Fellow Raw Fooders, Help! North Wales, UK

pwmpen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

Last October I took in and nursed a very sick FIV+ kitty, a lovely ginger tom about 4 years old. He is the kindest cat and a real joy to have around. He must have been stray for a long time because he was near to death, the RSPCA recommended that I had him put down. I did some reasearch as his bum was like a hose and wouldn't stop leaking, he was so so sore. I decided to try him on raw food and his poo went solid almost instantly, fast forward a few months and he is a healthy 5kg (neutered) tom cat, the most playfull cheeky cat ever.

The issue is, we never intended to house a cat as we are a student couple who have to move away this year! I move out of my house at the end of this month with nowhere to live. I cannot give him to someone that does not understand his nutritional requirements, as I am sure they will try feeding him normal cat food and he will be ill, and they will have him put down! :( Is there anyone in the UK who would be willing to take this lovely kitty? Or even cat sit him for a few months until my partner and I have a place and have found our feet. He is a house cat and is quite happy to sleep all day in one spot, super low maintenance :)

Thanks!

Elliot

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried asking if there are any foster homes through local rescue shelters in your area, or talking with local vets to see if they know of anyone or are willing to put up a notice in their surgery waiting areas?  Raw feeding is not massively common here in the UK but there are other like minded people around.

I'm not familiar with resources in North Wales or have any contacts there now,  but have to say it is a beautiful area:  used to spend a lot of holidays there as my grandparents lived up in the mountains around the Corwen, Derwen, Ruthin area for many years.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pwmpen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the suggestions! As an insurance option if we can't give him away I have tried to feed him very high quality orijen cat food which seems ok with his belly however he's only had a small bit with his normal food at the moment, which means that he can live with me for a few months in my camper van, which shall be my temporary home until we have something more permanent. He likes it in there when it's not on the move and I take him out on the lead daily anyway!

Thanks guys will keep you posted.

Elliot

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a limited ingredient high quality wet food? I'm thinking something like Thrive Complete or Catz Finefood Purr (or Nature's Menu pouches if he can handle mixed protein sources). They're not so far from raw, and might work well for him. Thrive and Catz Finefood are available from https://www.zooplus.co.uk. They have other very pure wet foods too - a great resource imo ;)

rita-rabbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what about Butchers Classic tins? most supermarkets sell it (I'm in London, UK) chunks in gravy - no fillers (1 of mine has allergies to "usual" supermarket wet foods, of all prices - read the ingredients a long list a no-no!)

Animonda Carni tins are excellent too - cost more & you need to order online: zooplus or zoofast - I feed this when mine are left in the automatic feeder - v solid meat - no additives

you will need to get a move on with the changes in his food however as being separated from you may well affect his tummy regardless.

good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pwmpen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

An update, Pwmpen is now on Applaws dry food and a pouch of natures menu 96% chicken wet food a day, which, whilst not being particularly cheap, seems to work for him and that's what matters. He also lives happily in my camper van with a daily long walk (sometimes carried until he finds something he's interested in!) and as such we've elected to take him adventuring this summer with us, and then let him have the run of a family members french farmhouse with us for a month. Hopefully as it's very quiet there and enclosed we can let him enjoy some supervised time in the sun.

Spoilt kitty!

Thanks for all the help

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news :clap: I'm so glad you've found food that works for him :D It sounds like he'll have a ball adventuring with you :9: