This will give approximately triple the level spoon measure for dry ingredients. For fine powders (e.g flour or cocoa powder) heaping the spoon can give measures four of five times that of the level spoon.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A rounded spoon is the measure you get by filling the spoon with as much of the ingredient as possible and then tapping it a few times until the the excess has fallen over the side so that the top is rounded. This will give you approximately double the level spoon measure for dry ingredients.
Thank you! I wonder why they didn't just say 2 Teaspoons? Seems like the same amount. :headscratch:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you guys help me with ideas to make corn tortillas taste better? They are so plastic-y tasting. I prefer flour ones, but my brother bought me a lifetime supply of the corn ones. 2 huge stacks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Can you guys help me with ideas to make corn tortillas taste better? They are so plastic-y tasting. I prefer flour ones, but my brother bought me a lifetime supply of the corn ones. 2 huge stacks.
I'm with you, I prefer the flour ones too. 👍

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the corn ones either. But they're ok if you brush them with oil, salt them a bit, and crisp them in the toaster oven (or regular oven, whatever). Then they taste like tortilla chips. If you don't want them crispy, try just browning them on the stovetop (over the open flame if you have a gas stove, on a skillet if you have an electric stove). Or make a lot of enchiladas? :tongue:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, dry on medium heat should do it. A little oil and salt wouldn't hurt, depends what you want to do with them.You just want to give it a little flavor and texture instead of the rubbery way they are when not toasted.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help. I want to try making enchiladas covered in sauce too. I'll have enough, my brother bought me 2 huge packages.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see you've already gotten replies, which is good as I had nothing to suggest, as I don't eat tortillas often. In fact, I don't even know if they're flour or corn, though I suspect flour. :headscratch:

I'm such a beginner cook,
You may be a beginner cook, but I think you're a fast learner, going by some of the meals you've posted that you've made. :)